Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The High And The Mighty

xxmass

Hi, I finally got to see The High And The Mighty. The last time I saw this film was back in 1955, which my parents took me to see it. Being only 5 years old all I remembered was the the music. What a big disapointment. I have read some reviews, and they all said mainly the same thing. A soap opera in the sky, or Grand Hotel of the sky. I'am a big fan of John Wayne, but in my opion this was one of his worst films. I've always seen the Duke in lead rolls, but in this film he was playing a bit part. A'm I wrong about this trash? What do you think? I'll look forword to hear any imputs that anyone cares to offer. Thanks, Xxmass/ Larry.

Time hasn?t been kind to ?The High and the Mighty?. It must have been a big deal when it came out, back when air travel was still taking off, so to speak. At least one of the TCM host intros has referred to it as a granddaddy of air disaster films. But now it seems pretty dated. For me the focus on the lives of the passengers and their personal dramas, apparently in an attempt to get the audience to identify with them and their plight, grows tiresome pretty fast. It?s not typical Wayne in that for most of the movie he takes a back seat, rather than taking command from the outset. He?s the has-been, and he seems to accept that role within the crew, but circumstances force him to assert himself. In any case, I do think the film is too long, by a lot, but I guess that?s because it was presented as a significant film about what was then an issue of growing public concern.

The worst John Wayne film I?ve seen is 1957?s ?Jet Pilot?, and that?s saying something since Janet Leigh looks pretty wonderful in it.

I pretty much agree. Too many subplots dealing with uninteresting characters ... the film could have been a lot tighter without all that. I read the book a long time ago, but can't remember if all these characters were promiment, except for Wayne's of course. It IS fun watching him slap Robert Stack, though. And the music score still holds up well. But most of the dialogue is corny... "Now I lay me down to sleep," etc.

It reminds me a little of a contemporary feature, a shipboard disaster flick starring Bob Stack, Woody Strode, and I think Dorothy Malone. There was an aging captain most of the crew thought past his prime. Airs occasionally on TCM. Title anyone?

"The High and the Mighty" was bashed already here on the board when it first premiered on TCM.

I continue to watch the movie for the all star cast especially Jan Sterling, Paul Fix and Claire Trevor who was a hoot. Also enjoyable was the Oscar winning Dimitri Tiomkin score.

And contrary to debate the film did have some tense and effective moments.

It reminds me a little of a contemporary feature, a shipboard disaster flick starring Bob Stack, Woody Strode, and I think Dorothy Malone. There was an aging captain most of the crew thought past his prime. Airs occasionally on TCM. Title anyone?

You mean it was contempraneous with the making and release of THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY (if you consider a six-year gap between the two films "the same time"); if it had just been made now, then it would be contemporary.

I really like the movie. If you watch it as a piece of our film history, it is still a lot of fun. I thought it rather brave of John Wayne to take a backseat, so to speak, when he was at a career peak. You know, even though the crew has dismissed him, that he is in control, a sort of father figure to the others.

and I believe it's spelled contemporaneous. ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings