Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The End of "TV"


Recommended Posts

A few moments ago I saw a post on Facebook by Tiffany Vazquez stating that her contract has not been renewed and the intros you saw today are her last. I've said it all before, so I will not repeat myself, but I think this decision is long overdue.  

Lydecker

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never a fan and think she was unqualified to be a host on national network, yet I think she was done a major disservice by TCM.  She clearly was not ready for this.  Having worked with and directed talent for 25+ years, I can tell you you can't just "work with" people to create charisma, charm or other undefinable characteristics.  Many times, you either have it or you don't.  We all know that from watching the stars in our favorite movies...

Maybe this was just a failed/noble experiment on the part of TCM to bring in one of the people who auditioned at one point, but please, TCM, do a real talent search and bring in someone with both on-air presence AND knowledge of movies.  After all, those people are just a phone call away, particularly in LA.  And personally, I don't believe that you need a "young person" to appeal to that demographic.  As long as the person has talent, people of any age will respond to them.

A woman would be great to round out a network that has been very male-centric, but I don't think it's a necessity.  Personally, I love Bob Mondello's reviews for NPR. He is an excellent writer and has a great voice.  Whether he is camera-friendly, I can't answer....

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

She doesn't bother me any.  Doesn't excite me as a host either.  Really, I don't tune in for the host of the movies presented.  Just the movies. I couldn't care less who stands in front of the camera and reads their commentary off of the teleprompter.  And it tickles me when folks here gripe about the HOST getting the information about some movie all wrong.  They're just reciting what was scripted for them, more often than not.

Sepiatone

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, overeasy said:

yet I think she was done a major disservice by TCM.  She clearly was not ready for this.  Having worked with and directed talent for 25+ years, I can tell you you can't just "work with" people to create charisma, charm or other undefinable characteristics. 

In college, I was a member of the college radio station, and read the news in morning drive one day a week.  That, where I didn't even have to worry about blocking or facial expressions or mannerisms, was hard.  I can imagine what reading a script on TV must be like.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

They’re bringing in Alicia Malone from Filmstruck. 

Here's a short video of her, for those interested. This is part of the "Closet Picks" videos from Criterion, where visitors get to pick a bag's worth of Criterion discs and discuss their choices.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Copy that.

And Fedya, I get ya!  I started in college radio and remember the nerves!  But this isn't college radio, it's the real world.  I don't wish Tiffany any ill will, but I will be happy if the next host is up to the task...

TCM owes that to both the host AND to their loyal viewers...

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Here's a short video of her, for those interested. This is part of the "Closet Picks" videos from Criterion, where visitors get to pick a bag's worth of Criterion discs and discuss their choices.

 

Well, she likes His Girl Friday, and anyone who loves His Girl Friday can't be all that bad.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I can't get TCM, I guess I'm not into the whole Tiff-Bashing thing. 

I just keep reading "The End of TV?" and thinking it's going to be a discussion on "Remember when watching TV was actually fun, back when we watched one episode a week, before Game of Thrones came along?  :( "

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I just keep reading "The End of TV?" and thinking it's going to be a discussion on "Remember when watching TV was actually fun, back when we watched one episode a week, before Game of Thrones came along?  :( "

I was thinking the exact same thing! My thoughts exactly EricJ.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lydecker said:

If she's talented, I could care less about her accent!

Really?  Well, I couldn't.  ;) 

I too, thought this thread might be about something else.  "The end of TV"?   Well, possibly the OP might have been referring to the possibility of networks and other stations no longer broadcasting over the air and thus meaning we'll all have to scrap our widescreens and flat panels for tablets and smartphones because all they'll do is "stream" to those type of devices and we'll no longer choose a channel, but rather an "app" .

ECHHH!

TV's changed enough for me.  Like, remember when a "season" was similar to a school "semester"?  Like a season would go from Sept. of one year and end in June of the next?  Much like automobile model years?  Now a "season" might last only a couple or so months.  Like DWTS one night a few years ago, had host TOM BERGERON  going on about it being their 14th season!  I was aghast!  I didn't know it was on THAT many years.  But, in looking it up, discovered it had only been on for SEVEN YEARS, and it struck me that they were considering each competition (usually lasting 10 weeks or so) to be a "season".

Other shows do this too. Only have "seasons" that last a few months or even just weeks.

Sepiatone

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

My! There sure is a lot of thinly veiled snark on here today! All joking aside, I think Tiffany has improved quite a bit since she made her debut on TCM. I will certainly miss her!

Oh, I wouldn't call in "thinly veiled"! It's outright snark! 

I, too, thought this thread had something to do with streaming services and binge watching, about which pretty much everything has already been said. I assumed the quote marks had something to do with our rapidly changing definition of what constitutes "TV" (what with Netflix shows getting Emmy wins and so forth).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Really?  Well, I couldn't.  ;) 

I too, thought this thread might be about something else.  "The end of TV"?   Well, possibly the OP might have been referring to the possibility of networks and other stations no longer broadcasting over the air and thus meaning we'll all have to scrap our widescreens and flat panels for tablets and smartphones because all they'll do is "stream" to those type of devices and we'll no longer choose a channel, but rather an "app" .

ECHHH!

TV's changed enough for me.  Like, remember when a "season" was similar to a school "semester"?  Like a season would go from Sept. of one year and end in June of the next?  Much like automobile model years?  Now a "season" might last only a couple or so months.  Like DWTS one night a few years ago, had host TOM BERGERON  going on about it being their 14th season!  I was aghast!  I didn't know it was on THAT many years.  But, in looking it up, discovered it had only been on for SEVEN YEARS, and it struck me that they were considering each competition (usually lasting 10 weeks or so) to be a "season".

Other shows do this too. Only have "seasons" that last a few months or even just weeks.

Sepiatone

Dancing with the Stars has actually been on TV in America for 13 years. I don't know if you're watching in a diferent country where it started much later.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That means their 26th "season" is upon us.  :o

I know they've been on that long.  I was just mentioning WHEN it was I learned they were doing that.  If you notice, under the "S" that's filling in for lack of an avatar under my screen name, it'll inform that I'm located in Lincoln Park, MI.  And as far as I know, Michigan IS still in America. ;)

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having said that, there's no reason anybody has to be honest about their location.

And Overeasy, the point I was trying to make is that just reading the news on the radio off a paper script is hard enough; doing what Tiffany and Ben and Bob and Eddie do with camera presence and knowing what to do with your arms and such is that much harder.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

My! There sure is a lot of thinly veiled snark on here today! All joking aside, I think Tiffany has improved quite a bit since she made her debut on TCM. I will certainly miss her!

I also think her graphics were some of the best on the network, so I'll miss that beautiful kaleidoscope of movie images.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

That means their 26th "season" is upon us.  :o

I know they've been on that long.  I was just mentioning WHEN it was I learned they were doing that.  If you notice, under the "S" that's filling in for lack of an avatar under my screen name, it'll inform that I'm located in Lincoln Park, MI.  And as far as I know, Michigan IS still in America. ;)

Sepiatone

Sorry, I clearly didn't read your post carefully enough!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, one only needs to look at the first post of "The End of TV" to know what it's about! I think we learned on these boards over the length of Tiffany V's aka "TV's" TCM career that any and all threads which dared to criticize her were immediately deleted by Moderators.  It seemed as though it was fine to critique any and all other folks who hosted (regularly or as guest hosts) on TCM but not TV. So, I guess I was simply avoiding saying the name of "The Person Who Shall Not Be Criticized In A Public Forum."  Personally, I just don't "get" why venturing an opinion is considered "snark." I have nothing against the woman personally (since I don't even know her) but, in my opinion, (and clearly now in TCM's opinion) Tiffany Vazquez was not qualified to be a host/commentator on a major cable network.  She had no "on camera presence," no depth of knowledge about film, classic or otherwise, and despite a couple of years of trying to "work with her," she was ultimately unsuccessful in this role. It sounds as though the next host (assuming it is Alicia Malone) has more experience and will have a better chance of success.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Someone is sure to complain about her Australian accent.  I can hear it now:  "Couldn't they have found somebody American?"  You can't please everyone.  :(

I did notice that and it really doesn't bother me.  However, it does seem that more people are being chosen for on screen jobs because they have a British/Australian accent.  Let's hope she will do a good job.

I am one of those who watch the movies and not the "hosts."  But I do watch Eddie Muller's intro and outro to the Sunday Noir movies.  Sometimes I will watch Ben Mankiewicz's, but usually fast forward if possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sad to find out that Tiffany is no longer hosting on TCM. She was a bit rough in the early going but quickly improved to a more natural delivery, resulting in introductions that were equal parts informative and enthusiastic. The new gal seems like she'll be a good replacement based on what I've seen of her, but Tiffany's passion and enthusiasm will be missed.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2018 at 9:04 AM, lydecker said:

Well, one only needs to look at the first post of "The End of TV" to know what it's about! I think we learned on these boards over the length of Tiffany V's aka "TV's" TCM career that any and all threads which dared to criticize her were immediately deleted by Moderators.  It seemed as though it was fine to critique any and all other folks who hosted (regularly or as guest hosts) on TCM but not TV. So, I guess I was simply avoiding saying the name of "The Person Who Shall Not Be Criticized In A Public Forum."  Personally, I just don't "get" why venturing an opinion is considered "snark." I have nothing against the woman personally (since I don't even know her) but, in my opinion, (and clearly now in TCM's opinion) Tiffany Vazquez was not qualified to be a host/commentator on a major cable network.  She had no "on camera presence," no depth of knowledge about film, classic or otherwise, and despite a couple of years of trying to "work with her," she was ultimately unsuccessful in this role. It sounds as though the next host (assuming it is Alicia Malone) has more experience and will have a better chance of success.  

I believe the post that were deleted by the moderators were generally ones that made snark comments about her appearance,  ethnic background  or over the top,  nasty criticisms of her abilities and therefore what you're saying here about the deletions of threads isn't accurate.

Evidence of my POV is that I'm commenting on your post.    I.e. a post that offers criticisms in a classy way with no snark hasn't been deleted.    (of course maybe it just hasn't been discovered yet,  ha ha!).

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...