Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Paramount Network Jan 18.

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Does this mean they will be airing classic Paramount films that TCM doesn't show?

Excerpt..

While execs want viewers to know it’s not a movie channel, they’ll draw from the heritage of Paramount Pictures for a halo effect, using cinematic tools of the trade for the net’s promotion, complete with fonts and camera angles familiar to film buffs.

http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/how-viacom-plans-to-rebrand-spike-as-paramount-network/

2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Excerpt..

While execs want viewers to know it’s not a movie channel, they’ll draw from the heritage of Paramount Pictures for a halo effect, using cinematic tools of the trade for the net’s promotion, complete with fonts and camera angles familiar to film buffs.

http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/how-viacom-plans-to-rebrand-spike-as-paramount-network/

I have no idea what that means. Sounds like P.R. mumbo jumbo.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Does this mean they will be airing classic Paramount films that TCM doesn't show?

That's what UPN SAID it was going to do twenty years ago, before it became better known for "Homeboys From Outer Space". (And "Voyager", because every new Paramount network has to sell itself with a Star Trek series, but CBS has that all wrapped up at the moment.)  And then became CW, after their network went out of business too.

Still, nice to see Spike finally bite the dust, which pretty well symbolized the Decline of Cable back in the early 00's, when it cluelessly tried to find a more demographic "guy" concept than The Nashville Network:

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I have no idea what that means. Sounds like P.R. mumbo jumbo.

It means more original productions they can market, because Paramount can't make money showing "Grease" on TV.  IOW, not Paramount Classic Movies.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would suggest clicking on the second link provided by hamradio to see samples of the fare the Paramount network intends to show. Several new scripted series and I think a continuation of several reality and contest shows that were already airing on Spike. 

Spike was indeed marketed as "guy TV", and while that briefly intrigued me when it first came on, and I was a bit younger, I hadn't watched it with any regularity in a long time.

35 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I would suggest clicking on the second link provided by hamradio to see samples of the fare the Paramount network intends to show. Several new scripted series and I think a continuation of several reality and contest shows that were already airing on Spike. 

Spike was indeed marketed as "guy TV", and while that briefly intrigued me when it first came on, and I was a bit younger, I hadn't watched it with any regularity in a long time.

The big thing when it started out was two "edgy" cartoons, "Stan Lee's 'Stripperella'", and "Gary the Rat".  Oh, and the WWE, before they had their big breakup with the network, and started airing Ultimate-Fight UFC instead.  Then when all of cable turned Reality Shows, since that was cheap to produce, we got "guy" reality with InkMaster.

Nowadays, cable has gotten away from reality, and now cowers under HBO's mighty "Game of Thrones" shadow--Which means every network not only still has to have their "own" shows to market as a brand-war weapon, they have to Out-Bold, Out-Binge and Out-Budget each other for Envelope-Pushing Entertainment.  And you can't be "Important" if you crack a smile.

Which is why TV isn't any fun anymore, and we all go back to our disks of Grease, Top Gun and Ferris Beuller.

I gotta say, I like studios calling their channels by the studio name. Certainly makes it easier to discern what classic movies may be broadcast by them. Hopefully the US will grow up and discard the childish nickname monikers.

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

Excerpt..

Perfect gig for Sugarland's Bush Brothers.  It isn't a movie channel without that.

16 hours ago, hamradio said:

Excerpt..

Huh!

Okay, now this bit of news is reminding me of a scene in one of the Hope and Crosby road pictures, and where Hope looks up and sees a snow-capped mountain peak in the distance which looks a lot like the Paramount Pictures logo and says something to Crosby like, "There's our bread and butter".

Anybody remember this, and which of the road pictures this is in?

An autographed 8X10 glossy of Dorothy Lamour in a sarong to the first person who can tell me the answer to this!

(...naaaah, not really...but for the life of me, I can't remember which one of those movies this happens in and I'd really like to know)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Okay, now this bit of news is reminding me of a scene in one of the Hope and Crosby road pictures, and where Hope looks up and sees a snow-capped mountain peak in the distance which looks a lot like the Paramount Pictures logo and says something to Crosby like, "There's our bread and butter".

Anybody remember this, and which of the road pictures this is in?

Since they're in a Klondike dogsled talking about gold-mine mountains, I'm guessing that's "Road to Utopia".

22 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Since they're in a Klondike dogsled talking about gold-mine mountains, I'm guessing that's "Road to Utopia".

Yeah, I was kind'a thinking the same here, Eric.

Makes sense, doesn't it.

(...thanks)

Since  Paramount sold off it's pre-1948 film library to MCA way back when and those are now owned by Universal, I wouldn't hold my breath that the Paramount Channel is going to be showing many of them.  

On 1/5/2018 at 2:21 AM, hamradio said:

I'm with TB on this one. This is so much corporate-speak claptrap. You are not going to see Martin and Lewis on this channel, and if a Paramount film does pop up it will be considered a moldy oldie if it was made before 2000.

31 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I'm with TB on this one. This is so much corporate-speak claptrap. You are not going to see Martin and Lewis on this channel, and if a Paramount film does pop up it will be considered a moldy oldie if it was made before 2000.

UPN promised "Movies from its Paramount library" the last time it started up its own network.  A few months later, we found out that meant "A Night at the Roxbury at 2am Saturday on affiliate UHF stations".

(WSBK-38 Boston used to be the home of the Movie Loft, for the 60's-70's and recent classics, before becoming UPN and then later abandoned for MeTV.  The station tried to bring back the Movie Loft, but now with two "guy" slob-slacker hosts introducing Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell comedies....'Cause, y'know, it's guys who watch late-night movies!  :rolleyes: )

• Like 1