Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ignored Movies (I'd/We'd?) Like to See Again!

On 1/20/2018 at 9:27 PM, Stephan55 said:

Thanks MCOH for that confirmation. I know of some avid movie collectors that have over 10,000 different titles in their personal collections, that is why I somehow imagined that with TCM the individual count would be so much higher after almost 24 years being on the air.

Regarding the other. Some databases, spreadsheets, etc. can be set-up so that the columns can be arranged in ascending or descending, chronological or numeric order, allowing a simple adjustment if one chose to view the list by title, date, or number, etc. If your massive list doesn't have that ability then I can imagine it would almost be like rebuilding the entire work again to make it function in those ways. That would be a herculean time consuming effort, and entirely unnecessary since this was something that you essentially just did for yourself and then chose to share with the rest of us here. I/"we" are very grateful for the massive work that you've already done so please do not press yourself to do more. It is enough. Thank you.

http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

It's not that big a thing, just need to look into it.  My day job (and the flu) have been keeping me out of circulation.

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

My pick is of more recent vintage:  The Whole Wide World from 1996 with Vincent D'Onofrio as writer Robert E. Howard and Renee Zellweger as his friend.  Vincent gives an excellent performance as Howard, the imaginative writer who created pulp fantasy fiction but had limited exposure to the real world - much due to a needy mother.

Never seen this one before Christine. I like Zellweger & D'Onofrio, and the wiki plot sounds interesting.
Looks like TCM has never shown it yet.
I see that it was released on DVD in both March 2002 & July 2003. I'll have to check out my library to see if it's there or available from an interlibrary loan. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

South Sea Sinner (1950) Distributed by Universal Pictures
Also Featuring MacDonald Carey, Frank Lovejoy, Helena Carter, Art Smith, and (playing it "straight") a young Liberace. According to MCOH TCM schedule has Never aired on TCM.

The title sounds familiar, but I can't recall ever seeing that version....

I know I've seen the "original" version, Seven Sinners (1940), with with John Wayne and Marlene Dietrich,
maybe even on TCM before as according to the MCOH schedule it has shown a total of 8x on TCM, though very long ago (last 2x aired 2002-02, 2002-01).
Great NEVER Seen on TCM title Swithin. If TCM could procure "rights" to both versions maybe they could air them back-to-back one evening, like they sometimes do with "makes & remakes."

South Sea Sinner used to be on during the wee hours, on local NYC stations.

I think this type of film (i.e. "bad" girls shlepping around the South Seas) owes a debt to Somerset Maugham and his story "Miss Thompson" (aka "Rain"); but South Sea Sinner, with its unusual combination of talent, is, as I recall, a special pleasure.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Thenryb said:

The Last Valley(1971) a Micheal Caine movie involving a group of Protestant soldiers who stumble across a valley occupied by German Catholic villagers during the 30 years war. The valley is untouched by the ravages of war. Not sure it is either a classic or "forgotten", but it has been a long time since I have seen it.

The Last Valley (1971) NEVER Aired on TCM!
Directed by James Clavell, cast includes Michael Caine, Omar Sharif, Florinda Bolkan, Nigel Davenport, Arthur O'Connell, and Brian Blessed.
Clavell is a great one for historical epics, and for those that love history (and even for some of those that don't) this is a Great period piece. Although quite dark at times. With ensuing starvation and plague following the war-torn devastation that was (1618–1648) Europe. 
I remember seeing this movie long ago, but never on TCM. Would sure like to see it again!
Released by MGM on DVD in 2004.

NOT forgotten (at least not by us), though likewise a long time since last seen. Great Suggestion Thanks!

Immediately brought to mind two other historical dramas.

The War Lord (1965) Per MCOH schedule has shown only 4x on TCM. Last 2x aired were 3/2006-12/2005.
Directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, Distributed by Universal Pictures
With Charlton Heston, Richard Boone, Rosemary Forsyth, Maurice Evans, Guy Stockwell, James Farentino, Henry Wilcoxon, and Niall MacGinnis (among others).

This is an even earlier period dark adventure, taking place during the time of William the Conqueror (the Duke of Normandy). Heston plays a Norman knight tasked with pacifying a native British village. But he compromises his mission when he exercises the "right of first night" with a village maiden (Forsyth) with whom he is attracted. When morning comes he is thoroughly smitten and refuses to return the girl to her new husband.
Well done period piece romdram with lots of ensuing action.
Recently reissued on DVD (Nov 21, 2014). Time for TCM to give us another look! 

A later historical piece, circa 1750 is

The Mission (1986) NEVER Aired on TCM!
A British production Distributed by Warner Bros. and Directed by Roland Joffé.
Excellent Cast includes Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons, Aidan Quinn, Liam Neeson, Ray McAnally (and many others).

