Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE HUNGARIAN AND THE METHOD ACTOR

Bronxgirl48

So I'm surfing the Web last night and am updating some Lugosi information. I came upon this tidbit:

According to his son, Bela Jr., his father's favorite actor was Marlon Brando.

"I coulda been a contender, instead of a vampire, which is what I am, let's face it."

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

So I'm surfing the Web last night and am updating some Lugosi information. I came upon this tidbit:

According to his son, Bela Jr., his father's favorite actor was Marlon Brando.

"I coulda been a contender, instead of a vampire, which is what I am, let's face it."

Don' ya unnerstan', Charlie? I coulda had a cape; I coulda had fangs. I coulda been some bloody.

Lugosi's stagework in Europe coincided with the ascent of the Stanislavski method. Two of Stanislavski's disciples were Maria Ouspenskaya and Joseph Buloff. Lugosi worked with Ouspenskaya at Universal (she was his mother in THE WOLF MAN) and with Buloff in NINOTCHKA at MGM. Coicidentally, these films feature two of Lugosi's best and understated performances.

I should also tell everyone that I remember in an old Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, editor Forry Ackerman printed a rare 1933 publicity sheet where actors listed personal information, and Lugosi filled his out. Under favorite actors, he whimsically put "Mickey Mouse".

I believe Robert Cremer, in his Lugosi bio The Man Behind The Cape, included that photo.

I used to own a copy of that book. I vaguely recall it in there. He might have gotten it from FJA's still collection.

Since Maria Ouspenskaya is mentioned here,I'll pass on a somewhat tasteless "gallows humor" anecdote about her death. Supposedly a degenerate smoker,who smoked 3 or more packs a day, she would literally light a cigarette before going into the water at the beach,keeping it in her mouth.

She died from burn wounds she obtained when she fell asleep while smoking,setting the whole place up. Now I don't know who the insider was who made this statement,but it's a beaut.

"She went down in a blaze of Luckies"

• 11 months later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings