Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ignored Movies (I'd/We'd?) Like to See Again!

31 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

especially when the first thing people looked at each month upon the release of a new schedule was "is NORTH BY NORTHWEST airing again?" Then when it started airing twice a month this angered viewers who either didn't care for the movie or liked it but already had their fill.

Again, I don't have stats in front of me to back this up, but it's when a film is scheduled three times in a relatively short span, that I really start to get irked - I think that Zhivago, Laurence of Arabia, Young Frankenstein & NBNW have all managed this at various points. These are all films that I enjoy & will watch countless times and there may have been reasons for their schedule gluts (tribute to Gene Wilder in YF's case coincided with a pair of regularly placed schedule slots), but I'd generally prefer a quarter or so between airings.

It is interesting that films like Casablanca & Meet Me in St, Louis seem to escape becoming the same kind of lightening rods for scheduling criticism that NBNW managed to achieve. I think some of this is down to the sheer 'classic' quality of the films, but also that the newer, widescreen films tend to stand out more when they appear frequently.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, limey said:

Again, I don't have stats in front of me to back this up, but it's when a film is scheduled three times in a relatively short span, that I really start to get irked - I think that Zhivago, Laurence of Arabia, Young Frankenstein & NBNW have all managed this at various points. These are all films that I enjoy & will watch countless times and there may have been reasons for their schedule gluts (tribute to Gene Wilder in YF's case coincided with a pair of regularly placed schedule slots), but I'd generally prefer a quarter or so between airings.

It is interesting that films like Casablanca & Meet Me in St, Louis seem to escape becoming the same kind of lightening rods for scheduling criticism that NBNW managed to achieve. I think some of this is down to the sheer 'classic' quality of the films, but also that the newer, widescreen films tend to stand out more when they appear frequently.

But if CASABLANCA started airing every week, then it too would become a source of criticism.

Looking at these three titles, I'd say NORTH BY NORTHWEST will gain in stature because Hitchock's films usually do (they take on a sort of added subversive value). CASABLANCA has a timeless romantic quality but is very much a product of its era; and that could work against it in the long run (if it starts to seem more and more "dated"). MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS is a studio confection, overly sentimental with nostalgia layered on so thick that it can only be appreciated as escapist entertainment (its lack of realism may be a stumbling block with future audiences-- I can't relate to any of the characters in that movie or their situations, can you?). 

But in terms of cinema history, all films should be in rotation, not just the darling critical faves. I enjoy the Saturday morning/daytime lineups. In my view serials and low-budget Tex Ritter westerns are just as important as the titles on Tom's list of TCM's most played movies. They all tell us something about viewing habits and where we've been. If NORTH BY NORTHWEST is the only thing that airs, then a lot of our movie history becomes obscured which does us all a disservice and possibly increases our ignorance.

• Like 1

It's interesting to note that nearly all of these movies that have been shown quite a lot on TCM are easily available on DVD and/or Blu-Ray, so that may also dampen the enthusiasm of their being shown quite a lot. 

And also a lot of these films that only get shown once in a while have yet to make it even on DVD let alone Blu-Ray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS is a studio confection, overly sentimental with nostalgia layered on so thick that it can only be appreciated as escapist entertainment (its lack of realism may be a stumbling block with future audiences-- I can't relate to any of the characters in that movie or their situations, can you?). 

In modern context, no. But, I'd like to. That unrealistic escapist element is something that future audiences may increasingly crave, as relief from their own complex, un-sugar-coated existences.

From a rabid collector perspective, it'd be nice if TCM deliberately scheduled the rare & obscure, so that these films  would lose that status - but, given it's also aiming to entertain a more casual audience (and keep it's ratings high enough to economically continue serving the media networks carrying it), the schedule is always going to be a compromise.

This thread is a great place to nominate your rarely/never seens against the data established by the likes of yourself & MCOH. Hopefully the great unseen scheduler deity will peer at this thread for periodic inspiration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a horserace!

I'm rooting for Robin Hood to at least tie with Meet Me in St Louis for second place in broadcasts, eventually to become No. 2 all on its own. But with Philadelphia Story breathing down his Saxon neck it could be tough for him to even maintain third spot.

Annex%20-%20Flynn,%20Errol%20(Adventures

"Okay, Meet Me in St, Louis, you're next!"

FCC-CASABLANCA-Humphrey-Bogart.jpg

"You know where you can shove that bow and arrow, bub. You'll never catch me."

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, limey said:

In modern context, no. But, I'd like to. That unrealistic escapist element is something that future audiences may increasingly crave, as relief from their own complex, un-sugar-coated existences.

From a rabid collector perspective, it'd be nice if TCM deliberately scheduled the rare & obscure, so that these films  would lose that status - but, given it's also aiming to entertain a more casual audience (and keep it's ratings high enough to economically continue serving the media networks carrying it), the schedule is always going to be a compromise.

This thread is a great place to nominate your rarely/never seens against the data established by the likes of yourself & MCOH. Hopefully the great unseen scheduler deity will peer at this thread for periodic inspiration.

That's kind of the whole point I would think.  The rest of this just seems pedantic to me.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That's kind of the whole point I would think.  The rest of this just seems pedantic to me.

Not sure if that was a gentle poke at something I wrote, but internet forums are the world of the pedant where anything can be discussed/prodded/poked until quantum singularity is achieved.

Sure, I'd love TCM to be the obscure, rarities, never released-to-any-home-media channel, but the reality is that it's unlikely to fully do that, or survive if it did.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Not if you want a film horserace. ;)

Hey, we could open a betting book on the results & make a ton of money with a slick wire scam!

Hands up all who agree...

29.jpg

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, limey said:

Not sure if that was a gentle poke at something I wrote, but internet forums are the world of the pedant where anything can be discussed/prodded/poked until quantum singularity is achieved.

Sure, I'd love TCM to be the obscure, rarities, never released-to-any-home-media channel, but the reality is that it's unlikely to fully do that, or survive if it did.

Not at all.  Just can't believe some are finding this so interesting.  If you take it personally, that is up to you, but not coming from me. 

P.S. I'm just in it for the rarities at this point.

7 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Not at all.  Just can't believe some are finding this so interesting.  If you take it personally, that is up to you, but not coming from me.

No, nothing personal taken MCOH - but, I do find it quite interesting to discover what films folks think may be deserving of getting a schedule slot in lieu of the usual suspects - if only to potentially add to my own try-to-find-and-watch list.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TomJH said:

What I find interesting about that top 15 list (actually more than 15 since there are a number of ties) is how many posters have zeroed in on Hitchcock's North By Northwest for criticism of the repeats but leave many of the other titles alone.

I mean who says, Oh NO! On the Town's on again, or Robin Hood, among so many others. Robin Hood's repeats beat out NBNW by a considerable number, in fact.

Well, I may have never said it out loud, but I definitely roll my eyes whenever On the Town is on.

I can't help but wonder if anyone at TCM is aware of MovieCollectorOH's database and made any programming decisions accordingly. My guess is maybe to the first question and no to the second, but who knows?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, limey said:

I think NBNW is criticized more for how long it is and how much of the schedule it takes up every time it is scheduled (Zhivago and Ben Hur are criticized a lot too which fits with my theory).

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, I may have never said it out loud, but I definitely roll my eyes whenever On the Town is on.

I can't help but wonder if anyone at TCM is aware of MovieCollectorOH's database and made any programming decisions accordingly. My guess is maybe to the first question and no to the second, but who knows?

There was one time that I noticed Ben M. say something about the viewers "having some very impressive movie databases."  Or something to that effect.  I doubt he was singling me out though.  There are plenty of other viewers who actually do a decent job, and by doing their own research.

I have wondered here or there about are what kind of access they might have to their own historical transmission log info, and how it might factor in to their scheduling.  Mostly though I am trying to raise the bar for myself some, as well as what appears to be maybe a handful of others.

http://moviecollector.us/reports.htm

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

There was one time that I noticed Ben M. say something about the viewers "having some very impressive movie databases."  Or something to that effect.  I doubt he was singling me out though.  There are plenty of other viewers who actually do a decent job, and by doing their own research.

I have wondered here or there about are what kind of access they might have to their own historical transmission log info, and how it might factor in to their scheduling.  Mostly though I am trying to raise the bar for myself some, as well as what appears to be maybe a handful of others.

AH! Then I believe I might have gleaned the answer to this mystery here, MCOH!

Ya see, a friend of a friend of mine who lives in Atlanta was recently granted access into the TCM Programming Scheduling Dept., and he told my friend who in turn told ME that he found their process in this regard was really really antiquated!

Yep! Seems those TCM employees there actually DON'T have a "database" per se, but in fact are STILL usin' one of THESE things here...

th?id=OIP.XNSmIYzl1nhIzok2PWDpLgHaHa&pid

(...guess those recent budget cuts of theirs were far worse than we thought, huh)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yep! Seems those TCM employees there actually DON'T have a "database" per se, but in fact are STILL usin' one of THESE things here...

Heh, I can see them picking movies russian roulette style by spinning the cards round & selecting whatever is left showing. Wouldn't be surprised if a few cards tend to stick...