Filmed on location and based on events surrounding the Treaty of Madrid (1750), which divided South America into spheres of Spanish and Portuguese colonial influence.
At that time, under Spanish law, Jesuit missions had been relatively "safe" havens for the Guaraní Indians and the Jesuit priests "christianizing" them. In the treaty, Spain ceded part of Paraguay to Portugal, which allowed indigenous slavery. The reapportioned land included several Jesuit missions and Guaraní villages.

In the movie, De Niro plays a mercenary slaver who makes his living kidnapping Guarani natives and selling them to plantations. In a fit of jealous rage he kills his brother and, though legally acquitted, he spirals into a guilt ridden depression. He is visited by a Jesuit priest (Jeremy Irons) who challenges him to undertake a suitable penance. After a harrowing journey, De Niro must face the very Guaraní with whom he has been victimizing!

This film is a history lesson on the contradictions of history, and so much more!
Nominated for several Academy awards (winning for Best Cinematography), this beautiful film flopped at the box office.
The DVD is currently only available in Region 2 format (some used region 1 dvds may still be available). It was released on Blu-ray in 2010.
I saw this in the late 1980s, and was deeply moved by it. And, like all those mentioned above, wish TCM would check into showing it to us at some time, soon! Please.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

It's not that big a thing, just need to look into it.  My day job (and the flu) have been keeping me out of circulation.

Take care of yourself buddy. You know the routine.
Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or an arm when you cough or sneeze.
Keep unwashed hands away from your face (eyes, nose, and mouth, are excellent portals for infection).
Beware of ALL potentially contaminated surfaces (especially shared keyboards, desktops, and doorknobs, etc. etc. etc. Wash hands or use alcohol based sanitizer routinely!
Tell others to do the same!
If sick, Stay at home, rest, keep well hydrated (plenty of warm fluids). 
This is a particularly bad flu "season." The vaccines formulated are only about 30 percent effective this year, and aren't protecting against the dominate strain which persons are coming down with. Not as bad as the H1N1 of 2010, but bad enough!
No vaccine is perfect. But since we can become infected with multiple strains simultaneously, it's still wise to be immunized!

53 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

The Mission (1986) NEVER Aired on TCM!
A British production Distributed by Warner Bros. and Directed by Roland Joffé.
Excellent Cast includes Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons, Aidan Quinn, Liam Neeson, Ray McAnally (and many others).

This film is a history lesson on the contradictions of history, and so much more!
Nominated for several Academy awards (winning for Best Cinematography), this beautiful film flopped at the box office.
The DVD is currently only available in Region 2 format (some used region 1 dvds may still be available). It was released on Blu-ray in 2010.
I saw this in the late 1980s, and was deeply moved by it. And, like all those mentioned above, wish TCM would check into showing it to us at some time, soon! Please.

I remember The Mission well and am surprised to hear that it is a rarity. A fine film, it would go well on TCM, on a (very long) double bill with Scorsese's Silence (2016). The Mission has a fine score by Ennio Morricone. Actually, we might as well throw in The Black Robe (1991 -- a rather heartbreaking film as I recall) and make it a triple bill.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

I remember The Mission well and am surprised to hear that it is a rarity. A fine film, it would go well on TCM, on a (very long) double bill with Scorsese's Silence (2016). The Mission had a fine score by Ennio Morricone. Actually, we might as well throw in The Black Robe (a rather heartbreaking film as I recall) and make it a triple bill.

I think that there is a marketing movement to not reissue movies on DVD anymore, especially if a Blu-ray edition is in the works.

Yes, The Mission had a beautiful Morricone score. Beautiful, tragically sad, movie all around.

As was

Black Robe (1991) based on the book by Brian Moore. An early 17th century Jesuit missionary biopic set in "French Canada" with Algonquin Indians as the recipients of the white man's "generosity."  
Indeed, very "heartbreakingly" sad.

The DVD (Feb 2004, reissue) is still currently available!

Black Robe was released on the heals of such recent Native American revisionist "westerns" as
Dances with Wolves (1990) (which BTW, TCM did air (one time) during the May 2010 "Spotlight on Native Americans"). All three of these films featured a strong Native (South & North) American cast, speaking indigenous dialects (The last two included the excellent Tantoo Cardinal.)

I've yet to see Silence (2016), but it is on my WATCH LIST.
Some may think it too soon for TCM to air that one, but you are very right, it would do well on a long triple bill with Jesuit missionaries being the theme "spotlighted."  hint, hint, hint, TCM...

• Like 1

I tried to think of some beloved (by me, anyway) movies of my childhood, and I started wondering if TCM had ever shown The Bad News Bears, which is a Paramount picture. According to MovieCollectorOH's database, they've actually shown it quite a bit, but not for eight years now. I'm sure I haven't seen it for at least 30 years. I would definitely check it out if they ever show it again.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I tried to think of some beloved (by me, anyway) movies of my childhood, and I started wondering if TCM had ever shown The Bad News Bears, which is a Paramount picture. According to MovieCollectorOH's database, they've actually shown it quite a bit, but not for eight years now. I'm sure I haven't seen it for at least 30 years. I would definitely check it out if they ever show it again.

The Bad News Bears (1976) per MCOH database Shown 17x by TCM, last 2x shown  8/2010, 1/2010.
I DVR'd in Jan 2009. Walter Matthau, Vic Morrow, and the ever precocious Tatum O'Neal. Very funny movie.
There's a Special Edition DVD released as recently as Apr 25, 2017. As well as older Feb 2002 edition DVD's still available.
There's even a Bad News Bears 4-Movie Collection (DVD's issued Sep 2011).
So if TCM won't show it again, after going on 8 years, then it can be easily had for purchase, rent, or borrow from your local library. 

• Like 1

Wow, is Vic Morrow in it? That shows how long it's been since I've seen it. I didn't even know who Vic Morrow was when I first saw the film. I first became aware of him when I was a teenager because of his final appearance in the Twilight Zone movie, because the papers had been full of stories about his death and the deaths of two children during filming. And maybe somewhere I'd read he was the father of Jennifer Jason-Leigh, whom I knew from about a hundred and fifty secret late-night viewings on HBO of Fast Times at Ridgmont High, so I could see the bare breasts of her and Phoebe Cates after my parents had gone to sleep!

• Like 1

Here's what I'd like to see.

I'd like to see TCM call director John Dahl and invite him to their studio to introduce (along of course with nasally Ben), three of his early career AND terrific Neo-Noir films, Kill Me Again (1989), Red Rock West (1993) and The Last Seduction (1994).

(...none of which I believe have ever been shown on TCM)  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, is Vic Morrow in it? That shows how long it's been since I've seen it. I didn't even know who Vic Morrow was when I first saw the film. I first became aware of him when I was a teenager because of his final appearance in the Twilight Zone movie, because the papers had been full of stories about his death and the deaths of two children during filming. And maybe somewhere I'd read he was the father of Jennifer Jason-Leigh, whom I knew from about a hundred and fifty secret late-night viewings on HBO of Fast Times at Ridgmont High, so I could see the bare breasts of her and Phoebe Cates after my parents had gone to sleep!

Phoebe Cates! :P
Paradise

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Here's what I'd like to see.

I'd like to see TCM call director John Dahl and invite him to their studio to introduce (along of course with nasally Ben), three of his early career AND terrific Neo-Noir films, Kill Me Again (1989), Red Rock West (1993) and The Last Seduction (1994).

(...none of which I believe have ever been shown on TCM)  

I am embarrassed to say that I can't remember seeing any of those three movies mentioned... ever.
And when I saw John Dahl my first thought was of The Corn Is Green (1945), Rope (1948), Gun Crazy (1950), Spartacus (1960), and Atlantis, the Lost Continent (1961).
I didn't realize that he'd turned to directing late in life, in fact I thought that he'd long passed away.
Then I checked wicki to see what I'd been missing.
So there are actually TWO John Dahl's
The actor who passed away on January 15, 1971. And the director who was born in 1956. Evidently no relationship between the two (aside from name).
Of the latter, I have seen Rounders (1998) and The Great Raid (2005). And after reading about his other flicks, I now am intrigued to see them as well!
Yep! an XLNT idea you have there Dargo, I'll second that... Now, if only Ben and company would take a gander in these parts.
Thanks Darg, for turn'n me on to these (for me, Never Seen Before) movies!

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Never seen this one before Christine. I like Zellweger & D'Onofrio, and the wiki plot sounds interesting.
Looks like TCM has never shown it yet.
I see that it was released on DVD in both March 2002 & July 2003. I'll have to check out my library to see if it's there or available from an interlibrary loan. Thanks!

I hope you get a chance to see it, Stephan55.  I saw it on a movie channel (can't remember which one) but it wasn't on TCM.

THE LAST SEDUCTION is great neo-noir.  I think it was on HBO originally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/20/2018 at 9:27 PM, Stephan55 said:

Thanks MCOH for that confirmation. I know of some avid movie collectors that have over 10,000 different titles in their personal collections, that is why I somehow imagined that with TCM the individual count would be so much higher after almost 24 years being on the air.

