Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Filmmaking Rules

This one is more common in recent movies. Whenever a character is watching TV some older public domain movie like Nosferatu or something will be playing on it so the directors don't have to pay rights to show something copyrighted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

When a woman is pregnant, she never explicitly says so.  You'll see her coming out of a doctor's office, or knitting tiny booties.  Her husband will discover the news when he walks in on her practicing how to fold cloth diapers.  The next scene will show her in the hospital, cradling her new bundle of joy.  She is beautifully made up for the camera and doesn't look exhausted at all.  

If there is time that passes between the woman discovering her pregnancy and her having the baby, she always looks the same and never has to wear larger clothing.  Maternity clothing does not exist in classic film. 

Yeah, those women in classic moves do rarely tell the hubby she's "expecting" straight out.  He DOES discover the fact in the ways you stated.  And HIS typical response is:

"You mean, (blub-blub-blub)  y-y-y-y-y-you're------"  with her answer being a sly smile and nod of head.  And nine minutes instead of nine months later the little bundle is born. :)

Sepiatone 

49 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

John Wayne can be killed in a movie, but Jimmy Stewart can't.

This rule is almost invariable.

LOL

By gosh slayton, I think you're right!

DOES Jimmy ever die in a movie? I don't think so, huh.

(...can't think of one where he does anyway)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

LOL

By gosh slayton, I think you're right!

DOES Jimmy ever die in a movie? I don't think so, huh.

(...can't think of one where he does anyway)

James Stewart played Glenn Miller in a film, I haven’t seen it, but presumably his character would have to have died in that film. 

According to the trusty internet, James Stewart’s character dies in: The Shopworn Angel, Malaya, How the West Was Won and Bandelero!

• Thanks 1

There is another one where he has an incurable disease, but doesn't die by the movie's end.  However, it looks like this rule is proving too variable to be useful.  So:

If someone happens on a murder scene, and the murder weapon, like a gun, or a knife, or a fire poker, or something, is still there, that person will immediately go over to it and pick it up to get their fingerprints on it so they can be implicated in the murder.

This rule is invariable.

• Like 2

When driving a car with a passenger in said car, the driver can take his/her eyes off the road to look at the passenger for long times while talking to them with never a traffic mishap.  YOU try that and before you know it, you're "rear ending" some other car.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

During a fight scene atop some high story ledge or rock face, while the good guy will manage to ultimately extricate himself from hanging onto it with only one hand, the bad guy finding himself in the same situation will ultimately fall to his death by the end of the scene.

(...and as slayton here keeps sayin', THIS rule is invariable)

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

That rule is not invariable.

Yes, not invariable at all of course, slayton.

Eventually young Beth has yet to watch The Cowboys, Sands of Iwo Jima and few other of Big Duke's flicks.

(...and just off the top of my head in Clint's case, Grand Torino)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I forgot about THE BEGUILED, GRAN TORINO and THE COWBOYS. All right those are the exceptions to the rule. 

As for SANDS OF IWO JIMA. Haven't seen it.

And Reap the Wild Wind (1942).  And Wake of the Red Witch (1948).  And The Shootist (1976).

On 1/11/2018 at 11:02 PM, slaytonf said:

When a couple starts making out, the phone will ring.

This rule becomes increasingly variable with later movies.

Yeah, or one of the couples' Mother comes to the door.

Or the baby starts crying.

And in still newer movies, if an older married couple starts to kiss, one of their teen-aged kids will walk in and say, "EEWWwww....!" 

Sepiatone

15 hours ago, slaytonf said:

The south won the Civil War.

This rule is absolutely invariable.

I'm still trying to figure out this one here, and even after considering some kind'a "ironic" meaning to it.

(...'cause in most of the Civil War flicks I've ever seen, I don't recall this happening)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

I'm still trying to figure out this one here, and even after considering some kind'a "ironic" meaning to it.

(...'cause in most of the Civil War flicks I've ever seen, I don't recall this happening)

It is ironic, and satiric (cue my lament about the absence of an emoticon with it's tongue in its cheek).  It draws attention to the underlying message in all movies about the Civil War, and in any movie with an element of the south in it, that the motives for it were right.

• Thanks 1

When someone comes up to a door and rings, or knocks, and there is someone to answer the door, and it does not matter if the door is to an apartment, or a house , or grand manor, the door will be answered within three--no--two seconds.