• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dirty Harry vs. Bullitt

14 minutes ago, umop apisdn said:

Turn your head upside down. :P 

LOL

Aah...CLEVER! I like it!

And now just one more question here: Did you think this one up(side down or not) yourself, or is this just the first time I might have ever run across someone using it?

(...actually, I suppose that's TWO questions here, huh) ;)

On 1/14/2018 at 9:14 PM, NipkowDisc said:

we see that brand of appeasement and capitulation from liberals and democrats all to often in the real world usually at the jeopardy of innocent lives.

clint eastwood and don seigel understood that.:)

You just can't limit your right wing rants to the off-topic threads, can you?  :(

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Aah...CLEVER! I like it!

And now just one more question here: Did you think this one up(side down or not) yourself, or is this just the first time I've ever come across someone using it?

(...actually, I suppose that's TWO questions here, huh) ;)

I've used it on other sites, and there is some weirdo (not me) using the same name on reddit.

I have not seen the movies that came after Dirty Harry, are they worth a watch?

Well, I've always liked Magnum Force a bit, and for two reasons:

One, because it's got motorcycles in it. I LOVE motorcycles, ya know.

And two, because this is the Dirty Harry flick where Clint says those immortal words, "A man's got'a know his limitations". Back in the day I used to say that ALL the time.

(...it's really pretty profound, wouldn't ya say?!) 

;)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Dargo said:

And two, because this is the Dirty Harry flick where Clint says those immortal words, "A man's got'a know his limitations". Back in the day I used to say that ALL the time.

;)

Speaking of your motorcycle addiction, Dargo...how do you feel about the Jack Cardiff directed film, "The Girl on a Motorcycle? It has Marianne Faithfull, whose singing I know you dig and of course French pretty boy, Alain Delon. It's a pretty hip flick and is showing up in a lot of film catalogues I've been getting in the mail. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

I have to confess, as much as I like DIRTY HARRY, I liked MAGNUM FORCE a bit more, because the movie does demonstrate the difference between Harry and the vigilante cops he was going up against. 

The cops had no problem with taking out any kind of collateral damage (people at the wrong place at the wrong time) to get at their target, that was where Harry drew the line. Sure he broke the rules a lot but he wasn't willing to take out a bunch of innocents just to get his guy.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I have to confess, as much as I like DIRTY HARRY, I liked MAGNUM FORCE a bit more, because the movie does demonstrate the difference between Harry and the vigilante cops he was going up against. 

The cops had no problem with taking out any kind of collateral damage (people at the wrong place at the wrong time) to get at their target, that was where Harry drew the line. Sure he broke the rules a lot but he wasn't willing to take out a bunch of innocents just to get his guy.

Magnum Force was meant to be an answer to critics who accused the first film of being fascist and/or celebrating vigilantism. An interesting anecdote is that the concept for this movie was from a draft of the first film's script by then-unknown filmmaker Terrence Malick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Magnum Force was meant to be an answer to critics who accused the first film of being fascist and/or celebrating vigilantism. An interesting anecdote is that the concept for this movie was from a draft of the first film's script by then-unknown filmmaker Terrence Malick.

I still think "Badlands" by Malick is one of the great movies of all time. For vigilantism, wouldn't "Death Wish" be in the running also?

7 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Speaking of your motorcycle addiction, Dargo...how do you feel about the Jack Cardiff directed film, "The Girl on a Motorcycle? It has Marianne Faithfull, whose singing I know you dig and of course French pretty boy, Alain Delon. It's a pretty hip flick and is showing up in a lot of film catalogues I've been getting in the mail. 

Oh yeah, The Girl on a Motorcycle. Watched that one years ago, CG. Frankly, there's really only three things I remember much about it.

One, that she rode around on a nice full-dressed mid-'60s Harley FL model.

Two, that that French pretty boy you mentioned and who she hung around with in the movie for a while, rode a nice mid-'60s Norton Atlas model.

And three would be that at the end of that flick while riding said Harley, (this is probably where I should say SPOILER ALERT here) she began to o r g a s m while thinking of the great sex she had had previously with said French pretty boy, AND perhaps possibly partially induced further by the vibrations emitted from her Harley's engine she sat upon, became distracted due to said o r g a s m, closed her eyes and crashed right into a car on some French motorway, killing her.

(...oh yeah, and there IS a fourth thing I remember about this movie...you get to see Marianne's breasts for a few seconds while she's having sex with said French pretty boy...sorry, I almost forgot that one)

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And three would be that at the end of that flick while riding said Harley, (this is probably where I should say SPOILER ALERT here) she began to o r g a s m while thinking of the great sex she had had previously with said French pretty boy, AND perhaps possibly partially induced further by the vibrations emitted from her Harley's engine she sat upon, became distracted due to said o r g a s m, closed her eyes and crashed right into a car on some French motorway, killing her.

;)

See?  Sex is bad.

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Not just any vigilantism, the right vigilantism.

12 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

See?  Sex is bad.

OR, as that old joke goes:

"They say sex over 60 is good for your health. However, it's much safer to pull over and park first."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 1/16/2018 at 12:03 AM, umop apisdn said:

I've used it on other sites, and there is some weirdo (not me) using the same name on reddit.

I have not seen the movies that came after Dirty Harry, are they worth a watch?

I have seen all the Dirty Harry sequels and they are all inferior to the great original. Here is what I think of each one-

Magnum Force- probably the best of sequels, mostly for it's supporting cast- Hal Holbrook as Harry's lieutenant and Felton Perry as his new partner. There is whole group of soon to famous TV stars (David Soul,Tim Matheson, Robert Urich) as  a bunch of motorcycle cops. The film is overlong though and tries to "soften" the tough lead character a bit.

The Enforcer- this has some good action, the supermarket robbery is a highlight. Harry gets a female partner this time, played by Tyne Daly. The villains are a uninteresting bunch, though, not much personality, just seem to be an excuse for Harry to have a big body count.

Sudden Impact- Eastwood directed this one but I actually like this one the least. it's nasty and sleazy, with some poor attempts at humor. Sondra Locke is a good actress but is miscast as the female vigilante. The villains are disgusting and inhuman.

The Dead Pool- OK finale with more humor than usual, some works, some doesn't. Jim Carrey as a small role as a heavy metal singer and Liam Neesen is a death obsessed movie director. The best part is a parody of the "Bulitt" car chase.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The Enforcer- this has some good action, the supermarket robbery is a highlight. Harry gets a female partner this time, played by Tyne Daly. The villains are a uninteresting bunch, though, not much personality, just seem to be an excuse for Harry to have a big body count.

Sudden Impact- Eastwood directed this one but I actually like this one the least. it's nasty and sleazy, with some poor attempts at humor. Sondra Locke is a good actress but is miscast as the female vigilante. The villains are disgusting and inhuman.

The Dead Pool- OK finale with more humor than usual, some works, some doesn't. Jim Carrey as a small role as a heavy metal singer and Liam Neesen is a death obsessed movie director. The best part is a parody of the "Bulitt" car chase.

These later Dirty Harry films were all from scripts that were originally written as unrelated, non-Dirty Harry thrillers. They were rewritten to make Harry the protagonist, sometimes awkwardly, as in Sudden Impact. That one started out as a showcase for Sondra Locke, a kind of Ms. 45 meets Death Wish, but Eastwood decided to make it a Harry movie after all, and had the script changed to make Harry the hero.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yeah, can't you see the Duke as Dirty Harry Callahan....

"Go ahead, pilgrim, make my day. That'll be the day!"

...and while his toupee flaps in the breeze on a windswept San Francisco day.

(...yeah, might have worked, I guess)

• Haha 1

The cop with a Magnum (or otherwise giant revolver) who operates by his own rules, kicked off by Dirty Harry,  became a huge '70s movie trend in the States and in the Italian Poliziotteschi (Maurizio Merli was like an Italian Harry) plus on TV (Hunter, Starsky & Hutch). Bullitt, while a great film, didn't have that kind of influence in cinema and TV.

Romaviolent.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jameselliot said:

The cop with a Magnum (or otherwise giant revolver) who operates by his own rules, kicked off by Dirty Harry,  became a huge '70s movie trend in the States and in the Italian Poliziotteschi (Maurizio Merli was like an Italian Harry) plus on TV (Hunter, Starsky & Hutch). Bullitt, while a great film, didn't have that kind of influence in cinema and TV.

So what's your point?  That vigilantism is good?  

4 hours ago, jameselliot said:

Actually, in a way, Bullitt did, jameselliot.

At least in regard to the concept of the car chase sequence in films anyway, as while of course there had been car chases in films before Bullitt, whenever this topic is brought up, Bullitt's car chase scene is often called "the granddaddy" of them all. And, since its release, it seems many more car chase sequences have been in films. In fact, many films that have had them since, seem to often be compared to the one in the McQueen film.

However, because there would never be any sequels to the McQueen movie in which the Frank Bullitt character would be revived or expanded upon by McQueen or any other actor, and as compared to the whole Dirty Harry series of films, I wonder if this might explain why your "influence" thought would probably be true overall.

(...yep, I always thought Bullitt deserved at least one sequel...too bad it never happened)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Actually, in a way, Bullitt did, jameselliot.

At least in regard to the concept of the car chase sequence in films anyway, as while of course there had been car chases in films before Bullitt, whenever this topic is brought up, Bullitt's car chase scene is often called "the granddaddy" of them all. And, since its release, it seems many more car chase sequences have been in films. In fact, many films that have had them since, seem to often be compared to the one in the McQueen film.

However, because there would never be any sequels to the McQueen movie in which the Frank Bullitt character would be revived or expanded upon by McQueen or any other actor, and as compared to the whole Dirty Harry series of films, I wonder if this might explain why your "influence" thought would probably be true overall.

(...yep, I always thought Bullitt deserved at least one sequel...too bad it never happened)

I think it had something to do with the original back-story in the Trustman and Kleiner script, and those scenes that McQueen so incessantly urged Yates and D'Antoni to delete from the final cut. 
As I recall they wanted to make a sequel, but insisted that this time they were going to thoroughly explore that backstory so strategically omitted from the first release. That killed it for McQueen as at that time he most definitely wanted nothing to do with any onscreen project that had the potential to detract from his carefully cultivated image as "The King of Cool." 
I posted about it in that other thread, remember? B)

• Like 1