Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
musicfan

What females, and males are most often on your favorites list?

Let's aay that you have a list of 60 musicals that you like. What female stare appears most often on this list? What male star appears most often on this list? Is there a star on your list who only appeared in one or two good (or great) movies?

Most often List: Jeanette Macdonald, Bing Crosby, Deanna Durbin, Sonja Henie.

One or two good musicals list: Tyrone Power, Frances Farmer, Shirley Ross, John Payne

most often: judy garland, julie andrews, fred astaire, gene kelly.

one or two: kay thomson even though she wasnt in that many films.

I never let a Jane Powell movie go by, Or Cyd Charise , Or Vera-Ellen. I like Ann Blyth in Kismet.~

As for the gents anything with Dick Hames or Tony Martin, I also love Betty Grable and June Haver....

There are so many. June Allyson, Cyd Charisse, Judy Garland, Eleanor Powell, Kathryn Grayson, Debbie Reynolds, Ginger Rogers. With the guys, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Howard Keel, Peter Lawford, Donald O'Connor.

Females: Betty Grable, June Haver, Gloria DeHaven, Doris Day, Alice Faye, Judy Garland

Males: John Payne, Don Ameche, Mickey Rooney, Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby

Irene Dunne, Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire, Clark Gable, James Cagney, Greta Garbo, Sophia Loren, Cary Grant, Bette Davis, Jean Harlow, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Blondell.

But here's the REAL question: Which actors/actresses can you NOT stand?

Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire appear in most of them. But Cyd Charisse and Jane Powell are frequent repeats. So is Oscar Levant oddly enough.

Hmmm....I guess Kelly and Astaire are the most frequent. That would have to be followed by Ann Miller.

I'd have to say, Gene Kelly and June Allyson. They always seemed to bright up the screen with their charm and cheerful smiles. :D

I love Irene Dunne, Jeannette MacDonald, Jane Powell, Shirley Jones, Lesley Caron, Howard Keel, Gordon MacRae and Nelson Eddy. They all were superstars and superbly talented. They lit up the screen with their gorgeous/handsome looks and radiant personalities.

I agree with you, Sheldon. Vera-Ellen was the greatest dancer on screen. Her career last much too short. She just got better with each movie. It would be difficult to pick a favorite movie, but as far as musical numbers, you can't beat her duet with Gene Kelly doing "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" from "Words and Music." Nothing short of perfect.

Terrence.

I missed out on the whole generation of most of the great musicals came out in so I am stuck trying to figure out what are the good ones to watch. I normally will see one and then take that person and watch another one of theres and then that will lead me to a new person and so on. Like I would watch Seven Brides with Seven Brothers which led me to watch Royal Wedding and Calamiity Jane. So I always see the same performers in almost all of my movies. But the most popular Males are prolly between Howard Keel, Fred Astair and Gene Kelly. Sometimes even Elvis Presley. Some of the Females are Kathryn Grayson, Doris Day, Cyd Charisse and Debbie Reynolds.

I really think the era of "great" musicals began with Robert Wise's *West Side Story*. Prior to that, there were really good ones, and mostly dumb ones, but none that I thought were great! Of course, that's entirely a matter of opinion. It's just mine.

From one Vera-Ellen fan to another, thanks Johnm. I'm curious if you have a favorite of her movies? I love them all.

Terrence.

females- Judy Garland, Eleanor Powell, Vera Ellen, and Ann Miller

males- Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, and Donald O'Connor