• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies on DVD from The Criterion Collection

dsclassic

Expensive but worth it ?

Any of these not worth what you spent ?

Any of them worth the money you spent ?

Any great experiences buying a Criterion DVD ?

I traded for Charade & only spent 5.00 for it

I received a gift card today and got The Killers for 7.50 :) !!!

I love getting used ones on eBay , they sell for way less than in stores...

Unless its out of print...

Remember the movie Salo - if it has the white ring it is worth (used to be anyway) over 300.00

There is a store here in SF that has one for 250.00

The OOPs from Criterion are $$$$

I have a growing Criterion Collection having watched several movies lately that are in their library like Charde, Killers, 39 Steps, etc....

Whats your thoughts on the Criterion Collection DVDs ?

I myself hate Criterion Collection movies mostly because I cannot afford them and many of my most sought after films are only available from them. I personally do not think they are worth it. Yes special features are great but having to pay inflated prices for extra-unnecessary special features is very annoying.

Some of the films I need but cannot afford are:

Pickup on South Street

Shock Corridor

Both of these films are by director Sam Fuller. Now I know that The Naked Kiss is also on Criterion but it is also available from other cheaper public domain releasing companies. The Naked Kiss is not that great of a film and why Criterion deemed it necessary to release it is beyond me. I think the folks there just like to hoard the Sam Fuller Collection.

The only good thing about Criterion is their Eclipse series which sadly are not widely available or advertised like the Criterion's but are cheaper and are something I can afford. Recently I bought the First Films of Sam Fuller which came as an Eclipse series. If the company can release these movies to be more affordable, then I see no reason why they cannot make their other films more affordable.

I know on eBay you might be able to get the ones you want for less...

I thought the Monsters and Madman set wasnt worth 80.00...for crappy 1 hour movies...I decided to keep the lone film I like that IMAGE release

First Man Into Space...

I thought Equinox was worth it, 2 versions of the movie, tons of bonus features...royal treatment...

These are the Criterions I have so far: Charade, Summertime, Rebecca, All That Heaven Allows, Et Dieu crea Femme, My Man Godfrey, Trouble in Paradise, and Young Mr Lincoln. All except Summertime and the Bardot movie are real gems in terms of extras. I was disappointed that Summertime was bare bones. This was Lean's personal favorite and my favorite right after Zhivago by the director.

Ones I am considering for the future include *Heaven Can Wait* and The Lady Vanishes, along with the upcoming Criterion "Eclipse" set of Ernst Lubitsch musicals.

I only buy them on sale, the retail list price is too high.

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

You know it sounds funny but I would like to see Marilyn Monroe's "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" get a really good DVD Treatment, & re-add a cut scene!

The Cut Scene is:

At least one other number was shot, then cut. In the original theatrical trailer, Jane and Marilyn were shown among dancers, climbing the steps of a slide in a children's playground. The song was a French version of "Two Little Girls from Little Rock". Marilyn and Jane wear the costumes when Tommy Noonan corners them backstage in the French nightclub.

Lets see I have

Equinox

Charade

The Most Dangerous Game

Notorious

The 39 Steps

Spellbound

Carnival of Souls

Fiend without a Face

The Killers

M

Testament of Dr Mabuse

Night and the City

Onibaba

Robocop

Silence of the Lambs

The Blob

Im sure there are a few more,

Isnt there a song from Madonna "Li-VING in a Criterion World" back in the 1980s ??

;)

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Message was edited by: dsclassic

What's up, DSClassic?

Expensive but worth it?

YES, but definitely expensive. I do what Missy G does: wait for sales. I only buy used if it's an OOP title that's tough to track down. I've always liked "new things." Foolish? Absotutely.

Any of these not worth what you spent?

NO, but I'm so damn easy.

Any of them worth the money you spent?

MOST. Hitch box set, for sure.

Any great experiences buying a Criterion DVD?

I spent about $110 for Wrong Men and Notorious Women. I wasn't sure if I wanted to take that plunge at the time but I knew it was going to OOP land... fast. So I said, "what the heck." I'm glad I did.

Your list is an excellent one. It's funny, but I don't always get certain DVDs when I know my brother has them. I'm gonna have to eventually get a couple of his DVDs for myself very soon.

My Criterions:

The 39 Steps

The Lady Vanishes (the first version; it's a dirty image, so I definitely suggest getting the new one)

Spellbound

Notorious

M (the first release)

Quai des Orfevres (Jenny Lamour)

The Wages of Fear

Diabolique

Pickup on South Street

The Third Man (first release)

Night and the City

Thieves' Highway

Rififi

Heaven Can Wait

I may be getting Le Corbeau, My Man Godfrey, and The Killers next.

Others on my wish list are:

Charade

Le Notti Bianche

Brute Force

Ace in the Hole

The Naked City

Shock Corridor

The Naked Kiss

The First Films of Samuel Fuller (we're in KimPunkrock country here)

The Fallen Idol

Green for Danger

Fiend Without a Face

My brother has:

Beauty and the Beast

The Seventh Seal

M (new version)

Time Bandits

The Most Dangerous Game

Carnival of Souls

The Last Temptation of Christ

Sisters

The Vanishing

That Obscure Object of Desire (I need to get this for myself; Bunuel!)

The Devil and Daniel Webster (I need it)

Tokyo Story

Late Spring

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (MUST GET FOR ME)

Eyes Without a Face

Unfaithfully Yours (must get for me)

The Virgin Spring

The Spirit of the Beehive

Pandora's Box

The Double Life of Veronique

House of Games

Hi, Miss Irene Bullock -- I'm very, very, very disappointed in you. Where is it? Where's your favorite comedy of all time?

Personally, I think Criterion provides great transfers and prints. They also usually have decent extras and there's usually at least two essays on the film. Some people might think the price is expensive, but Criterion does clean up these films, many of which would be almost unwatchable and buried in tape hiss. By contrast, some of Kino's films which are similarly priced (SUDDEN FEAR (1952) for example) look horrible with no extras at all.

Many newer films that are released cost around the same amount of money as Criterion's releases. The bottom line is--do you want a good looking film or not?

The sad thing about all of this is the fact that ALL DVD's are too expensive. You are actually paying more for the packaging than the actual product. DVD's are actually cheaper to make than videocassettes, but have remained the same or higher in price. I found an amusing article years ago saying that Sony was selling a DVD of a popular film for around $2.00 (American) in Hong Kong and China because of the rampant black market. Sony representatives said the official release costs a fraction more, but they lowered the price hoping that consumers would prefer to have a better transfer and extras to a shabby bootleg. THEY THEN SAID THEY WERE STILL MAKING A PROFIT! What does that tell you about the prices we are paying?

Hi, Kim the Bogie Fan -- Is the Spellbound DVD out of print? I cannot seem to find it anywhere. So many of my most wanted films have been put out by criterion. The ones that are OOP need to be re-released.

Yes, Spellbound is OOP, as is Rebecca and Notorious. I'm sure they will eventually reemerge from their DVD deaths, it's just when. They would make big money in a rerelease. They are constantly asked for at "Suggest a Movie."

The Paradine Case is the other Hitch film stuck in OOP land. It's the only Hitch film (Region 1) that I don't have on DVD. I'm hoping it also gets rereleased. The market for the film is small, but the diehard Hitch fans would flock to it.

TCM Sked (get recorders ready):

1/17 Notorious 12:15 AM (EST)

2/5 Rebecca 2:45 AM (EST)

2/10 Spellbound 11:30 AM (EST)

2/23 Notorious 9:30 AM (EST)

3/4 Spellbound 8:00 PM (EST)

By the way, congrats on your TCM appearance, Punk Rock Star. I see that you are into Sam Fuller right now. Very nice. ChiO is who you need to seek out. He's a huge Fuller fan. Have you seen Forty Guns yet? If you haven't, I suggest doing so.

spellbound1.jpg

What's up, Arkadin -- Personally, I think Criterion provides great transfers and prints. They also usually have decent extras and there's usually at least two essays on the film. Some people might think the price is expensive, but Criterion does clean up these films, many of which would be almost unwatchable and buried in tape hiss. By contrast, some of Kino's films which are similarly priced (SUDDEN FEAR (1952) for example) look horrible with no extras at all.

That's the deal, guy. Criterion usually treats its DVD releases with great care, especially in the area of image. We are paying for quality. For some, this matters a lot. For most, not as much. I always prefer quality if given a choice, so the extra spike in price is worth it to me. I just can't afford to go hog wild. I wish that I could, though.

You are also very correct about Kino. The Sudden Fear DVD is hazy as all get out, which really hurts this Gloria Grahame fan. House by the River is also on the dirty side. Even Scarlet Street, although looking the best I have ever seen it, isn't as clean as it can be.

I still support Kino because they do attempt to dig up some interesting films, especially German silents. Criterion really gets love from me because it's clearly an auteur brand/label. I truly appreciate this.

The sad thing about all of this is the fact that ALL DVD's are too expensive.

This is true. I'm so damn glad I prefer classic film to modern film right now because the corporations really bleed the new movie audience dry. It's criminal. I'm also someone who prefers box sets to solo titles because I'd rather get as many films on DVD that I can versus going one by one by one. Of course, the new formats will render all my little purchases today meaningless soon enough. It always happens.

