Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Are Today's Future Classic Stars???

movielover11

I agree with the Johnny Depp but not on the Leo Decrapio. Hahaha. Leo is nothing but a cute face that has gotten lucky with parts. Anyone who refuses to show up to the Academy Awards cuz he was not nominated for playing himself (Titanic), should be in the BIG BABY HALL OF FAME, not a member of classic Hollywood.

I lived in the lower east side of NYC, just like Bogie did. The LES has a lot of secrets and it has some on Leo, trust me I know.

Sorry Kim......gonna have to disagree here. Just the fact that Scorcese has decided to use Leo exclusively in his films bodes well for him.

Dirty Secrets?

That will HURT HIS REP??

Ever heard of Tyrone Power? James Dean? Monty Clift? Charles Laughton?

How bout George Cukor? Tallulah Bankhead...Marlene Deitrich....

You get my drift. BTW.....I'm not a die-hard Leo fan. His resume is looking pretty good,though.

Perhaps Scarlett Johansson. Swank and Theron have a shot, if one considers them young. Audiences, however, will never look upon this accessible, non-studio system generation of stars with the awe they reserved for Tracy, Bogey, Coop and Ingrid. Cary Grant and Grace Kelly were movie stars- Nicky Cage and Angelina Jolie are actors.

I have to disagree about Leo DiCaprio being "classic" material. Would he stand on his own if it weren't for Scorsese? As for future classic stars that will be long remembered...I don't know. It's difficult to follow the likes of Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Loretta Young, Cary Grant, etc.

After being spoiled on the best, today's "stars" seem secondary. JMHO.

I don't look at any of todays actors as either stars or celebrities" In my humble opion the last great star still alive and working is Eastwood, I reckon George Clooney and Mel Gibson are probably going to be considered future classic stars . I can live without Enterimanint Tonight and inside edition. I'm not saying Bogart was a saint, but he had more style and class in his pinky just doing a interview then anyone today, or in the last 20-30 years,,, Too bad we can't go back to the studio system in some ways they had the right idea,,, guess I'd better get off my soapbox...lol

The only name I can think of that is a certainty to me is Johnny Depp..

A lot of todays 'stars' dont click with me much

I contemplated Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie

How about these people

Jodie Foster ?

Bruce Willis ?

Tobey McGuire ?

Bruce Campbell ?

John Travolta ?

Arnold Schwarzenegger ? LOL

Dwayne the Rock Johnson ?

Sly Stallone ?

Al Pacino ?

Are there any future classic movies ??

Here are a few that I can think of

Sixth Sense

Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter & the 6 sequels

Memento

Im sure there are plenty more but I usually stick to horror science fiction & off the wall cult movies as far as watching modern movies go...

I remember seeing Leonardo DiCaprio for the first time on the big screen in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE? Everyone I know who saw that movie, myself included, was blown away by what this kid did in the role of Depp's younger brother. This was not a fluke. This guy has talent and has proven it over and again. I thought he was really good in TITANIC. You really felt this guy's energy and vitality. In Scorcese's films, he has gone even further . So, yeah, definitely Di Caprio will be remembered. And Depp. The key here is the term 'classic star'. Lots of very good actors are just not 'stars'. I think these two fit the bill.

I dont think they are following their acts per se, I think they are trying to make their own place in movie history..you can not really replace the Golden Age with the Bogarts, Crawfords, Grants,Garbos of the day due to movies being done differently, and it was an entirely different era..Those actors and films are irreplaceable just like the films we see today could possibly be the same way 50+ years from now...what I chilling thought...I will be over 80 by then ugh

I don't see any actors today trying to bring back a Bogart or a Karloff or Grant acting style

Ive seen Pulp Fiction, LA confidential, Reservoir Dogs...they are good, but nothing like the Golden Age

I think classic stars are like anything else termed classic in that every generation creates their own, based on overall work and whatever happens to be going on culturally at the time.

However, in the same sense I am often disappointed by what is offered in contemporary film, although there are of coarse exceptions too. Bottom line, there must be good solid material in order for a character to really shine.

Some of my favs inasfaras future classic stars

Steve Bescemi

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Amanda Plummer(although she's a bit edgy)

Susan Sarandon(I think she'd be a great pick for a movie about Bette Davis)

Jessica Lange....

ok, I could add to this list hourly, but I'll spare you the ramble. For now I can here a classic chiming away on TCM, so gotta go.

These seem to me to be endowed with that special quality that will keep them above the rest:

Cate Blanchette

Toni Colette

Claire Danes

Charleze Theron

Gwyneth Paltrow

Johnny Depp

Leonardo De Caprio

Matt Damon

Matt Dillon

Kevin Spacey

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

There are probably a few more...but not too many.

Denzel Washington

Tom Hanks

Meryl Streep

George Clooney

Matt Damon

Mark Wahlberg

Hugh Laurie

Emma Thompson

Alan Rickman

Charlize Theron

Will Smith

Cate Blanchett

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Johnny Depp

Brad Pitt

Kevin Spacey

"...I dont think they are following their acts per se, I think they are trying to make their own place in movie history..you can not really replace the Golden Age with the Bogarts, Crawfords, Grants, Garbos of the day due to movies being done differently, and it was an entirely different era..."

DS...well-put. I agree with you. Each generation will carve their own place in the pantheon of Hollywood history. I look forward to seeing Laura Linney and Cate Blanchett and Philip Seymour Hoffman when I'm old as dust.

WOW --

This topic obviously struck my fancy....sorry to ramble on so much, and please feel free to argue any of my thoughts.

Legendary Stars of the Future For Sure:

Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Susan Sarandon, Denzel Washington, John Travolta, Johnny Depp, Will Smith, Diane Keaton, Harrison Ford, Robert DeNiro, Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise --- all of these people have had terrific roles in many good (and some great) films, and all starred in movies that were big box-office hits as well as films that were critically lauded. Definitely will be Legendary for decades. I'd probably add Sigourney Weaver, Morgan Freeman, George Clooney, Mia Farrow, and maybe Mark Wahlberg and Sam Jackson here.

Less Certain Legacies:

Jodie Foster, Al Pacino, Liza Minnelli, Bruce Willis --- each starred in a couple of truly great films and then dished out years (DECADES) of junk. These people will never be forgotten, just may not be remembered as glowingly as Streep & Hanks when The Future balances all the garbage with a couple of legendary films, and these stars run the risk of being known, as an example, as Liza "Cabaret" Minnelli. (For instance, Jodie may have two well-deserved Oscars, and is terrific in "Taxi Driver," but look at the crap she generally chooses, from "Maverick" to "Panic Room"). Whoopi Goldberg belongs here too --- so good in "The Color Purple," "Ghost," and "The Long Walk Home," and then piles of dreck. Stallone and Sally Field land here as well, maybe Dustin Hoffman too. This isn't a critique of their abilities --- just a look at the direction their careers went. (For the record, I'm a huge Liza fan, and think she's amazing in "The Sterile Cuckoo" and "New York, New York" too --- just talking about how I think The Future will see these folks).

Great Actors Not Big Movie Stars:

Laura Linney, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, Dianne Weist --- these people literally never turn in a bad performance, yet they're not considered big stars even today. (All are among my absolute favorites. I would pay $11 to see Julianne Moore read the phone book without question, because she has never disappointed me yet). Other current stars that fit here: Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, Joan Allen, Ed Harris, Toni Collette, Chloe Sevigny, Joan Cusack, Tilda Swinton, Sean Penn, maybe Mark Ruffalo, Matt Dillon, and Tim Robbins. You'd add River Phoenix to this list. Should-have-been Mimi Rogers, too (rent "The Rapture" before you scoff). It will be interesting to see if any of them are idolized in the future when movie buffs look back on their work.

All Bets Are Off About How They'll Be Remembered:

Brad Pitt, Kathleen Turner, Drew Barrymore, Matt Damon, Leo DiCaprio, Kevin Spacey, Scarlett Johannson, Jamie Foxx, Jessica Lange, Sissy Spacek, Russell Crowe, Keira Knightley, Ethan Hawke, Meg Ryan, Natalie Portman

What About...?

Parker Posey, Michelle Pfeiffer, Julia Roberts, Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet, Danny DeVito, Annette Bening, John Cusack, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jeff Bridges --- I have good feelings about this group, in spite of spotty performances or less-than-great films here and there. Others in the same club: Rachel McAdams hasn't been less than stellar yet, and Jake Gyllenhaal has been terrific in a variety of roles --- he was equally good in "Brokeback Mountain" and "Jarhead" in the same year, and those two movies couldn't have been more disparate --- not to mention his turns in "Zodiac," "Donnie Darko," "October Sky," and "The Good Girl." Believe it or not, I'd put Mandy Moore here too --- she turns in good performances in the worst of circumstances; I think she's one of the most underrated performers in Hollywood. She deserves far better films than she gets (and other than "Saved!," she doesn't get very good films; she's just very good in them). For many of these people, I suspect the Future may think of them as bigger talents than they currently get credit for being (although obviously Julia Roberts gets plenty of notice).

Doubtful Their Work Will Hold Up Well in Retrospect (Although Some Will Remain Famous For Decades):

Reese Witherspoon ("Election" and "Clueless" excepted), Michael Douglas, Sandra Bullock, Bette Midler ("The Rose" excepted), Queen Latifah, Angelina Jolie, Lindsay Lohan (really good as a child, dreadful since), Burt Reynolds, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ben Stiller, Orlando Bloom, Eddie Murphy ("Dreamgirls" excepted), Woody Harrelson, Kim Basinger, Will Ferrell, Halle Berry, Alec Baldwin, Bill Murray, Geena Davis, Uma Thurman, Winona Ryder, Ashley Judd, Val Kilmer, Jude Law, Richard Gere

My Surprise Prediction:

Adam Sandler, at best ignored and generally reviled by most anybody who's anybody, will prove to have a lasting appeal. Sure, he's lowbrow to the extreme and plays stupid people in stupid movies --- but so, for example, was the brilliant Don Knotts, who brilliantly played those stupid men in those stupid movies in the 1960's. There's a warmth behind Sandler's nitwit characters that is missing in, say, Jim Carrey's performances that sets them apart. Every movie shouldn't be "Schindler's List;" so kill me, I think "Billy Madison" is funny and I think Adam Sandler is likable onscreen.

Tomorrow's Marjorie Mains Today (The Future Will Remember As Character Actors Who Were Great):

Kathy Bates, Rupert Everett, James Earl Jones, John C. Reilly. Probably this is where Dianne Weist, Ed Harris, Tommy Lee Jones, and Joan Cusack will land.

Tomorrow's Luise Rainers Today (Oscar Winners Who Won't Be Remembered Beyond the Next Few Years):

Charlize Theron, Joaquin Phoenix, Helen Hunt ... definitely Helen Hunt, who gave one of the flattest performances ever to win the Oscar. Admit it: you'd already forgotten she won. And already forgotten her altogether.

The Future Wonders What the Hell We Were Thinking:

Robin Williams (!), Jim Carrey, Keanu Reeves, Nicole Kidman, Nicolas Cage, Madonna (as an actress), Cuba Gooding Jr., Matthew McConaghey, Ben Affleck, Greg Kinnear, Jennifer Lopez, Jimmy Fallon, Kirsten Dunst, Tim Allen, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Crystal, Kate Hudson --- all generally horrible. It mystifies me that Robin Williams is still allowed to make movies after some of the gems he has lobbed at us. "Patch Adams," anyone?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings