• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsclassic

Movies on DVD from The Criterion Collection

Niki,

Criterion has a couple of precodes that you will want to rent or pruchase:

TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932) Ernst Lubitsch film. Lot's of great dialogue and some very sexy scenes too.

LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932) Rouben Mamoulian film. Again lots of snappy dialogue and Jeannette MacDonald looks very hot in this one. Myna Loy is in this one too.

Kim -- My mistake about Underworld U.S.A.. I thought that TCM was showing it in January, but it's on March 12 and I'm hoping my friend will make a copy. Ask your Dad to. I rented a VHS copy about a year ago at a Chicago rental shop called Odd Obsession, which has many titles that not even Facets Multimedia carries, and it is great.

I have:

*Forty Guns*

*The Big Red One* (I had both versions, but gave the shorter one to my son-in-law for Christmas)

*Pickup on South Street*

*The Naked Kiss* (cheap version)

*Merrill's Marauders* (just got it a couple of months ago at Deep Discount, I think)

*White Dog* (got it from "5 Minutes to Live", which appears to be a copy from a European TV broadcast; I think someone - Criterion? - is releasing it in '08)

*Shark!* (VHS)

Still need to see:

*Verboten!*

*Run of the Arrow*

*China Gate*

*Park Row*

Have you read A Third Face: My Tale of Writing, Fighting and Filmmaking? A wonderful read. I should receive Sam Fuller: Film Is a Battleground: A Critical Study with Interviews by Lee Server this week.

I think that if you don't like the films of Sam Fuller, then you just don't like cinema. -- Martin Scorsese

I have fond memories of this label because it was my initial education in film. I have over 100 titles (not counting lasers) from the Criterion Collection and they are, I my opinion, the very best of the distributors and are worth their premium - I'm not going to list them as it would make a very long post. Many practices such as letterboxing, commentor tracks, Director Approved and Special Editions that are common today were pioneered by Criterion. It is a gold standard by which all other distributor are measured - you cannot give higher praise to a non-Criterion film than to say "It is as good as Criterion." Masters of Cinema is a highly regarded UK distributor that considered the British equivalent of Criterion.

That said, some of the early offerings are rather bare-boned. For example, my copy of The Lady Vanishes has the film and a commentary - that's it. Many of these early releases have been withdrawn and reissued with better prints and more goodies. Seven Samurai is on it's third reissue, when I break down and buy it (again) it will make my 5th copy of the film going back to video tape.

For the financially distressed, you can alway get a 35% discount at DVD Planet and they will ship media mail for free. Barnes & Noble frequently runs a "buy two and get a third of equal or lesser value free" sale. As someone pointed out, if you think the DVDs are expensive then you should be glad you were not shelling out $80 to $125+ for the special edition CAV laserdiscs. Many of these laserdiscs are the only current source available or are preferable to the DVDs. For example Oph?ls's La Ronde and The Earring of Madame de... are only available on laser and I'll take my Repulsion laserdisc over the wretched dvd print that is currently offered.

--

Terry Wallace

I forgot to include *Trouble in Paradise* on my list of Criterions I own. I still have to get *Love Me Tonight* because it's a favorite.

kim -- The DVD of *Merrill's Marauders* is available at Deep Discount for $11.98. That's where I got my copy. Not available at Amazon or DVDPlanet.

In no particular order:

Red Shoes

My Man Godfrey

Black Narcissus

Pandora's Box

Trouble in Paradise

The 3 Penny Opera - G.W. Pabst

Lady Eve

Robinson Crusoe on Mars - camp

Jimi plays Monterey/ Shake! Otis at Monterey

Monterey Pop

M - another good one although I don't own it

The Scarlet Empress - haven't watched this one yet

Message was edited by: Snorky

Yeah, it wasn't that great. I had never seen it before when I purchased it.

I'm not quite sure how I'd compare it to the Billy Idol song though. LOL

I'd already mentioned when I listed EWAF that I

didn't recommend it so I went ahead and removed it from my list.

The Scarlet Empress is a no-frills offering with a rather grainy, contrasty print; the sound is excellent. The movie is one of those marvelous von Sternberg excesses and Dietrich never looked better.

--

Terry wallace

I've noticed that grainy type of print with My Man Godfrey and some others.

Thanks for the info!

Jeff

Park Row is coming on TCM on Jan. 22. I have a tape of Verboten! somewhere, I think from an old TCM broadcast. Run of the Arrow has been on TCM before. China Gate is one of the hardest Fuller films to find, now available only on a full-screen Republic VHS that's $25 and up on Amazon. Somewhere I've got a dupe of Fuller's episode of The Virginian, "It Tolls for Thee," which was later combined with another episode into the feature "The Meanest Men in the West."

Deep Discount currently has an exclusive on the Merrill's Marauders DVD. I don't have many Criterions, but Deep Discount supplied a few a couple of years ago, after they ran a sale on them and had many titles in the $30-and-up range for about $20-$22.

Hi, Miss Irene Bullock -- I'm very, very, very disappointed in you. Where is it? Where's your favorite comedy of all time?

Good grief, I have to totally edit my post, I left off both *Trouble in Paradise* and *My Man Godfrey* !! I wonder what a psychoanalyst would make of that. ;)

The only one I have from them is Straw Dogs and that is a good transfer, I also hope to pick up The Third Man and Hopscotch as well as the original French version of Solaris. I guess it all depends on whether you want the film bad enough, but the transfers for the movies of the criterion collection along with extras tend to be pretty outstanding.

Straw Dogs is no longer offered by Criterion. However, the folks over at the Criterion forum say that MGM purchased Criterion's transfer and are offering the exact same print without the supplements. If you can live without these extras you can get Criterion's print for about 25% of the Criterion's cost. A lot of new, sealed DVDs are still floating around the auction sites and resellers if you still want the Criterion version.

BTW, the original Solaris is Russian. Tarkovsky HATED 2001 and this film was his answer. It's going to be broadcast on IFC on Jan 7th.

--

Terry Wallace

Message was edited by: Terry_W

Just received a Christmas gift from myself today -- John Cassavetes: Five Films. I have never seen *Opening Night* and I haven't seen *A Woman Under the Influence* since it's original release (I just remember being in pain for about a week). Given what appears to be a ton of extras, I should be in Heaven for quite awhile, even if my Greek Goddess spouse won't watch her countryman with me.

Heya, Posy Punk -- You gotta get Pickup on South Street, Kim. It's a fantastic DVD.

pickup8-1.jpg

pickup9-1.jpg

pickup10-1.jpg

pickup5.jpg

pickup6.jpg

pickup7.jpg

Hi, Miss G(one Fishin') -- Good grief, I have to totally edit my post, I left off both Trouble in Paradise and My Man Godfrey !! I wonder what a psychoanalyst would make of that.

Psychoanalyst: Cut down on the champagne, stop laughing so much, and avoid this Frank Grimes guy at all times.

Goddess: No. No. Yes.

Grimey: "No. No. Yes."? Sounds ALL GIRL to me.

spellbound2.jpg

spellbound3.jpg