Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Muster

Recommend Underrated Romance Movies

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:30 PM, Terrence1 said:

Dougie, thanks for the reminder of "Interlude."  I remember it well as being highly entertaining, with gorgeous scenery and an intriguing plot.  I also remember the beautiful title song sung by the McGuire Sisters.  Maybe someday TCM will get around to showing this.  I certainly hope so.

I just found a beautiful widescreen print of Interlude on YouTube, posted sometime this past year. It must be from the Region 2 (European) release because it hasn't been released here yet. Well worth checking out.

'Written on the Wind' is my favorite Douglas Sirk film. But I love the bitter ironic touch at the end of 'Magnificent Obsession' where the female lead bows to convention and is 'sat down in front of a television' as reward for her cowardly choice. The only reason 'Magnificent Obsession' is not my favorite is probably that its very bright and gaudily colored and also Jane Wyman is the heroine. :(

Rec for another small film: 'Once in Paris' starring Wayne Rogers as a stodgy US businessman sent there on business, a woman from the firm he is dealing with is Bissett and he learns something new about life and the world.

• Like 1

I first saw Tea and Sympathy with Deborah Kerr last summer and it immediately became one of my five or so favorite movies. A wonderful performance from Kerr (maybe the best of her distinguished career) and very well shot with good use of color from Vincent Minnelli. I found it tremendously moving and shattering. It's one of those movies where I'm surprised it could have made it past the Hays Code at the time given the treatment of adultery. 

It's coming on TCM late next month when they're having a Deborah Kerr mini-marathon one afternoon. It seems to be terribly underseen so hopefully some people check it out. Due to the controversy surrounding it I don't think it got much of a US release when it came out. 

15 hours ago, TheGrandMaster said:

It's one of those movies where I'm surprised it could have made it past the Hays Code at the time given the treatment of adultery.

How about the treatment of the gay theme?  Anyhow,  while due to the Hays Code certain plot points had to be altered,  the film is still very moving and frank.

But I don't know if I would classify such a film as a romance movie;  I see it more of a coming-of-age type film.

11 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

How about the treatment of the gay theme?  Anyhow,  while due to the Hays Code certain plot points had to be altered,  the film is still very moving and frank.

But I don't know if I would classify such a film as a romance movie;  I see it more of a coming-of-age type film.

Yeah, I didn't mention that because they sort of had to gloss over it for the movie although there is still some sexual ambiguity. And Deborah Kerr's husband is definitely a closet case.

I don't get too picky about genre distinctions. The the central relationship in the movie culminates in a romantic way so for me it is a romance movie. 

How about Strawberry Blonde starring James Cagney, Olivia de Havilland, and Rita Hayworth? It's about a man who is fixated on one woman (guess who) and when she brushes him off he marries Olivia de Havilland on the rebound. Years later he realizes he married the right woman all along. What woman can resist that James Cagney charm?

tumblr_mf2pddJ8AA1qcgwn4o3_250.gifv

19 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

How about Strawberry Blonde starring James Cagney, Olivia de Havilland, and Rita Hayworth? It's about a man who is fixated on one woman (guess who) and when she brushes him off he marries Olivia de Havilland on the rebound. Years later he realizes he married the right woman all along. What woman can resist that James Cagney charm?

tumblr_mf2pddJ8AA1qcgwn4o3_250.gifv

Saw The Strawberry Blonde for the first time 30 years ago and it  changed my life.      One way is that it got me into non gangsters \ crime Warner Bro films.    I started out with WB Bogart and Cagney films from that genre.      I saw that Cagney was in this film so I decided to check it out;    I fell hard for Olivia De Havilland.      I went to Edmunds Bookstore in Hollywood (THE best movie book etc.. store in the world!),  and got The Films of Olivia De Havilland as well as other items like actual WB promo Olivia photo stills  from the film in the outfit shown here.   (the photos have a legal clause - "used by permission only to promote the film").     

So this was a key film that moved me to seek out other genres,   Olivia films,  and just other areas of classic-Hollywood.      

The other change was,  like the Cagney character,  I was always chasing the Rita type gal.    Hey,  most of the time I wasn't successful but like a lot of foolish young men,  that was my ideal of what a girlfriend should be.     Well this film showed me that actual best-gal type to have was like the one Olivia played;  independent, smart,  still cute and pretty,  but kind and gentle.       It really changed how I approached relationships and I did find my "Olivia" and have been happily  married to this fine women for over 23 years.

So yea,   The Strawberry Blonde is a fine romantic period-comedy and one where the  WB studio system was at it peek in terms of making qualify films.

image.jpeg.cb81a448e3d3e938d941173ab49ae4c0.jpeg

• Like 2