Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most boring interstitials

cjrogan2003

Am I the only person to find that overlong, untitled interstitial that they just played that had all the stars arriving for the "That's Entertainment" premiere and ending with an extreme close-up of an MGM lion picture boring? MAN, IS THAT EVER BORING! That doesn't air very much, and I know why, because it is SO DAMN RIDICULOUS! It just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. That is a timewaster, it takes up way too much time (its a full 30 minutes!) and is just SOOOOOOOOOO tiresome to watch. Almost no one talks, we hear the same music played repeatedly, and vice versa. This is the worst of all the interstitials they played. A much, much, MUCH better half-hour interstitial would be, of course, the 1925 MGM Studio Tour. I have been wanting to capture that one as well. I saw it once and I loved it. A great way to see the studio in its second year on its long road to success. L.B. Mayer really ran that studio great. What is even more damaging is that the color resolution is horribly inferior compared to Technicolor and even the studios in-house printing lab Metrocolor. It is the typical fuzzy image found in most documentaries, commercials and news broadcasts found at the time.

Those "From the Vaults" are always obnonxious and exhausting because they are overlong "behind-the-scenes" look at a film being made, plus the color and image for the same reasons. Don't you agree that TCM needs to stop playing these "behind-the-scenes" films and instead focus on the one-reel wonders and the 1925 MGM Studio Tour (I saw glimpses of it again in the Lon Chaney documentary, which was very fascinating). Man, even that unnamed, undated one from the mid-1950s showing the best MGM films of the 1920s-1950s (from the original Ben Hur up to Singin' in the Rain) is annoying, because we get to see the prints of beautiful Technicolor films in wretched, faded condition.

But that's not the worst one! The worst one of them all is some "That's Entertainment" short where we are FORCED to watched pink prints of what were once great Technicolor, including Gene Kelly singing in pink rain, Judy Garland surrounded by a pink backdrop, Fred Astaire dancing in a pink subway station...in heaven's name, can't we stop seeing these? PLEASE!!??? Ugh. I HATE these SO MUCH! I'd rather watch two-reel musical shorts, Judy Garland and Deanna Durbin's "Every Sunday" (I recorded this one), any Technicolor Vitaphone musical shorts, the all-star Technicolor shorts like "Pirate Party", "La Fiesta" and "Swingtime in the Movies", the Technicolor musical studio tour short ("Hollywood Wonderland"), travelogues, Pete Smith, trailers, and the 1925 Studio Tour than these unnamed rags of useless celluloid. Even those military shorts that TCM shows are long, but are not boring!

I was in the same postition. I kept waiting for the 1925 Studio Tour Short to be shown. I would either not have a tape ready when it was shown or when I was sure it was gonna be shown I was stuck with that lame MGM Anniversary thing, talking about the Sunshine Boys. There is hope, a company name Moviecraft puts this short out on video. It comes along with the Universal 1925 Studio short. They sell it for $20.

I enjoyed the "That's Entertainment" premiere segment, but it was poorly-produced. You're right about the repetitive music. Also, they should have had the names up on the screen, just as a "who's-who" thing. I kept thinking "Is that Cyd Charisse or Ava Gardner?" or "That can't be June Allyson - she looks younger than she had thirty years prior!" or (my favorite): "What was Lee Grant doing with Gene Kelly!? Did they date for a while?"

I would have enjoyed it more had someone been in the room with me to discuss it.

I REALLY don't want to offend anyone here but if it's just thirty minutes, I'm sure that you can find something else to do with your life instead of forcing yourself to watch something you don't like. Just a suggestion.........

cjrogan, do you ever have anything nice to say??? You seem like a person who just loves to complain i.e. your constant rant about things that are not in technicolor. By all means express your opinion but wow........

Archived