FYI, if you think DVD prices are high, ask any laser disc owner what they think about it. My brother got into lasers in the early-to-mid-90s and I had to buy some pretty expensive gifts back then. It was U-G-L-Y. I'm pretty sure Film Fatale can speak to this.

Hi FrankGrimes - I feel the same way about foolish and so forth

I edited my list since as I figured there would be more titles that I had that I forgot about

Some of the Criterion movies I traded for (Charade) so I would get them for less, or I got them with a gift card (like the Killers )..

I also dont mind getting a used DVD as I can replace the case with a nice new one and the disc as long as it is in good+ condition I am happy, it needs to play that is all :) I got the 39 Steps for 15.00 used and it was in pristine condition :)

Spellbound in OOP for sure but MGM is releasing it on DVD this year I think

A store I go to here in town occasionally has it in their Collectors Bin

Rebecca is the one that goes for a lot of money that much I know - and there are some double features from Criterion with Rebecca that are also $$$

I also learned that Anchor Bay ALSO released Hitchcock movies, probably some of their earliest releases which are also OOP

The Criterion Collection I Own:

The Blob

Traffic

Brazil

Beauty and The Beast

Naked Lunch

Short Cuts

The Royal Tenenbaums

Carnival of Souls

Diabolique

Armageddon

I love 'Criterion" there a little pricy but worth the money! I know to some it's a bad film, but the "Criterion" "Armageddon" film cut is about 3 hrs, which is interersting sicnce it expands ont he film but adds more character development & less action!!

Steve Nick's bought the film rights to "Beauty and The Beast" & this is 1 reason it's in the "Criterion" film library & has been restored!

sweet thanks for the dates and times that TCM is playing those 2 movies. Today I ordered the video's for spellbound and notorious used off of Amazon. I should of checked the schedule before I did, oh well. I will make sure my Dad burns them to DVD for me. He has a DVD burner and I don't but he tapes me anything I want from TCM. I have TCM send him email reminders so he knows what films to burn for me. He is such a great guy, he even makes special labels for me!

Thanks for all the great info Frank!

Today I finally got the Bogie and Bacall signature collection from Costco for 16.99!!!!

I had To have and have not and Dark Passage on DVD, but some dumb junkie ripped me off and stole like 12 of my DVD's including those 2. I had all the films on video, but that signature collection is crucial for any Bogie fan. I remember when I ordered Dark Passage special back in CT and it cost me more than the whole box set did. I wish Costco would get the Criterion's in for sale! Costco rules for DVD box set prices!

I don't mind spending the money, even through the one's I got, I got for gifts, so I "really" didn't spend the money, but I wouldn't spending the money for future DVDs. I only have three so far which are the following:

The Scarlet Empress(1934)

M(1931)

Pandora's Box(1929)

but this because I'm just now really getting into watching a lot of movies, its been this way for about 2 years now.

Hey-Hey Kim -- No prob on the TCM sked.

Here's Bogie for ya:

12/31 High Sierra 8:00 AM (EST)

12/31 The Big Sleep 10:00 AM (EST)

12/31 Crime School 2:00 PM (EST)

1/2 The Roaring Twenties 1:45 AM (EST)

1/6 The Caine Mutiny 4:00 PM (EST)

1/9 Angels With Dirty Faces 11:30 PM (EST)

1/17 Casablanca 8:00 PM (EST)

1/18 Marked Woman 12:00 AM (EST)

1/22 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre 9:30 PM (EST)

1/23 The Oklahoma Kid 5:00 AM (EST)

1/27 The Barefoot Contessa 3:30 AM (EST)

2/1 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre 11:30 AM (EST)

2/5 Casablanca 1:00 AM (EST)

2/10 The Maltese Falcon 1:30 PM (EST)

2/16 The African Queen 3:45 PM (EST)

2/20 The Caine Mutiny 12:30 AM (EST)

2/21 Action in the North Atlantic 11:15 AM (EST)

2/25 Key Largo 10:00 AM (EST)

3/1 The Barefoot Contessa 3:15 PM (EST)

3/3 Three on a Match 12:00 AM (EST)

3/6 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8:00 PM (EST)

3/7 High Sierra 9:00 AM (EST)

3/16 Key Largo 4:15 PM (EST)

3/19 Across the Pacific 8:45 AM (EST)

3/19 The Caine Mutiny 8:00 PM (EST)

3/25 The Desperate Hours 8:00 AM (EST)

3/25 The Amazing Doctor Clitterhouse 9:30 PM (EST)

I will make sure my Dad burns them to DVD for me. He has a DVD burner and I don't but he tapes me anything I want from TCM. I have TCM send him email reminders so he knows what films to burn for me. He is such a great guy, he even makes special labels for me!

