Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We're Rich Again

Fedya

Were my Christmas chocolates laced with acid? I want to know what the **** that was that was on today:

Edna May Oliver gets top billing, as a polo-playing granny always in the company of several of her younger counterparts wearing slightly-tight outfits. (If she could afford to play polo, why couldn't she afford to help her family? Polo's not a cheap hobby.)

But the polo players aren't the eye candy for the women: that would be Buster Crabbe, who spends the entire movie wearing just a tight little bathing suit. (At least he's better fitted to it than Andy Devine in Island in the Sky.) One wonders what the writers had to go through to keep coming up with plot devices that prevented Crabbe from getting dressed. Did he have a clause in his studio contract preventing him from wearing anything more than a pair of swim trunks or a loincloth?

Grant Mitchell again (it seems like I keep seeing him on TCM this month -- looking at IMDb he was in Central Airport this week; Wild Boys of the Road and Heroes for Sale earlier this month; The Star Witness, which I know aired recently -- and he's showing up this weekend in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington), as the father of a family that's gone to financial ruin, and has to engage in what should be a painfully unfunny comedy of lies (think the antics the cast of Three's Company had to engage in in seemingly every episode)

Billie Burke, trying to reprise her role as the manic matriarch in Dinner at Eight (damn, there's Grant Mitchell again!)

Marian Nixon (I don't think I've ever seen her before) as the country cousin who for most of the movie is little more than an excuse for the writers to engage in the sort of stereotyping that would get this movie seriously criticized by the PC standards of today if she had been black or, like the servant, Asian.

Rounding out the cast are veteran character actor Edgar Kennedy as a process server; Reginald Denny as the groom-to-be; Joan Marsh as her fianc?e; and Gloria Shea (who?) as her sister.

Put it all together, and it sounds as though you should end up with a mess that doesn't quite get anywhere. And yet, I found it a riot. What a warped little movie.

I thought it was a somewhat odd, but enjoyable film. My only question is, is it just me or does it seem that Grant Mitchell is in every other early 1930s film? I mean, I've lost track on how many times I've seen him in a film from the early 1930s...lol

Mitchell worked everywhere, it seems: the Wellman talkies I mentioned were done at WB/First National; and We're Rich Again is an RKO picture.

I'm sure he'd take a paycheck from any major studio that would give him one. ;-)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings