Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alan Hale, Character Actor Support Par Excellence

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

I watched The Time, The Place and the Girl (1946), one of those trifle Warner Bros. Technicolor musicals in which a likable cast (Dennis Morgan, Jack Carson, Janis Paige, Martha Vickers) is saddled with mediocre material. If you never see the film you won't have missed much.

Alan Hale and S. Z. Sakall, who didn't like working with one another, are both in the supporting cast. Sakall has a far larger role, while Hale, I'm sorry to say, is largely thrown away in a small part (one of the curses of his later years at the studio). Hale complained about Sakall mangling the English language so much that it threw him off his cues. I believe there is one scene in which Sakall is speaking while Hale stands in the background not saying anything. They probably both preferred it that way.

I'm ready to be corrected on this but I think this might have been the only scene shared by these two character actors who couldn't stand one another.

The Time, the Place and the Girl (1946) - IMDb

Speaking of Janis Paige - tomorrow  (September 16th) is her birthday.

There is a thread for this.   Here birth names was Donna Mae Tjaden; 

On the set . . . They Drive By Night (1940)

5fc077f6-fe3c-42ce-8b41-62ffca605475.jpe

Unlike her character in the film, Ida Lupino in real life could share a laugh with Alan Hale. These two are both terrific in this lusty truck driving melodrama. Oh, yeh, "The doors made me do it."

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

Director WILLIAM KEIGHLEY ALAN HALE and ERROL FLYNN on set location candid  in Chico California during filming of THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD 1938  directors MICHAEL CURTIZ and WILLIAM KEIGHLEY music Erich

That's Hale and Flynn with William Keighley, who directed the Sherwood Forest scenes. Flynn liked Keighley and was unhappy when Warners brass decided to replace him with Mike Curtiz to bring the film a more dynamic appeal. Sorry, Errol, Warners was right.

Gentleman Jim (1942)

Gentleman Jim :With Alan Hale, Sr. (R), Dorothy Vaughn, Errol Flynn. |  Errol flynn, Errol, Handsome actors

The Corbett family. By the expressions on their faces you'd never know this would be a fun film. Maybe it's just as well this film was so largely a fictional take on James J. Corbett. In real life, unlike the laughing couple played on screen by Alan Hale and Dorothy Vaughan, his parents' lives ended in a murder suicide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Conrad J. Barrington on Twitter: "Alan Hale with his wife Gretchen, and son  Alan Hale, Jr. - 1922… "

Alan Hale with actress Gretchen Hartman, to whom he was married from 1914 to his death in 1950, along with baby Alan Jr. in 1922.

Here's What Happened to 'Gilligan's Island' Star Alan Hale, Jr.

The Hale family. That's Alan, Gretchen,  Alan Jr. and daughter Karen.

alan hale senior, famous, fathers, celebrity, dads, family, hollywood, fathers day, inventor, director, american actors, film stars, family, children, alan hale jr, karen hale wookey, silent movies, classic films, robin hood, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1