Your Dad sounds great, Posy. It's great that you have someone looking out for ya.

Today I finally got the Bogie and Bacall signature collection from Costco for 16.99!!!!

That's a steal! I bought the Bogie and Bacall box earlier this year and I just got this box set on Christmas:

Humphrey Bogart: The Signature Collection (Volume 1)

casablanca2.jpg

I don't have the second volume yet because I'm not sure I'm gonna like Bogie's "war" films since I'm not into war flicks that much. I will eventually get it because of The Maltese Falcon.

What's up, Pre-Code Nicki

M(1931)

Pandora's Box(1929)

but this because I'm just now really getting into watching a lot of movies, its been this way for about 2 years now.

Excellent taste! Of course, I already knew you had a great taste because you like this film...

babyface1-1.jpg

Sweet, you rule Frank!!

There are a few like Crime School, Three on a Match and Marked Woman that I have never seen. Three on a Match is being released as part of the Forbidden Hollywood Collection Vol 2 in March.

I am stoked about getting The Amazing Doctor Clitterhouse burned to DVD. This film is not available on DVD yet.

The vol. 2 of the Bogie Signature collection is actually really good. The only war film is Action in the North Atlantic and it is really, really good. Other than that you must have All Through the Night, which is one of his best, Across the Pacific (Sidney, Mary and Bogie reunited), Passage to Marseilles (another amazing picture) and the Maltese Falcon 2 disc special edition. Even though Across the Pacific and Passage to Marseilles take place during WW2, they are not "War" pictures.

Great picture of Baby Face by the way. I am a huge Stanwyck fan. I am very much looking forward to Night Nurse being released with the Forbidden Hollywood vol 2 set. I love how u put the pictures.

My Criterion collection is pretty small because I'm cheap (I only purchased 3 that were new and that was only because I had gift cards). But each one is a gem because of the transfers and extras.

*Beauty and the Beast* (Cocteau)

*Through a Glass Darkly* (Bergman)

*The Naked City* (Dassin)

*Umberto D.* (De Sica)

*The Passion of Joan of Arc* (Dreyer)

*Ordet* (Dreyer)

*Gertrud* (Dreyer)

*Pickup on South Street* (Fuller)

*M* (Lang)

*Le Samourai* (Melville)

*Ugetsu* (Mizoguchi)

*A Story of Floating Weeds* (Ozu)

*Floating Weeds* (Ozu)

*The Golden Coach* (Renoir)

*Le Notte Bianche* (Visconti)

*F for Fake* (Welles)

kimpunkrock -- As a Fuller fan-fanatic-freak, seek out *Pickup on South Street*, used or otherwise. I think that of the Criterions I have, it is the best value -- great film and wonderful extras, and it normally sells at the lower end of the Criterion price range. I'm running hot-and-cold on getting The First Films of Samuel Fuller. I love *The Steel Helmet*, but *I Shot Jesse James* and *Baron of Arizona* are not among my favorites. I did buy *Merrill's Marauders* recently -- I hadn't seen it since it's original release. It says something about Fuller that he could make a war movie this great and, for my money, he made three that are even better. Hoping to have a friend burn Underworld U.S.A. for me next month (I bought the pressbook at auction this month for $3.00) -- love watching Robert Emhardt. *Park Row* is the one I wish would be released -- never have seen it. And, as FrankGrimes suggested, *Forty Guns* is not to be missed (and it usually is pretty inexpensive at the standard online stores).

Message was edited by: ChiO

The Sam Fuller Films I have so far are:

Forty Guns---yes it rules!!!

The Big Red One (both versions)

The First Films of Sam Fuller (The Steel Helmet, The Baron of Arizona and I shot jesse james)

Fixed Bayonets

The Steel Helmet (VHS-prior to the DVD being released this was worth a lot of money)

The Naked Kiss (Cheaper version)

House of Bambo (excellent Film Noir)

------

The Films I am looking for and must have are:

Underworld USA

Pickup on South Street

Merril's Marauders

Shock Corridor

Hell and High Water

The only reason I do not have Pickup on South Street or Shock Corridor is because they are too expensive for me right now. Where did your friend get Underworld USA? What version of Merril's Marauders did you buy?

The best ever documentary about Sam Fuller is called--"The Typewriter, The Rifle and the Movie camera" This is a must see for any Fuller fans. I taped it off of IFC about 10 years on VHS but it got ruined in the mail somehow. TCM should look into getting the rights to play it. Quentin Tarantino, Tim Robbins and Jim Jarmush host the documentary into the fascinating life of Sam Fuller. It is highly recommended.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings