Find results that contain...
Find results in...

17 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

This one may be familiar.

Maybe we're out for laughs, a girl and a boy
Kiddin' across a table for two!
But haven't you got a hunch that this is the real McCoy,
And all the things we tell each other are true

The song was written by one of the best known song writing teams of all times.  The movie was set in Iowa.  Now, isn't kind of fun to have a few clues and to try and put them together?

I've known the answer right from the get-go, but I was kind of hoping somebody else might take a crack at it.  However, since no one has and to keep things moving along, the song is Isn't It Kinda Fun?, written for State Fair (1945) by Rodgers & Hammerstein and sung by Dick Haymes and Vivian Blaine.

You are certainly correct, Starlit.  Here is a clip:

Starlit, I obviously knew your last one right away, as you did with this one.  Apparently, no one else cares to do any research, but I'm happy to keep playing the game with you.  If someone else jumps in, all the better.  It's your turn now.

• Thanks 1

The song is "After You Get What You Want You Don't Want It".  It was written by Irving Berlin and sung by Marilyn Monroe in the 1954 movie "There's No Business Like Show Business".  Here's a bit of a strange coincidence.  The previous song was from the 1945 version of "State Fair" which featured veteran character actor Frank McHugh in a supporting role and this movie also features McHugh in a small part.  Of course, Marilyn never had small parts, as you will see in this clip:

• Like 1

Here's a song that's probably all but forgotten by one of America's great songwriters.  It is very pretty and from a rather patriotic forties movie.

I've got your picture by my bed
'Twill soon be placed beneath my head
To keep me company the whole night through  

Very good, Starlit.  I have the impression that Cpl. Burrell had some previous singing experience.  Thanks for the clip.  I had never heard the song before I saw "This Is The Army".

Back to you for the next one, Starlit.

• Thanks 1

The song is "Love Isn't Born, It's Made".  It was written by Arthur Schwartz and Frank Loesser and sung by Ann Sheridan and chorus in the 1943 movie "Thank Your Lucky Stars".   Here is a clip:

That's correct, Starlit, and thanks for the clip.  Judy looked quite a bit like the picture in your avatar.  Of course, Mary Astor would also play her mother in "Meet Me In St. Louis" some years later.  Now it's back to you, Star.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

This title song was sung by a chorus of men to the love goddess of the screen.

"Cover Girl

That Girl On The Cover)"--

Cover Girl,

Starring Rita Hayworth & 

Gene Kelly 

Music by Jerome Kern 

Lyrics by Ira Gershwin

• Like 1

It's "That Old Devil Moon" written by E.Y. Harburg and Burton Lane for the 1940's Broadway show "Finian's Rainbow".    The movie was made in 1968 and starred Fred Astaire as Finian.  The song was sung by Petula Clark and Don Francks.  Here it is:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

It's "That Old Devil Moon" written by E.Y. Harburg and Burton Lane for the 1940's Broadway show "Finian's Rainbow".    The movie was made in 1968 and starred Fred Astaire as Finian.  The song was sung by Petula Clark and Don Francks.  Here it is:

Thanks, Miles for the video. Happens to be my favorite song this week. 

Your turn.....