Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Briefly Lyrical

Princess of Tap

You are correct, Starlit.  Thanks for the video clip.  Gene was in his late sixties when he made this 1980 movie.   By the way, his character in the film, Danny McGuire, was supposedly the same character that he played in "Cover Girl" in 1943. 

Nice work, Star.  You're up next. 

• Thanks 1

Looks as though we're on an Irving Berlin kick.  Those lyrics are from the song Blue Skies.  It was sung by Bing Crosby in the film of the same name.  Bing also sings it, along with Danny Kaye in White Christmas.  However, before those renditions, Al Jolson sang it in the first talking picture, The Jazz Singer.  The song was written the year before the picture came out in 1927.  Here's Al to sing it for you now:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

Looks as though we're on an Irving Berlin kick.  Those lyrics are from the song Blue Skies.  It was sung by Bing Crosby in the film of the same name.  Bing also sings it, along with Danny Kaye in White Christmas.  However, before those renditions, Al Jolson sang it in the first talking picture, The Jazz Singer.  The song was written the year before the picture came out in 1927.  Here's Al to sing it for you now:

Star, thorough and complete movie bio for that song. It was my first Irving Berlin favorite after White Christmas.

It's all yours.....

• Thanks 1

The song is "I'm A Dreamer, Aren't We All" written by DeSylva, Brown, and Henderson and sung by Janet Gaynor in the 1929 film "Sunny Side Up".   Here is Janet:

By the way, there's no truth to the rumor that in Canada the song is known as 'I'm A Dreamer, Montreal".

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:38 PM, MilesArcher said:

This one's an old standard that has been in several movies. 

And if you should kiss the way you kiss,
When we're alone,
You'd make ev'ry girl and man
A fan worshiping at your throne. 

Miles, au secours, ayuda--translated into I need some help. 🤭

The title is very similar to a play and movie written by Neil Simon and featuring Ann-Margret.  The song was also performed by an All-American type blonde woman in a movie playing herself entertaining servicemen at a military hospital in the early fifties.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:38 PM, MilesArcher said:

This one's an old standard that has been in several movies. 

And if you should kiss the way you kiss,
When we're alone,
You'd make ev'ry girl and man
A fan worshiping at your throne. 

Well, Miles, you caught me with my tap shoes unbuckled. I'd forgotten this one because it was not written for a movie. But it's used in movies, and a lot of documentaries about movies. That's got to be a one in a million song.

"You Oughta Be In Pictures"--music by Dana Suesse and lyrics by Edward Heyman

It was a hit for Rudy Vallee in 1934. 

Miles, a terrific choice--It's the kind of song that should have been in a 42nd street musical sung by Ginger Rogers.

That's correct, Princess.  It's a sort of anthem for all of the young actors and actresses with dreams of Hollywood.  Here is Doris Day in a movie called "Starlift" from the early fifties.

Nice going, Princess.  Now it's up to you to post the next one.

• Thanks 1

It seems to me that we've had this one previously.  The song is "All About Love" from the movie "Bundle Of Joy".  It was written by Josef Myrow and Mack Gordon and it was sung by Eddie Fisher.  Here it is:

The film is a remake of "Bachelor Mother" that starred Ginger Rogers some years before.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

It seems to me that we've had this one previously.  The song is "All About Love" from the movie "Bundle Of Joy".  It was written by Josef Myrow and Mack Gordon and it was sung by Eddie Fisher.  Here it is:

The film is a remake of "Bachelor Mother" that starred Ginger Rogers some years before.

Yes Miles, so I thought it would be an easy one for you. 

Eddie Fisher may have had some drawbacks in his personality, but he was one beautiful singer. 

Now Miles, it's all about you.....

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings