Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
spence

Your all-time favorite cinematic comics & duo's

This little poll/survey is broken down into two categories, so please bare with me

Who & what are your personal all-time favourite motion picture comedians-(top 5 to 10?): (NOTE: I love ever sooo many film genre's, but out & out-(no comedy-dramas though please) is my fav. film genre of 'em all

& per usual I'll first submit my own  

1st place &*Charles (Spencer) Chaplin-(l889-l977) & was barely 5'5   He even bested *0son by doing everything  Starring, decting, writing, producing & even his own scores i.e. "Smile") (TRIVIA: *Chaplin was at first nommed for *Academy awards for 1927/28's "The Circus" But founder & mogul of moguls L./B. Mayer detested comics & withdrew his nomination instead & only awarded him, a special statuette instead. & of all things L.B. wanted future Nazi sympathizer *Emil Jannings the 1st Best Actor *Academy Award, though in *Jannings defense during the 1920's he was widely regarded as worlds greatest actor) For more fun fax *Chaplin loved Switzerland & was later interred there instead. His "Dream Factory" still stands on La Brea. (MY FAV. "MODERN TIMES"/"DUCK SOUP"-(which was always Groucho's fav.)

2nd Buster Keaton-(l895-l966) & was 5'4  A tragic figure to say the least!  He was almost as brilliant as *Charlie, some say better. But, sound & MGM did the job on him, plus his ex-wife as well. MGM then oput him in B-films with Durante instead? "Forest Lawn, Cem" in Hollywood Hills  WHAT WAS HER NAME SPORETS FANS   NATALIE TALMADGE? (MY FAV OF HGIS "THE GENERAL"/"STEAMBOAT BILL, JR.")

3rd fav of mine "The Marx Brothers" (1929-49 together)   *Chaplin & Buster don't make me laugh though, just watch in amazement!  These guys do the trick BIG-TIME! Ever since I saw them on tv at 14.  Groucho Marx-(Julius Henry Marx) (l890-l977), Chico Marx-(Leonard) (l886-l96l), Harpo-(Adolph Arthur Marx)-(l888-l964)  Their biggest smash $hit$ by far was 1935's "A Night at the 0pera" (M-G-M) & then '37's "A Day at the Races" (MGM) & Groucho always credited it to *Thalberg-(l899-l936)_& MY FAVS VERY CLOSE BETWEEN "OPERA" & "DUCK SOUP"  All the bros chose different locations to be laid to rest though?

4th W.C. Fields-(William Claude Dunkenfield)-(l879-l946)-(liked about his age) All know for his incredible fondness of BOOZE especially GIN, hence the nose & went from cirrhosis & W.C. loathed Christmas & ironically died on that holiday. His "WOF-STAR is directly in frt of a ladies strip club on H. Blvd by the way-(though it was installed posthumously of course) Ed McMahon's all-time idol since childhood asW.C. Fields! He was laid to rest inside the rude to fans "Great Mausoleum" in Glendale MY ESSENTIAL FIELDS: "IT'S A GIFT" & "NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK")

5th "The Three Stooges" (l934-959) but only under contract to what most dubbed "The Meanest Man in Town" Columbia Mogul *Harry Cohn-(l89l-l958) prior to that they were on stage & a couple MGM flix & W/Clark Gable no less At fiurst it was Ted Healy & his 3 Stooges, but they did not get along (TRIVIA/FAX: Healy was later beaten to death in or outside a bar in '37 & rumor now has it that the sometimes beloved *Wally Beery was among the 2 to 3 bullies-(LOOK IT UP IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE THESEDAYS) Moe Howard-(Moses Harold Horwitz)-(l897-l975), Larry Fine-(Laurence Finberg)-(l902-75), Curly Howard-(Jerome Horwitz)-(l903-52)-(tons of fans visit his humble grave & leave marks of the stooges!), Shemp Howard-(Samuel Horwitz)-(l895-l955)-(my fav.) & then there was the obnoxious & hated Joe Besser-(l907-88)-(the sole stooge present when they finally got a "Walk-of-Fame Star" in '84 & finally the dull Curly Joe DeRita-(l909-93) By then they had become children friendly only though MY FAVS: "MEN IN BLACK" (l934) & with Shemp "A GOOF ON THE ROOF"-(he preferred 1951's "Scrambled Brains"  I KNOW THEY WERE LOW BROW, BUT HILARIOUS & GREW UP ON THEM VIA TV. MOST THINK THE EARLY SHOIRTS WERE FILMED FOR TV, NOPE, THEY WERE PT OF A FEATURE FILM & were up for an *Oscar for '34's "Men In Black"

(ALSO-RANS): "Laurel and Hardy" started in silent era & even got greater if possible! Stan Laurel-(Arthur Stanley Jefferson)-(l890-l965) & Oliver Hardy_(Norvell Hardy)-(l892-l957) & both are also far away in the afterelife?  They even won a rare *AMPAS statue for 1931-32's tremendoiusly hilarious "The Music Box"  Many stars have copied them, including *"The Great 0ne: Jackie Gleason":-(his heroes were Ollie & Jack 0akie) & of course Dick Van Dyke does a mean Stanley. ARGUABLY THEE SINGLE GREATEST COMEDY TEAM IN MOTION PICTURE HISTORY, though for "HONEYMOONERS BUFFS" such as myself Ralph Kramden & Ed Norton come very, very, close!

HOIPEFULLY LEAVE THE REST TO YOU SMART FANS???   I left out the legendary A & C???

10 hours ago, spence said:

This little poll/survey is broken down into two categories, so please bare with me

You go get bare in another room.  I'll leave my clothes ON if you don't mind......  B)

For a singular comic, it depends.   Silent, it would be BUSTER KEATON,  Then after "talkies" came along, I'm caught between W.C. FIELDS and a few others.

Duos:  L&H HANDS DOWN!  Followed by BURNS & ALLEN.

And actually, you boke it down into several categories.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

For my laughter, Buster Keaton and Danny Kaye are at the top of my list. I'm sure these don't count because it's TV, but Carol Burnett is also at the top of my list,and Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca would be my favorite team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

For my laughter, Buster Keaton and Danny Kaye are at the top of my list. I'm sure these don't count because it's TV, but Carol Burnett is also at the top of my list,and Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca would be my favorite team.

Thanks Sagebrush.  Kaye was one of those I was "caught between".  But you settled it for me.  As for Burnett....

Sure.  Still watch those abbreviated  episodes on MeTV even though I've seen several of them several times.  And the addition of TIM CONWAY really took that show to a much higher bar, didn't he?

Sepiatone   BTW: How'd you come up with SAGEBRUSH as your "handle"?  It reminds me that when I was a kid there was a local kid's TV show hosted by a guy who went by the name "Sagebrush Shorty".  He'd be dressed in cowboy regalia and show cartoons and sometimes episodes of old 30's and '40's Western serials.  This would be from the mid '50's to about '60 or so. ;) 

I'm not a big fan of the Ritz Brothers, but I think this scene is priceless. It's the "Here **** ****" scene from The Goldwyn Follies, which ends with an appearance by every cat on the lot:

Myrna Loy and William Powell: I absolutely love the Thin Man series; you can tell how great of friends "Min and Bill" were in real life. Myrna gave as good as she got. Their snappy comebacks and repartee are almost more enjoyable than the actual source material itself. 

WHAT?! No love for Allen & Rossi here?

Guess none of you have ever watched that 1966 cinematic "masterpiece" The Last of the Secret Agents?, eh?!

(...just kidding here of course...BUT check out what happens at the 1:35 mark in this video..didn't remember Nancy having that hot a bod...ooooh weee!) 

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

BTW: How'd you come up with SAGEBRUSH as your "handle"? 

Reno is my hometown! There's nothing as beautiful (to me) as sagebrush on the high desert hills in the spring. Too bad the flowers have to turn into tumbleweeds! :lol:

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

WHAT?! No love for Allen & Rossi here?

Guess none of you have ever watched that 1966 cinematic "masterpiece" The Last of the Secret Agents?, eh?!

(...just kidding here of course...BUT check out what happens at the 1:35 mark in this video..didn't remember Nancy having that hot a bod...ooooh weee!) 

"HELLO DERE!" :D  Yeah, I loved it whenever Allen & Rossi showed up on Ed Sullivan.  Cracked me UP!

And thankfully, my memory isn't that shot as I fully remember Nancy looking that hot. ;)

Sepiatone