Regarding the other. Some databases, spreadsheets, etc. can be set-up so that the columns can be arranged in ascending or descending, chronological or numeric order, allowing a simple adjustment if one chose to view the list by title, date, or number, etc. If your massive list doesn't have that ability then I can imagine it would almost be like rebuilding the entire work again to make it function in those ways. That would be a herculean time consuming effort, and entirely unnecessary since this was something that you essentially just did for yourself and then chose to share with the rest of us here. I/"we" are very grateful for the massive work that you've already done so please do not press yourself to do more. It is enough. Thank you.

Stephan55, last night I made up a new report.  See if this is what you were thinking of.
http://moviecollector.us/reports/Movies-Only_times-shown-&-last-scheduled.htm

• Thanks 2
14 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Stephan55, last night I made up a new report.  See if this is what you were thinking of.

Excellent, MCOH. Exactly what I wanted for us to be able to see. :)
Thank you very much!
Now any of us that want to look at which movies that TCM has rarely shown, can look at this alternate data base and at a glance we see the frequency, date last aired, and title!
And thanks to your original database, we can still check alphabetically to see if our favorite (or the title in question) has ever been aired before on TCM, how many times, and when it was last shown.

I hope that this was not too much trouble for you?
Also hope that you are recovering from the flu, and feeling better than you were?
Thank you again for all that you do for us here!:)

To the TCM Moderator, with MCOH's permission, could you please consider "pinning" MovieCollectorOH's database links to the top of this and the Information Please Forums.

They are both excellent and highly relevant to many of the discussions which take place in the General Discussion and questions in the Information Please Forums.

How about some of the below, not sure if they have ever been shown or not:

Satan in High Heels (1962) 

Tell Me in the Sunlight (1965) 

Who Killed Teddy Bear (1965) 

Aroused (1966) 

The Incident (1967)

Darker Than Amber (1970) 

Lenny (1974) 

The Killer Inside Me (1976) 

Hammett (1982)

Vice Squad (1982)

To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

The Kill-Off (1990)

The Hot Spot (1990) 

Impulse (1990)

A Rage In Harlem (1991)

The Wrong Man (1993) 

The Last Seduction (1994)

Hard Eight (1996) 

Mulholland Falls (1996) 

Hit Me (1996)

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Excellent, MCOH. Exactly what I wanted for us to be able to see. :)
Thank you very much!
Now any of us that want to look at which movies that TCM has rarely shown, can look at this alternate data base and at a glance we see the frequency, date last aired, and title!
And thanks to your original database, we can still check alphabetically to see if our favorite (or the title in question) has ever been aired before on TCM, how many times, and when it was last shown.

I hope that this was not too much trouble for you?
Also hope that you are recovering from the flu, and feeling better than you were?
Thank you again for all that you do for us here!:)

Not a big deal at all.  Flu only lasted a few days for me.  Just needed to set aside some time so I could focus.  I added it as a normal report.  You're welcome. 

• Thanks 1

Here are a couple more I'd like to see again and it's been ages since I first saw them:  One False Move (1992) and directed by Carl Franklin.  Racial stereotypes (on all sides) are turned upside down in this great crime thriller that has some intense violent moments.  Bill Paxton leads a fine cast.  Auto Focus (2002) and directed by Paul Shrader.  It's about actor Bob Crane and his descent into sex obsession/addiction and how it hurt his career and marriages with sterling performances by Greg Kinnear and Willem Dafoe (this guy is so good in everything).  Both these movies would have to be shown later at night as they are strictly for grownups.  I think I saw them on HBO originally but I'd be happy to see TCM run them.

• Like 2

The Mission surprises me a bit, given its stunning cinematography (for which it won an Oscar) big-name stars and prestige feel. It seems a TCM natural. Seems like it would have made the 31 Days roster at least once in the network's history, if nothing else. I had to look it up. I was a bit surprised neither of its stars were nominated, but it was up for Best Picture and Best Director and several of the crew awards. And I think Warner Bros., with whom TCM is very cozy, holds the rights. At least they did at one time.

• Like 1
On 1/30/2018 at 6:35 AM, cigarjoe said:

How about some of the below, not sure if they have ever been shown or not:

Hammett (1982)

I was looking at movieCollectors' massive air list the other day, and I noticed that Hammett was on it but hasn't been aired on TCM for 20 years (20 years exactly, just looked at the list again and it was shown twice in February 1998 and never since then). Given that its a really good, underappreciated film, and its effortless noir feel, I think its time to bring it back.

• Like 2

I guess one nice thing about TCM is that you just never know. This past year, TCM showed The Naked Jungle, a sort of odd combination of intimate psychosexual drama involving an arranged marriage and epic man-vs.-ant jungle adventure, a Paramount release starring Charlton Heston and Eleanor Parker. It aired in 1998 and not again until 2017, 19 years later! So, you can never say never.

• Like 1