Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Briefly Lyrical

Princess of Tap

40 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

The song is "Love, Look Away", written by Rodgers and Hammerstein for "Flower Drum Song".  I checked IMDB and found it was performed by Reiko Sato, who was dubbed by Marilyn Horne.

Thanks, Miles, for giving us this video of that wonderful jazz dance choreography by 

Mr Pan.

It's all yours.....

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Here's one that may be familiar.

Ask him to sit this one out
And while you're alone
I'll tell the waiter to tell him
He's wanted on the telephone 

Irving Berlin wrote this song, "Change Partners", for Fred Astaire for the movie "Carefree".

2 hours ago, starliteyes said:

The song is The Boy Next Door sung by Judy Garland in Meet Me in St. Louis and written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane.

Star, I don't know how you felt, but that was my favorite number the first time I saw Judy in her pivotal movie. 

As a kid, I liked the song so much I couldn't figure out why she didn't sing it anymore. ☹️ 

Star, thanks and it's your turn.....

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 2:33 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Star, I don't know how you felt, but that was my favorite number the first time I saw Judy in her pivotal movie. 

As a kid, I liked the song so much I couldn't figure out why she didn't sing it anymore. ☹️ 

Star, thanks and it's your turn.....

I've always liked that song a lot.  It seems that it was originally included in the medley of movie songs Judy did (You Made Me Love You, For Me and My Gal and The Trolley Song).  My guess is that it was dropped because it slowed the medley down and/or made it too long.  I do seem to recall her singing it on her at least once.

Next:

We're just like a couple of tots

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I've always liked that song a lot.  It seems that it was originally included in the medley of movie songs Judy did (You Made Me Love You, For Me and My Gal and The Trolley Song).  My guess is that it was dropped because it slowed the medley down and/or made it too long.  I do seem to recall her singing it on her at least once.

Next:

We're just like a couple of tots

"Running across a meadow

Pickin' up lots of forget-me-nots"

"You Make Me feel So Young"  was one of Frank Sinatra's favorite songs to sing. But I don't believe he sang it in the movie.

It was written for a 20th Century Fox musical, "Three Little Girls in Blue", starring June Haver, Vera-Ellen and Vivian Blaine.

Josef Myrow wrote the music along with the great Mack Gordon writing the lyrics.

• Like 1

That's right, Princess.  The song was "sung" by Vera-Ellen & Charles Smith (dubbed by Carol Stewart & Del Porter, respectively).  Curiously, Charles Smith, who appeared in uncredited roles in numerous films, receives no billing in this film in which he actually plays a character with a name and even gets to introduce, along with Vera-Ellen, the one song in the movie that has become an enduring standard.  Makes no sense at all. 

Oh, well, on to the next lyrical challenge, and it's up to you, Princess!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

The song is Josephine by Cole Porter from Silk Stockings, the musical version of Ninotchka.  It was sung by Janis Paige in the movie, but I don't believe it is heard in its entirety.

Yes, it's cut short but we see enough of it to enjoy the fun.

Star, you're up.

• Like 1

I believe the song is "Ooh, What I'll Do (To That Wild Hungarian)".  It was written by Friedrich Hollander and Leo Robin and sung by Betty Grable and chorus in the 1948 movie "That Lady In Ermine".    It's the first song in this video:

• Like 1

Good work, Miles!  I thought I'd have to give several more clues before anyone got this, but you saved me from having to go through that.  Did you know that off-screen Betty Grable and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. didn't have any great love for each other?

And it's back to you, Miles.