Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

a sure way for tcm to boost their ratings....

Oh, wow! Love the Honeymooners but I like the original Trixie. But my box set of Thunderbirds is getting a bit worn so that would be super!

They should also show "Coronet Blue" the series that was a summer replacement back in the day, commanded a big audience and then had no ending for the lead character because it had never made it onto tv as a real series, so the bigwigs never actually finished the storyline for the main character played by Frank Converse who I think had amnesia. People were outraged! It would be like having "The Fugitive" and never finding the one-armed man or a solution to the murder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would love to see classic TV specials on TCM, such as Fred Astaire's four variety specials with Barrie Chase, or Mitzi Gaynor's specials, or Bing Crosby's specials, etc.

I have to disagree. TCM is "Turner Classic Movies". It's a movie channel with no commercial interruptions during the films. Why begin mixing in TV specials and a horde of other TV memorabilia?  There are other stations for this such as Get-TV, Antennae-TV, Me-TV, etc. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, midnight08 said:

I have to disagree. TCM is "Turner Classic Movies". It's a movie channel with no commercial interruptions during the films. Why begin mixing in TV specials and a horde of other TV memorabilia?  There are other stations for this such as Get-TV, Antennae-TV, Me-TV, etc. 

I don't know of any channels that aire classic TV specials ( I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I don't know of any.) I mentioned those three people specifically because they are film legends. I think it would be fun to see their TV specials, especially if it was part of the SOTM salute. It was interesting to see the James Dean TV programs a few months back.

16 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I don't know of any channels that aire classic TV specials ( I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I don't know of any.) I mentioned those three people specifically because they are film legends. I think it would be fun to see their TV specials, especially if it was part of the SOTM salute. It was interesting to see the James Dean TV programs a few months back.

There's one that has shown Bing Crosby, Johnny Cash, Dick Van Dyke, and Cher TV specials, among others. I'm not sure if it was GetTV, Decades or one of the others...it wasn't MeTV, though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

There's one that has shown Bing Crosby, Johnny Cash, Dick Van Dyke, and Cher TV specials, among others. I'm not sure if it was GetTV, Decades or one of the others...it wasn't MeTV, though.

Yeah, I watched all that on Get-TV and they also had Andy Williams and Judy Garland-- that's how I remembered it.

One summer I watched they had a cache of Columbia Classic Movies with  Jean Arthur-- really good stuff:

You Can't Take It With You, the Talk of the Town, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town.

It seems like they filled the rest of the schedule out with second and third rate western TV shows and the only series I was watching was Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk in The Thin Man.

I assume by "boost ratings", you mean you would watch, but as for everyone else on planet Earth ... it's not like there is any demand for this, or it would have happened already with the billion channels that are out there now. So, either you're trying to be funny, or you have a really terrible concept of what would be a "sure" way to "boost ratings".

On very rare occasions, TCM does show some TV stuff, but it tends to be filmed play performances: Shirley Booth in The Glass Menagerie, Dustin Hoffman in Death of a Salesman, Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd. Also, they once devoted a night to episodes of Screen Director's Playhouse. I vaguely recall they padded out Grace Kelly's SOTM turn with some TV stuff, since she made so few movies, and I think they have shown whatever TV stuff James Dean did. And there are the Johnny Carson clips, but those are always of him interviewing film stars, so those are tied in to the network's movie concept. I can't recall TCM ever showing episodes of TV comedies. That would be a radical departure, one I wouldn't care for, and as noted above, there are plenty of other venues for that sort of thing.  

• Like 5

I don't have a problem with TCM showing documentaries, (I don't even mind the occasional interview with an actor or actress), but I do draw the line with TV specials and shows.....there is TV LAND and METV for that kind of stuff.

Turner Classic Movies is about and should remain about the medium for which is what designed for, films.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't get any of those channels- I guess that would explain why I don't know of any that show those specials!

5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I assume by "boost ratings", you mean you would watch, but as for everyone else on planet Earth ... it's not like there is any demand for this, or it would have happened already with the billion channels that are out there now. So, either you're trying to be funny, or you have a really terrible concept of what would be a "sure" way to "boost ratings".

On very rare occasions, TCM does show some TV stuff, but it tends to be filmed play performances: Shirley Booth in The Glass Menagerie, Dustin Hoffman in Death of a Salesman, Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd. Also, they once devoted a night to episodes of Screen Director's Playhouse. I vaguely recall they padded out Grace Kelly's SOTM turn with some TV stuff, since she made so few movies, and I think they have shown whatever TV stuff James Dean did. And there are the Johnny Carson clips, but those are always of him interviewing film stars, so those are tied in to the network's movie concept. I can't recall TCM ever showing episodes of TV comedies. That would be a radical departure, one I wouldn't care for, and as noted above, there are plenty of other venues for that sort of thing.  

If I remember correctly, TCM execs don't actually check the ratings of which movies are shown because they don't air commercials for non-TCM related products and they're devoted to airing obscure movies too. 

More than one person has posted a quote on these boards from TCM programming director Charlie Tabesh saying the network pays zero attention to ratings. I don't know if that's really true. I think TCM is very committed to 31 Days of Oscar, for example, which, from what I've read, maybe as much as doubles TCM's viewership from what it is any other time of the year. But what you say is valid. Nipkow rambling about ratings as if that has any importance to TCM probably doesn't hold much water. Definitely his suggestion for what would improve ratings doesn't! I could suggest TCM show the Star Wars trilogy every night, and I think that would get much better ratings than a 70s Honeymooners revival.

24 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

More than one person has posted a quote on these boards from TCM programming director Charlie Tabesh saying the network pays zero attention to ratings. I don't know if that's really true. I think TCM is very committed to 31 Days of Oscar, for example, which, from what I've read, maybe as much as doubles TCM's viewership from what it is any other time of the year.

That's an interesting point about ratings - to what degree do they matter to a channel that doesn't depend on advertising revenue? I suspect that despite that independence, ratings are still a factor in the amount that TCM can charge to cable/sat/Sling providers to carry their programming, which is probably why 31 Days remains important to them.

13 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I don't have a problem with TCM showing documentaries, (I don't even mind the occasional interview with an actor or actress), but I do draw the line with TV specials and shows.....there is TV LAND and METV for that kind of stuff.

I look forward to the documentaries/interviews - aside from being a change of pace, the film-related ones are a great way to illustrate the story & process of film-making. I also enjoy the Saturday serials, which being originally cinematically presented, stay in-character for the channel. Made for TV stuff is acceptable, when part of a spotlight theme, but I wouldn't want to dilute the current coverage for regular TV originated programming (with the possible exception of CG's suggestion of Thunderbirds, or anything else from the FAB world of the Andersons).

On 1/5/2018 at 6:07 PM, sagebrush said:

I would love to see classic TV specials on TCM, such as Fred Astaire's four variety specials with Barrie Chase, or Mitzi Gaynor's specials, or Bing Crosby's specials, etc.

Of all his female dancing companions, I would pick Barrie Chase as the best. She was also so great in IAMMW with Dick Shawn.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Of all his female dancing companions, I would pick Barrie Chase as the best. She was also so great in IAMMW with Dick Shawn.

She was great, wasn't she? They made a great team despite of their age differences, probably because they both gave their dancing a character and personality. My favorite of their duets is the routine they performed to the song "Night Train." Very funny ending!

I loved her in IAMMMW, too. She was also good in Cape Fear.

Ahem, excuse me here you two, BUT I gotta say it's driving ME "mad" that NEITHER of you have put enough "M"s in your acronyms for that '63 star-studded comedy flick!!!

There should be FOUR of 'em!

(...and no, this really wasn't driving me mad...I just couldn't resist posting this, that's all ;) ...and btw, yeah, Barrie Chase was not only a great dancer, but she sure was hot lookin' TOO...still though I'd go for Cyd as Fred's best dance partner after Ginger)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Ahem, excuse me here you two, BUT I gotta say it's driving ME "mad" that NEITHER of you have put enough "M"s in your acronyms for that '63 comedy flick!!!

There's should be FOUR of 'em!

(...and no, this really wasn't driving me mad...I just couldn't resist posting this, that's all ;) ...and btw, yeah, Barrie Chase was not only a great dancer, but she sure was hot lookin' TOO...still though I'd go for Cyd as Fred's best dance partner after Ginger)

The first time I ever saw Fred Astaire, I think I was in kindergarten, and my father was watching An Evening with Fred Astaire on TV. 

I remember thinking --I wonder what that old man is doing dancing with that teenage girl? Fred must have been close to 60 and Barrie Chase, I'm guessing, was in her early twenties with that big impressive ponytail. LOL

A lot of people say that Rita Hayworth was his best partner-- her dad was a professional dancer and he trained her well. He also had trained Fred Astaire in Latin dancing.

But looking at Fred Astaire dance with Cyd just says it all for me. He seemed to really enjoy dancing with her the most and was extremely comfortable with her high level of ballet training. Her Jazz was also Exquisite, since Gene Kelly had taught her that.

For fun, I would like to make a list of the women that he disliked dancing with the most-- but I guess that wouldn't be very nice.LOL

• Like 2
On 1/5/2018 at 3:07 PM, sagebrush said:

On 1/5/2018 at 6:12 PM, LawrenceA said:

I along with LawrenceA can't remember which of those "free" channels is showing specials but, I can vouch for the fact that they do air them. As a matter of fact, they have shown Mitzi Gaynor specials. I believe one was a Christmas special. I saw most of one. I hope they expand and show more specials in general, I just love to see the talent.

And let TCM be what it is. I would think we would want TCM to be "more focused on the good movies we all love. Rather try to be all things to all people.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ahem, excuse me here you two, BUT I gotta say it's driving ME "mad" that NEITHER of you have put enough "M"s in your acronyms for that '63 star-studded comedy flick!!!

There should be FOUR of 'em!

Darn it! I almost put four M's in there, but was sure that was wrong!

• Like 1