Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Excellent series of new film books devoted to classic stars

filmlover

I came an excellent series of film books at the Arclight Cinemas a few days ago, and also at Samuel French Bookshop.

They seem to be a series of 17 different softcover books, each about 200 pages, and the individual titles focus on Humphrey Bogart, Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo, Charlie Chaplin, Katherine Hepburn, The Marx Brothers, Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, James Dean, Orson Welles, Marilyn Monroe, Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen, Ingrid Bergman, Marlon Brando, and Audrey Hepburn.

The series, called Movie Icons, is published by Taschen, all books are copyright 2007, and printed in Italy. Each has the text in English, German, and French. They are mostly photo books, with each having somewhere between 150-200 pictures, I imagine, and all on good quality paper. While there are a number of pictures I have seen over the years in them, there are a lot of pictures in color and b&w I haven't, which was a nice surprise.

They retail for $9.99 but Arclight in Hollywood was having a year-end clearance of 50% off on almost everything so I got ten for $5 each. You can get them on Amazon.

Here are two pictures I haven't seen before from the Bogart book (the quality is much, much better than my scanner has reproduced here):

1234.jpg

12345.jpg

Hi Filmlover,

Thanks so much for your overview of this series. Our recent visitor at the Silver Screen Oasis, Scott Eyman, is the author of the Ingrid Bergman book in the Taschen series, and it's beautifully written. I saw the photo of Humphrey Bogart on the bike peddling around Warner Brothers reproduced in Vanity Fair within the last year. You're right, it's startling in the detailed vitality and immediacy it presents the viewer with in its clearest version. I almost expected Bogart to start talking! I'm glad to hear that the series is so moderately priced too, since the best movie books now seem to start around $25 new.

Thanks for the info! I love to read books on movie stars, the movie studios etc!

There is a brand new Joan Crawford bio coming February 5, 2008!

It's called: Not the Girl Next Door: Joan Crawford, a Personal Biography (Hardcover)

by Charlotte Chandler!

I just pre-ordered it form Amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings