Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Every Weekend in Daytime - War and Westerns Abound. YUK!!!

jazzymary

I am sick of the fact that TCM runs westerns and war movies during the day on most weekends. I am no fan of westerns and do not watch war movies. I work during the week, and if I do have a couple of hours for TV on my favorite channel, TCM, during the weekend, inevitably it's mainly westerns and war pics. WHY? Can't there be a more eclectic venue for weekends? This pattern is getting old. TCM has such a wide variety of movies. I don't mind festivals that show one specific genre or showcase artists or are holiday-specific (even if it's war movies on Memorial or Veterans Day), but this constant western/war movie weekend schedule is tiresome and unfair.

Message was edited by: jazzymary

I think it might be a good idea for TCM to experiment with a month of ?eclectic? programming. In other words, a variety of films all during the day and night, for a whole month.

Those of us who like film noir and 1930s mystery films with Warren William, William Powell, etc., could get one or two of those a day or night (most are short, around an hour, and could be shown back to back as double-features). Then a 1940s or ?50s musical. Then other kinds of movies, like a love story (one old, one newer), maybe a war film, or a Western, maybe a foreign film, etc., etc., alternating between genres all day and night, so that all of us would have at least one or two films a day, every day, that we would really want to see.

I like it when TCM shows old ?30s and ?40s movies for a whole day, or 5 Warren William films in a row, but other people don?t like that, and when TCM airs a whole day and night of Elvis and Beach Party movies, or modern films from the ?70s, ?80s, and ?90s, I can?t watch any of them and I have to go to my DVDs during those days.

So what do you think about a special ?experimental? month, where each film is from a different era and genre, every day and night?

I think an experimental month would be great. I don't know how TCM rates the viewing habits of consumers since they don't advertise, but a very eclectic month sans special blocks of the same type movies would be good. I'm not opposed to any of the genres per se, but just the fact that if they use up weekends with war, westerns and action movies, you can't see old movies more appealing that may be new to you. (I love it when I find an especially good old movie I have never seen -- it happens less and less since I've seen so many!) That's my main reason for watching TCM. I know others like movies I don't (Elvis or beach movies are not my favorite either) and everybody should get a fair representation. The only exception to an eclectic month, in my eyes, is if any of the old actors die. Then a special tribute should be run, no matter what type of movies they made. :)

Let's see. Last Saturday morning, they showed "A Tale of Two Cities", "On Dangerous Ground", "Out West With the Peppers", and "Five Little Peppers in Trouble". Pretty eclectic. Lots of Westerns Saturday afternoon, no war flicks. Sunday, they showed "The Bigamist", "Green For Danger", "Holiday", "Million Dollar Mermaid", "Spanish Main", and "Treasure Island". Again, pretty eclectic mix, no westerns or war. I'm sad that they didn't show any war movies, which are actually a rarity. I think those that complain about programming don't actually watch.

With all due respect, patful & lzcutter, this argument is valid.

While the programming isn't 100% war flicks and Westerns in the weekend daytime slots, it is VERY heavily focused that way, and has been for months. I've raised the issue in other threads previously.

Because of the vagaries of my work, much of which is done at home, I have TCM on in the background virtually every day, all day --- so I DO actually watch, pretty much all the time, and I can compare it with weekday programming, and I am complaining.

Not to say there aren't good Westerns or war movies --- if "Destry Rides Again" or "Stagecoach" or "All Quiet on the Western Front" come on, I'll cancel all appointments. But I have to side with jazzymary here --- these aren't my favorite film genres either, and while seeing an occasional film of these types is fine, I've had enough.

Variety, please, TCM!

Chip,

The month of November seemed to be dedicated to movie series/serials and December seemed to be dedicated more towards pre-codes.

During the summer, it might have seemed to be more weighted towards westerns and war films but since then seemed to have much more variety.

Perhaps Kyle can fire up the Wayback machine and give us a better idea?

I have to admit War and Westerns I am not into either, but the station does cater to everyone so I have to take the good with the bad and the ugly :) (thank you Clint Eastwood)

Anyway I just pop in DVDs for the most part so whatever TCM plays wont impact me...

Impact...Brian Donlevy---GREAT FILM !! Go see it :)

"Perhaps Kyle can fire up the Wayback machine and give us a better idea?"

Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman have lent me their machine for a few minutes...

Two years ago (at the beginning of the Programming Challenge) I, too, made the observation that weekend afternoons were often filled with what I called "guy films" for Ben Mankiewicz to introduce and did my Challenge accordingly. I don't find weekends to be that predictable anymore. But looking over the past few months and maybe I should go back to that idea.

During November when the weekdays were full of B-Movies, the daytime hours on the weekends were full of major A-Movies with titles like Rebecca, The Maltese Falcon and Swing Time.

But looking at this past September one finds every Saturday afternoon with a Western Double Feature. Ben Mankiewicz introduced -

Along Came Jones / Cat Ballou

The Caribou Trail / The King And Four Queens

Dodge City / Track Of The Cat

40 Guns To Apache Pass / Once Upon A Time In The West

The War Wagon / Rio Lobo

And Saturday Afternoons in July - while not full of "two-fers" - was similarly focused with titles like -

Comanche, Nevada Smith, Shakalo, Big Jake and Will Penny.

Though these films were balanced on Sundays in July with titles like -

The Best Man, Marty, High Sierra, Bathing Beauty and A Child Is Waiting.

Looking at the first Saturday for 2008 one finds another Saturday Afternoon full of guns.

Man Of The West (1958)

A reformed outlaw is among the hostages when his former colleagues rob a train. Cast: Gary Cooper, Lee J. Cobb, Julie London. Dir: Anthony Mann. C-99 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

Tall Stranger, The (1957)

When rustlers leave him for dead, a Westerner throws in his lot with the wagon train whose inhabitants have rescued him. Cast: Joel McCrea, Virginia Mayo, Michael Ansara. Dir: Thomas Carr. C-83 mins, TV-PG

Hell In The Pacific (1968)

Stranded soldiers from opposite sides fight a private version of World War II on a remote island. Cast: Lee Marvin, Toshiro Mifune. Dir: John Boorman. C-102 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)

During World War II, a marine sergeant must turn his recruits into fighting men. Cast: John Wayne, John Agar, Adele Mara. Dir: Allan Dwan. BW-109 mins, TV-PG, CC

But looking over the entire month's weekends one will also find important titles like Sweet Smell Of Success, The Sterile Cuckoo, The Thomas Crown Affair, Love With The Proper Stranger, Indiscreet and 2010 during the Ben Mankiewicz hours. (Of course, that gives ammo to the anti-Sixties movies crowd, doesn't it?)

Kyle In Hollywood

ps - Was this past Saturday's showing of the Disney Treasure Island a "premiere"? I don't remember that version being shown before and was sad to have missed seeing it from the beginning.

Given that I'm kind of a "way back machine" this is a set up that was not uncommon (at least in Balt/DC area) back in the 70's and 80's. As most men worked during the week they programmed the "guy" stuff for the weekends.

There may be still some of that mentality. Granted people's lives and schedules are different but some of that carries on.

The same thing applied to franchise films. Every Saturday or Sunday morning you got Abbott and Costello or Blondie or Philo Vance or Mr. Moto. Generally that was the only time they were scheduled.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings