Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vintage Celebrity Scandals--How Would They Fare Today?

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It's a shame that a book about such an interesting person, and especially being a personal assistant to said interesting person could result in flat writing! I'll have to see for myself whenever I pick it up at the library.

Hmmmm...now why on earth did I envision Bugs here in this scene when I read your reply to Eugenia I wonder, speedy???...

hqdefault.jpg

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It's a shame that a book about such an interesting person, and especially being a personal assistant to said interesting person could result in flat writing! I'll have to see for myself whenever I pick it up at the library.

Definitely.  That's only my opinion. 

Yeah.  Sex is another one.  How many times back in the "day" when my ex and I were "steadies" did I hear my then future Mother in law go on about how girls who went "all the way" would  go through life with a "reputation" and be social outcasts?  "Girls who wanted to be popular would NEVER behave that way." she'd prattle.  I inwardly laughed, thinking that girls who did  WERE the "popular" ones. ;)   At least as far as the GUYS were concerned.

Sepiatone (in response to an earlier Vautrin post)

One of the old jazz slang terms for smoking pot was "righteous". You'll often hear Louie Armstrong comment "righteous" after someone's solo, or even ask, "Are we all righteous tonight?" on recordings. Pot's been around forever. Look at Gloria Swanson in my avatar.

I agree, children's rights has finally come to a no tolerance state in society.... interracial marriage, premarital sex, children born out of wedlock and marijuana are coming along with "shifting morality". I will tell you I call Sunday "Rasta Day" because over 50% of the customers coming in my store have ganja breath. It's out of the closet like trans genders.

My heart just aches thinking of all the needless suffering other people's hang ups have caused. In movie star terms, Kim Novak & Sammy Davis Jr's relationship comes to mind. Amazing that was such a "scandal". Edited by TikiSoo
because the Raggae term s*k*a*n*k is prohibited
  • Like 2

Heh.  In another thread, I used a word that referred to the crust that forms on a cut when the blood coagulates. It's a four letter word that starts with an "s", and IT TOO got the "star" treatment.  I couldn't figure out how ANYBODY might get offended by it.

I'm guessing OTTO CENSOR smokes a little "rope" too? ;)

Sepiatone

On 1/27/2018 at 10:50 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Flynn would be finished by today's standards, it's wishful thinking to believe otherwise.

Elizabeth Taylor and Ingrid Bergman were both crucified for their indiscretions and in Bergman's case it caused her exile from Hollywood until the late 50's. Angelina Jolie in today's world, however, very few people actually cared that she walked off with Jennifer Aniston's hubby at the time Brad Pitt.

And also while Taylor and Bergman had to put up with the bad press back in studio era days, Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy escaped unscathered with their relationship despite the fact that Tracy never divorced his wife.

Morality has always been a fickle thing in Hollywood, no matter what era.

I read somewhere that Elizabeth Taylor is the forerunner of some of today's stars, doing whatever they wanted and consequences be damned!  She not only broke up the Fisher/ Reynolds marriage when Fisher consoled her after losing her husband, but then broke up her marriage to Fisher when she and Richard Burton started their affair.  And was partially responsible for the  break up of Burton's marriage.  She was condemned by women's groups and Congress, and even the Vatican.  She just brazened it out.  She established this pattern for future stars.  The controversies only made her a bigger star.

Ingred Bergman's career did suffer, since besides her adulterous affair, she had the child out of wedlock.  She was barred from returning to the U.S. for several years.  In the end, she was forgiven, and got her second Oscar soon after.  

The Katherine Hepburn/Spencer Tracy affair was not known by the general public back then, which is why neither party suffered backlash or career reversal over this.

Robert Mitchum's arrest and acceptance of jail time for smoking pot only strengthened the prevailing image of him, which in turn, enhanced his career after his release.

The whole Flynn statutory rape episode affected him personally, causing the beginning of his desolution through drinking and drugs.  He hated the term "In like Flynn" and similar ribbing.  While it didn't seriously affect his career, it did affect some of the roles he was supposed to do.  A prime example was THE CONSTANT NYMPH, where he gets involved with a young (underage?) girl.  Warner Brothers realized the distasteful appearance of having the originally scheduled Flynn and the much youngerJoan Leslie (underage?), as the trial was ongoing.  Other stars were assigned.

Re again- Bethluvsfilms said: Elizabeth Taylor and Ingrid Bergman were both crucified for their indiscretions and in Bergman's case it caused her exile from Hollywood until the late 50's. Angelina Jolie in today's world, however, very few people actually cared that she walked off with Jennifer Aniston's hubby at the time Brad Pitt. And also while Taylor and Bergman had to put up with the bad press back in studio era days, Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy escaped unscathered with their relationship despite the fact that Tracy never divorced his wife.

The real difference between these stories is not the act itself but more how "those of few morals" handled it. I find we have much more respect for those who are deft in the art of discretion...while those who flaunt their misdeeds without respect for anyone they may hurt in their wake, deserve their public skewering.

There is very little shame these days.
An example of junior clothing popular now....newest in hook o'wear: (https://www.charlotterusse.com/shoes/heels?xid=hpg_2_ticker_2_1&icid=HP-ticker-B) (https://www.charlotterusse.com/dresses/bachelorette-dresses)
8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Heh.  In another thread, I used a word that referred to the crust that forms on a cut when the blood coagulates. It's a four letter word that starts with an "s", and IT TOO got the "star" treatment.  I couldn't figure out how ANYBODY might get offended by it.

I'm guessing OTTO CENSOR smokes a little "rope" too? ;)

Sepiatone

I remember reading that & wondering what naughtiness you'd scribed. As for OTTO's censorsivity to the word - my guess would be for it's pejorative slang use in describing a strike-breaker.

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah.  Sex is another one.  How many times back in the "day" when my ex and I were "steadies" did I hear my then future Mother in law go on about how girls who went "all the way" would  go through life with a "reputation" and be social outcasts?  "Girls who wanted to be popular would NEVER behave that way." she'd prattle.  I inwardly laughed, thinking that girls who did  WERE the "popular" ones. ;)   At least as far as the GUYS were concerned.

Sepiatone (in response to an earlier Vautrin post)

Yeah. I always get a laugh out of that line from Marty--College girls, one step up

from the street, the implication being that those college girls would "give it away."

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, limey said:

I remember reading that & wondering what naughtiness you'd scribed. As for OTTO's censorsivity to the word - my guess would be for it's pejorative slang use in describing a strike-breaker.

That's what I mean.  I thought the idea was that the "auto censor" would "bleep" out words that were primarily ethnic slurs or other offensive profanities.  Not something innocuous as a word for coagulated blood that's been used for other purposes.  Now, THAT's just too touchy.

Sepiatone 

26 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

That's what I mean.  I thought the idea was that the "auto censor" would "bleep" out words that were primarily ethnic slurs or other offensive profanities.  Not something innocuous as a word for coagulated blood that's been used for other purposes.  Now, THAT's just too touchy.

Sepiatone 

The funny thing about censorship, is that it probably directs more attention to that which is shielded from delicate ears/eyes than if it had been left well alone. There's naughty bits in movies that I've only ever noticed when the image blurs, or the sound cuts out... 

• Like 2