Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heads up! Safe in Hell (1931) on tomorrow, early.

Aaa!  I shoulda marked this earlier.  One of the great early sound movies, sorely overlooked, and one that definitely, surely, doesn't pull its punches.  One big sock in the gut--and it's magnificent.  Is it Dorothy Mackaill's best performance?  Well. . . ., yeah, I think so.  One helluva tour de force direction by William Wellman, and he puts it all in the service of Ms. Mackaill.  She musta been his kinda woman.  Keep an eye out for Nina Mae McKinney.  Damn! it knocks you over how some people can do so much with just a few moments of screen time, while others with big, big names were nothing more than cardboard.  The story?  Yeah there's a story.  Watch the movie and find out.  I'll tell you this, it's part of what looks like a daylong TCM salute to prostitutes in movies, in none of which, I believe, is that word ever spoken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice line up of films but I wish TCM also showed Marked Women the Bette Davis \ Bogart film.   While prostitute isn't used in the film it is clear what the gals,  who are called hostesses in the film,   do for a living.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TheCid said:

It helps when the title shows a date rather than "tomorrow."  For info, this is now an obsolete title as tomorrow was 6:00 AM Jan 22.

I know that this may not be useful for you, Cid, but perhaps for others who belatedly catch this thread.
So for those interested who didn't stay up late or wake up early enough, or forgot to set their DVR's
As of now Monday (1/22/2018) Safe In Hell (1931), Millie (1931), & Anna Christie (1930) (English version) with Greta Garbo, Charles Bickford, & Marie Dressler, are all listed as available for seven days of repeat viewing from TCM ON-DEMAND.
I'd not seen the first two before, but consider them a must-see for anyone interested in this precode genre, along with either version (German or English) of the very excellent Anna Christie with Garbo. Others may follow today so keep checking back if the ON-DEMAND service is an additional option for you.
Presently, I am not having any issues with TCM ON-DEMAND using my PC, however with TCM all that could change in a heartbeat, so catch these precoder's while you can!

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

I know that this may not be useful for you, Cid, but perhaps for others who belatedly catch this thread.
So for those interested who didn't stay up late or wake up early enough, or forgot to set their DVR's
As of now Monday (1/22/2018) Safe In Hell (1931), Millie (1931), & Anna Christie (1930) (English version) with Greta Garbo, Charles Bickford, & Marie Dressler, are all listed as available for seven days of repeat viewing from TCM ON-DEMAND.
I'd not seen the first two before, but consider them a must-see for anyone interested in this precode genre, along with either version (German or English) of the very excellent Anna Christie with Garbo. Others may follow today so keep checking back if the ON-DEMAND service is an additional option for you.
Presently, I am not having any issues with TCM ON-DEMAND using my PC, however with TCM all that could change in a heartbeat, so catch these precoder's while you can!

Never used TCM On Demand on website as I would have to create yet another website account.  Guess I will have to at some point.

I love the hard-hitting "Wild Bill" Wellman precodes like WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD, PUBLIC ENEMY and the total awesomeness of SAFE IN HELL.  Dorothy Mackaill is just terrific in it.  Nice support from Nina Mae McKinney and Clarence Muse, too, in non-stereotypical roles (she runs the hotel and he does everything else at the hotel with dignity).  I knew I had seen Cecil Cunningham somewhere else so I looked it up - she's in THE AWFUL TRUTH.

Had never heard of Dorothy Mackaill or SAFE IN HELL but decided to DVR coz of the date: I figured it was a pre-code from that and from the description provided of the plot.

It was everything the other posters have said. I loved it. The cinematography by Sid Hickox is magnificent. I'm really glad I watched it. 

• Like 2

I was SO surprised by the rape, lechery and general ugliness that Mackaill had to face. It was very Bold, even for a pre-code. And that ending, her sacrifice...was tragic, understandable and so much a tribute to true love.

Mackaill also had a wonderful little lisp, I think I'd call it, that just made me hang on her every word. I was going to write about it in "I just watched" but then I found this thread.

That last camera shot Swithin posted was exactly the image I would have used to sum up this great film.

• Like 1