Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Tonsorial Anachronism, Perhaps?

Curious about whether Gable's moustache was right for the period of Rhett Butler, I surfed around, and found that Prince Albert wore a bush that was indeed a predecessor of CG's.

Satisfied on that point, I'm now curious about Power's and Rathbone's pinstripes in MARK OF ZORRO, which is set at a time when virtually the only moustache fashion was the walrus bush of Generalfeldmarschall Blucher.

1 hour ago, Palmerin said:

Curious about whether Gable's moustache was right for the period of Rhett Butler, I surfed around, and found that Prince Albert wore a bush that was indeed a predecessor of CG's.

Satisfied on that point, I'm now curious about Power's and Rathbone's pinstripes in MARK OF ZORRO, which is set at a time when virtually the only moustache fashion was the walrus bush of Generalfeldmarschall Blucher.

And speaking of Prince Albert and anachronisms here...

When's the last time ya heard anyone tell that old joke about asking a drug store clerk if they had that guy in a can, I wonder?

(...bet it's been years, huh)

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

When's the last time ya heard anyone tell that old joke about asking a drug store clerk if they had that guy in a can, I wonder?

I think that I'd stay in the can, rather than implement a certain type of body modification that also goes under that moniker... :ph34r:

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Dargo said:

And now they know how many Prince Albert cans it takes to fill the Albert Hall. 

9 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Clark Gable's Face looked naked in Mutiny on the Bounty. But those pork chop sideburns he had in Parnell made him look ridiculous!

But they were relatively authentic...

d3cc2f79ee0ace5f11e51c7b8b656a16--myrna-  MichaelDavitt.jpg

at least, until the beard began to take over..

e6c8d9b237ba391112a732be6f6105907b594d74  100201_parnell_ap_218.jpg

• Thanks 1

Here's what I've always thought might be a good example which might fit Palmerin's thread premise.

Now, many of you might know who the following rather famous 19th century photo is of here...

wyatt-earp-1848-1929-legendary-western-e

Right! Wyatt Earp.

YET, here's a still from the 1957 film Gunfight at the O.K. Corral about this legend of the Old West which of course starred Burt Lancaster as Earp...

gunfight-at-the-corral-doing-the-walk1.g

Notice anything rather prominently missing here?

And yes, if you're now thinking of Kurt Russell's version of Earp some 36 years later...

601px-Tomb-stevens1.jpg

Yes, I'd say he got it quite a bit more period correct than did Burt, wouldn't ya say?!

(...to this day I'll never understand why Burt didn't grow a 'stache for that role)

• Like 2

I've pointed it out before, but d'ya notice how incredibly  close  the resemblance to the REAL Earp Russell has?

And many to most of Gable's early films has him sans 'stache.  Known then to be a "clean freak" he'd have to grow one for a particular role and would shave it off quickly when the film was wrapped. And sometimes the cookie-dusters were fake.  But he eventually took to having one and it shortly became his "signature". There are many old photos to be found of Clark without one.

Sepiatone

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

Here's what I've always thought might be a good example which might fit Palmerin's thread premise.

Now, many of you might know who the following rather famous 19th century photo is of here...

wyatt-earp-1848-1929-legendary-western-e

Right! Wyatt Earp.

YET, here's a still from the 1957 film Gunfight at the O.K. Corral about this legend of the Old West which of course starred Burt Lancaster as Earp...

gunfight-at-the-corral-doing-the-walk1.g

Notice anything rather prominently missing here?

And yes, if you're now thinking of Kurt Russell's version of Earp some 36 years later...

601px-Tomb-stevens1.jpg

Yes, I'd say he got it quite a bit more period correct than did Burt, wouldn't ya say?!

(...to this day I'll never understand why Burt didn't grow a 'stache for that role)

I've seen pictures of Wyatt Earp in a museum in Kansas - - Kurt Russell certainly fits the bill.

17 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I've seen pictures of Wyatt Earp in a museum in Kansas - - Kurt Russell certainly fits the bill.

Yep, and being a marshal in both Wichita and Dodge City for a time in both towns, this would make sense.

Earp, not Russell of course. ;)

(...btw and FWIW, one of my fellow airline co-workers at LAX once told me her father was once Marshal of Dodge City in the 1960s...forgot to ask her if he sported one o' them thare mustaches, though)

I've always been impressed by the abilities of these typical prehistoric women to keep their locks looking luscious despite the daily drudge of being attacked by rampaging beasts, randy cavemen & sly sisters stealing their mates ...

raquel_welch_cave_girls_one_million_year

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, limey said:

I've always been impressed by the abilities of these typical prehistoric women to keep their locks looking luscious despite the daily drudge of being attacked by rampaging beasts, randy cavemen & sly sisters stealing their mates ...

raquel_welch_cave_girls_one_million_year

Since I don't think that they went to the beauty salon every 6 weeks for those touch-ups, so I'm just guessing they discovered a whole lot of henna somewhere.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

Since I don't think that they went to the beauty salon every 6 weeks for those touch-ups, so I'm just guessing they discovered a whole lot of henna somewhere.

To say nothing of how they always kept their legs so nice and smooth.

(...and hairless)

• Like 1

Personally, I prefer both Gable and William Powell without their mustaches. But the thin mustache is iconic of the roaring 20's & sophisticated 30's and kind of sets a visual "tone". It never distracted me from the Rhett Butler charactor, though, since he's kind of a slick operator.

I'm still waiting for the "under the nose" abbreviated mustache to come back in style, once called a "toothbrush" mustache. Only Chaplin could pull it off while Hitler wore it. Ron Mael of Sparks was the only one with big enough cahunas to try sporting it.
tumblr_n3oe69psa31qagxv6o1_400.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I'll leave it to the ladies.

Of all the mustaches mentioned and shown, which is the one you'd prefer to RIDE!  :o  ;)

Sepiatone

I don't understand your statement. Maybe you can clarify it. My father always had a mustache and I don't remember anybody riding on it.?

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't understand your statement. Maybe you can clarify it. My father always had a mustache and I don't remember anybody riding on it.?

Oh c'mon now, Princess. Don't play coy here.

Surely over the years you've done more in your life there in Kansas than just dance around in those tap shoes of yours, now haven't you?! ;)

(...and of course, watch a lot of classic movies)

• Haha 1
On 12/15/2017 at 8:25 AM, Sepiatone said:

I've pointed it out before, but d'ya notice how incredibly  close  the resemblance to the REAL Earp Russell has?

And many to most of Gable's early films has him sans 'stache.  Known then to be a "clean freak" he'd have to grow one for a particular role and would shave it off quickly when the film was wrapped. And sometimes the cookie-dusters were fake.  But he eventually took to having one and it shortly became his "signature". There are many old photos to be found of Clark without one.

Sepiatone

Quite true but as you said these were Gable's earliest films where he's clean shaven.