At least the only database crash they'll ever suffer, is if someone knocks the Rolodex off the desk.

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Dargo said:

AH! Then I believe I might have gleaned the answer to this mystery here, MCOH!

Ya see, a friend of a friend of mine who lives in Atlanta was recently granted access into the TCM Programming Scheduling Dept., and he told my friend who in turn told ME that he found their process in this regard was really really antiquated!

(...guess those recent budget cuts of theirs were far worse than we thought, huh)

Now that is a nice Rolodex, I wouldn't mind having one like that on my desk in fact.  It would just need to have more cards.

I would imagine they probably have a custom desktop application for a front end, written decades ago yet still used because "it just works" (mainly to put a degree of isolation between the data entry employees and the actual database so the whole thing isn't vulnerable to any one person, and also  so that the users don't have to be computer experts to use it).  The actual database would be running on a server somewhere else.  Most companies I have worked do something like this.  So think of a rather mundane-looking computer program that looks like it was written in the 1990s, and you probably wouldn't be that far off.

P.S. Newer systems often use a web browser interface instead of a custom application, and the DB server also runs a mini web server.  I don't think they would have upgraded to something like that unless there was some driving need.  You see this in hospital systems for instance, the driving need was emerging HIPAA regulations for patient records.

9 hours ago, limey said:

Heh, I can see them picking movies russian roulette style by spinning the cards round & selecting whatever is left showing. Wouldn't be surprised if a few cards tend to stick...

At least the only database crash they'll ever suffer, is if someone knocks the Rolodex off the desk.

Love it!!

On 1/3/2018 at 6:31 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Now I was able to track down a VHS copy of it to watch it, but how about Isadora from 1968? The story of Isadora Duncan, it received very strong notices for Vanessa Redgrave. Some hold it to be one of her best performances. But it has never aired on TCM and there is no DVD.

Blog+Art+-+Isadora.jpg

And two other little seen Universal films from the same vintage....

Diary of a Mad Housewife, with a strong, Oscar-Nominated performance from Carrie Snodgress...

Blog+Art+-+Diary+of+a+Mad+Hosuewife8.jpg

And Puzzle of a Downfall Child, which has one of Faye Dunaway's most sadly overlooked performances....

v1.bTsxMTU1MTcyMztqOzE3NjM4OzEyMDA7NTAwO

Three great movies that need more attention. Glad to see someone posting about them. After watching "Isadora" I never again wore a very long scarf...in fear of being strangled to death!

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Three great movies that need more attention. Glad to see someone posting about them. After watching "Isadora" I never again wore a very long scarf...in fear of being strangled to death!

You just triggered a memory & answered a question that had been rattling around my cranium for a couple of decades. That scene with the scarf has stayed with me since seeing it on TV back in the UK, but I could never remember the name of the film & never again came across it on my cinematic travels.

Another one for the bucket list...

• Like 1
20 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I tend to remember death scenes in films. A very strange friend of mine once asked me to tape just the death scenes from the original movie "The Godfather". It was still a pretty long tape...

v1.bjsyMTQwMzI7ajsxNzU1MjsxMjAwOzIwMDA7M

"Who says I'm obsessed with death? And thanks for the tape."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 9.35.33 AM.png

Thought I'd mention an email I received from a friend of mine in Los Angeles. He works in film preservation, and we have conversations about Republic Pictures, a studio we both love. The good news is Martin Scorsese also loves Republic, and he's been working with archivists at Paramount for the past several years to restore much of Republic's library (Republic features were produced from 1935-1959). Counting serials, Republic made nearly 1000 features during that quarter century. Scorsese and Paramount, which now owns Republic's library, have restored about 800 of these. Such good news.

Anyway, the email I received from my friend informed me that Scorsese and a Paramount executive are overseeing a special screening of rare Republics at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Scorsese picked 30 films from a broad range of genre and directorial styles to best represent the studio's output. Next month MoMa will showcase 14 of them; and in August they will screen the other ones he chose. Scorsese will appear at the museum the day one of his very favorite Republics is screened to give a short lecture before the movie. On another day, the Paramount exec whose name escapes me will do a lecture on Republic's B cowboy westerns before a screening of a Roy Rogers classic.

It is the sincere hope of my friend (and myself) that these 800 restored classics will be made available by Paramount in home video format and that they might partner with TCM to bring some of them to the channel. Imagine a whole new crop of classic films getting their premieres on TCM. Please TCM programmers make it happen!

Here's the trailer for MoMA's special series on Republic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbYInnwlfL0

• Like 3