Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Golden Globes tonight, & host Seth Meyers...

sexual harassment of women in hollywood is just supposed to stop merely because a group of narcissistic statuette-worshipping celebs are mouthing politically correct statements on a TV awards show????????

Related image

28 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I saw it. Tommy Wiseau was about to speak when the Disaster Artist won and they yanked the microphone out of his hands. I think that was pretty mean.

yeah. I guess Franco is STILL a jerk :(-_-

see: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/james-franco-tommy-wiseau-from-finally-getting-his-golden-globes_us_5a52d2b9e4b003133ec94e8e?ir=Entertainment&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

• Like 1
5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Normally, I like watching the award shows because I like seeing what everyone is wearing and hearing about films; but I've read that the stars (mainly the women) are planning on wearing black as a form of protest.  I am tired of the award shows being so politicized.  I wish we could just focus on the awards and leave Trump & co. out of it for once.  Last year's Golden Globes were almost unwatchable because it seemed like every single speech was a rant against the government (and don't get me wrong, I am no fan of the current administration either), but I just want to hear about movies and television.  I don't want to hear celebrity after celebrity getting up on their soapbox to rant against something. Nowadays, you cannot even get your mail without being bombarded with politics. Movies are my form of escape from politics.

In light of the sure to be volatile politic-laden award show, I am planning on watching the Gloria Grahame double feature on TCM. 

I get what you're saying.  Sometimes I want relief from all the political ****, too, and politics and history are usually of much interest to me.  Sometimes I need to step away a bit for my own mental health sake and partake of my other interests like classic film.  But the wearing black thing was about the "Me Too" movement and supporting women and not specifically about the current administration.  I watched the Globes.  I don't know how I missed James Franco winning but I did some recording/channel flipping so I could listen to the discussion about Gloria Grahame.  Seth said he wasn't going to do Trump jokes and he pretty much stuck to that.  Oprah did give a good speech.  Even though dresses were black, there was a great variety in designs.

12 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Even though dresses were black, there was a great variety in designs.

I saw one shot of the crowd and someone in the front section was wearing a purple dress, but I didn't see who it was. I was wondering if they got some shade from the other ladies present.

My pick for look of the evening was Frances McDormand: dark blue, very plain ensemble, no makeup, no hairstyle, cropped short and messy. That made as much of a statement as the black dresses. And her husband Joel Coen looking appropriately miserable. The Coen brothers are among my favorite filmmakers of all time, but they always look miserable. It's part of their charm.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Can you imagine what kind of insane nonsense Tommy Wiseau would have spouted, though? Maybe Franco saved us all.

7bbd37d24dfb103aef70da9feba9377163226a9a

While I agree that Wiseau is definitely very odd, the movie was about him and his work and he worked very hard to get there tonight. I think he had every right to speak even if whatever he said was a little :wacko: .

7 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

While I agree that Wiseau is definitely very odd, the movie was about him and his work and he worked very hard to get there tonight. I think he had every right to speak even if whatever he said was a little :wacko: .

I'm not sure about that. For one, Tommy Wiseau wasn't up for any awards, nor any movie he worked on. The Disaster Artist was made by James Franco, based on the book by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell. I thought it was cool of Franco and the film's producers to get Tommy an invite to the show, and to even call him up on stage, when neither one was expected. But I also have seen a lot of interviews with Tommy Wiseau, and read a lot about him, and if he'd gotten a hold of that microphone, I'm not sure they would have gotten it back. Granted, it would have been entertaining, in a car-crash kind of way, but I'm not upset or annoyed that he didn't get to ramble. I'm sure he did plenty of that backstage with the press later on. And sales of The Room must be through the roof, relatively speaking, so Tommy doesn't have anything to complain about. 

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I saw one shot of the crowd and someone in the front section was wearing a purple dress, but I didn't see who it was. I was wondering if they got some shade from the other ladies present.

My pick for look of the evening was Frances McDormand: dark blue, very plain ensemble, no makeup, no hairstyle, cropped short and messy. That made as much of a statement as the black dresses. And her husband Joel Coen looking appropriately miserable. The Coen brothers are among my favorite filmmakers of all time, but they always look miserable. It's part of their charm.

Yes, Frances always does her own thing.  I'll give her credit for that.  I don't think I've ever seen her "Hollywood-glammed" up.  

9 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

sexual harassment of women in hollywood is just supposed to stop merely because a group of narcissistic statuette-worshipping celebs are mouthing politically correct statements on a TV awards show????????

Related image

The effort has got to start somewhere. Millions and millions of people were watching. I think all the social media posts have probably gone a LONG way to making men who are prone to that sort of behavior to seriously reconsidering what actions they take in the future.

15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought it was cool of Franco and the film's producers to get Tommy an invite to the show, and to even call him up on stage, when neither one was expected. But I also have seen a lot of interviews with Tommy Wiseau, and read a lot about him, and if he'd gotten a hold of that microphone, I'm not sure they would have gotten it back. 

You have the proverbial No Idea.  :huh:

On that point, I was just waiting for a spence or Nipkow thread to usher Franco's "Yeah, whatever, Tom..." moment into metaphorical Internet Meme-Gif immortality:

7c5b1c51af72b50be85638aa325131dc7e1e91b0

Too bad we all had to start discussing it literally.

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Not having seen any of the films up for an award, nor really caring who's wearing who I passed watching it this year.

And once again, as every year, I have to post the history lesson of how back in the 90's, nobody CARED about the Golden Globes, except to laugh Ted Turner off the screen for airing them instead of the Oscars he wanted.  :lol:  He would.

And that we only pay worshipful attention to them nowadays because we can't think of any Oscar nominations either, and hope someone will tell us.  Even though the Globes--awarded by Hollywood press-junket reporters--represent the sort of people who would want to give "The Greatest Showman" a Best Picture nomination six months before we got an actual look at the darn mess...IOW, gullible star-sycophantic idiots who believe every studio rumor they hear.

On 1/7/2018 at 8:48 PM, mr6666 said:

NBC NewsVerified account @NBCNews 10m10 minutes ago

Kirk Douglas, age 101, receives a standing ovation at the #GoldenGlobesGoldenGlobes2018.png. http://nbcnews.com/globes 

DS_Ei0dXkAEDhNF.jpg

I didn't watch this program, but I've noticed on social media that there's some kind of an outpouring against Kirk Douglas being honored during an awards program which is dedicated to stopping sexual harassment.

A Number of posts on social media are discussing whether or not Kirk Douglas infamously raped Natalie Wood.

I first heard  about the rape about 10 years ago when I was reading Tab Hunter's autobiography.  He started discussing it and I had the impression that he knew who it was. And that a number of people in Hollywood knew all about it, as well.

Has anybody else heard more information about these long-time allegations?

I missed this show but a friend said he kept wondering how many men in the audience were wondering if their ticket was coming up next with abuse charges. I see there is now something out there about Michael Douglas. Who will be left standing with no accusations one wonders...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

I missed this show but a friend said he kept wondering how many men in the audience were wondering if their ticket was coming up next with abuse charges. I see there is now something out there about Michael Douglas. Who will be left standing with no accusations one wonders...

I think it's nice that people apologize after it's found out that they have been involved in sexually harassing someone. But I can't help but believe that these apologies, for the most part, are shallow. They don't have any choice but to apologize, and hope that they don't lose their position or fan base. However, if they were really sorry about what they did, then they wouldn't continue doing it. 

It seems that the longer some of these people go on sexually harassing others, the more bold they become--not really expecting to ever get found out.