Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Brothers Rico

maryjmartin

Disappointingly average and a shame considering the director (Phil Karlson) and star (Richard Conte). Karlson was better served by films such as KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL and 99 RIVER STREET, both of which are far superior to BROTHERS RICO which suffers from the typical meager trappings accorded to lower budget films produced by Columbia during the 50s. Conte, although usually on his game regardless how lame the film might be, seems bored throughout. Watch it only if you're a diehard fan of this sort of thing.

It's been a while since I've seen it. However, I liked it. I haven't seen much Phil Karlson stuff. I wouldn't say "Phenix City Story" is better. The two have a different feel. "Phenix" is rural and semi-documentary, and "Brothers Rico" has more of a Fifties noir style. Perhaps things wrap up too quickly at the end.

I'd have to say that given a choice between "Brothers Rico" and "Underworld USA," I'd watch "Brothers Rico" again.

I believe Phil Karlson also directed Gunman's Walk which was done in color. I found a VHS copy on Amazon.com. It's not a bad western. I hope I get a chance to find out about Brothers Rico for myself. I've seen it listed at a few Film Noir festivals and have been hoping this will lead to a DVD release (I'm not holding my breath) and I don't think they'll have a film noir festival in my home town (I'm from Bangor, Maine). They probably won't in Portland either. I could make Boston and possible NYC if they have one there some day although NYC's an expensive trip to make to see a movie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings