Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The End of "TV"


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

th?id=OIP.W0O3t1CG49IGHbsQvilXbAAAAA&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.qeI9U7tcXMCoYJ4DYqVqgAHaJm&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

That look was made for not real hippies, but squares...a very conservative attempt at groovy. Real hippies wore eclectic mixes of fabrics.

Yeah, I suppose that's a fairly accurate way of describing that whole fleeting Nehru jacket trend back in the day, Tiki.

BUT, don't "Robert Wagner" and "Bradford Dillman" in that picture under George's here look kind'a snazzy in THEIR get-ups???

;)

(...nah, that's probably not R.J. or Brad there, but don't these two guys look a lot like 'em?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

True enough, Tiffany Vasquez had no on air presence, and she seemed to know little about film. I don't understand it though, she was supposed to have been a film major in college. Kids today are more book learned than having any actual true knowledge of film. And someone in this conversation wrote that film buffs should not be presenters. I strongly disagree. I believe film buffs should be presenters.  They just need to be knowledgeable film buffs. Alicia Malone has experience, and depthful opinons. Sorry Tiffany, that's the breaks, good luck to whatever field of interest you enter now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, TCM Fan 59 said:

I really liked Tiffany and her enthusiasm for the movies. I'm sorry, but I can't understand the Australian woman.  JMO, but not a good move. 

You can't understand her accent? It's not that thick.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 6:44 PM, TikiSoo said:

th?id=OIP.W0O3t1CG49IGHbsQvilXbAAAAA&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.qeI9U7tcXMCoYJ4DYqVqgAHaJm&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

That look was made for not real hippies, but squares...a very conservative attempt at groovy. Real hippies wore eclectic mixes of fabrics.

HA!  I remember that when I could finally afford a Nehru shirt they were way out of style.  :D  I think they came and went within a matter of a few weeks.   And I do remember a buddy's ditzy girlfiend asking some guy at a party who was sporting one of those shirts if he was really a Priest!  :D   And really, most "real" hippies '"eclectic" mix of fabrics consisted of anything that looked clean enough in the cans on the curbs, or what they could sneak out of the Goodwill bin.  ;) As an old "hippie" I can attest to that.  :huh:

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

HA!  I remember that when I could finally afford a Nehru shirt they were way out of style. As an old "hippie"

Well I'm a retro hippie, since I wore the fashions of the day as a child model, but never owned anything with a Neru neckline myself.

I have my Mom's haute couture 60's suits with Neru collars, embroidery & beadwork for sale on ebay from time to time. I'd look like Endora in them at my age:  Old Lady Hippie Wear.

endora-errrrr.jpg?w=620

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Just like the rock music in many "mainstream" TV shows and movies of the time.  

I think the TV/movie stuff we saw was just a little "behind" the times, but we still got some great tunes from it, dontcha think?

ci0leisbz8ialdvcuha0.jpg

True hippie fashion was creative, espressive & organic, so anything manufactured/off-the-rack was regarded as suspiciously inauthentic hippie regalia.

I was Gregg/Marcia's age and every kid at school dressed exactly like this 5-10 years earlier. I thought California must be super conservative and behind the times compared to "trendsetting" NY. 

Brady_Bunch15.jpg

I already dressed like this circa1968-70 (my Mom was in the fashion industry):

Brady-Bunch.jpg

Although I'd NEVER be allowed to show cleavage before 21, oh you tart Marcia! Bobby's contrast piping t-shirt, all that plaid/patterns/color blocking, billowy sleeves-so common for both genders, all ages. Except maids.

I absolutely loved clothes that mimicked my mother's couture. My Mother & I both had dresses exactly like these about 5 years earlier than broadcast year:

samantha-and-serena-bewitched-3652938-44

So I'd consider the costumer to be on target for the charactors. I love they weren't afraid of color & patterns 1965-75. Then Ralph Lauren and The Gap took over with the solid blue/gray/black palette that pretty much continues today.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I think the TV/movie stuff we saw was just a little "behind" the times, but we still got some great tunes from it, dontcha think?

ci0leisbz8ialdvcuha0.jpg

True hippie fashion was creative, espressive & organic, so anything manufactured/off-the-rack was regarded as suspiciously inauthentic hippie regalia.

I was Gregg/Marcia's age and every kid at school dressed exactly like this 5-10 years earlier. I thought California must be super conservative and behind the times compared to "trendsetting" NY. 

Brady_Bunch15.jpg

I already dressed like this circa1968-70 (my Mom was in the fashion industry):

Brady-Bunch.jpg

Although I'd NEVER be allowed to show cleavage before 21, oh you tart Marcia! Bobby's contrast piping t-shirt, all that plaid/patterns/color blocking, billowy sleeves-so common for both genders, all ages. Except maids.

I absolutely loved clothes that mimicked my mother's couture. My Mother & I both had dresses exactly like these about 5 years earlier than broadcast year:

samantha-and-serena-bewitched-3652938-44

So I'd consider the costumer to be on target for the charactors. I love they weren't afraid of color & patterns 1965-75. Then Ralph Lauren and The Gap took over with the solid blue/gray/black palette that pretty much continues today.

I'm at the tail end of the baby boom generation or the beginning of the Gen X, depending on whose definition you use.  Those of us born within a couple of years of the JFK assassination fit into characteristics of both. 

Anyway, I have older brothers born in the early 50s.  When they were in junior high and high school (public) - before that they were in Catholic schools - they still had very strict dress codes.  Boys could only wear slacks/trousers - no denim/blue jeans, and hair had to not touch their collars and no facial hair.  Girls had to wear dresses/skirts, and there was a minimum length - about mid-thigh.  They looked very much like the Brady kids.  After they graduated, they went crazy with their hair and clothes.  By the time I was in junior high in the mid 70s in the same school system, there were essentially no dress codes except for prohibition on profanity on t-shirts.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I think the TV/movie stuff we saw was just a little "behind" the times, but we still got some great tunes from it, dontcha think?

ci0leisbz8ialdvcuha0.jpg

True hippie fashion

Thing I was trying to point out is there WAS no "true hippie fashion".   Only what the market tried to PUSH as so to "weekend warriors", or, what hippies called "Yo-Yos"---those that were one kind of person through their plastic world weeks and what they tried to push themselves off as on weekends.  ;) 

And musically, I have NO idea what they were trying to sell the public on THE BRADY BUNCH!   I suppose this could have been a big pre-teen AM "hit"  :D 

 

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Thing I was trying to point out is there WAS no "true hippie fashion".   Only what the market tried to PUSH as so to "weekend warriors", or, what hippies called "Yo-Yos"---those that were one kind of person through their plastic world weeks and what they tried to push themselves off as on weekends.  ;) 

And musically, I have NO idea what they were trying to sell the public on THE BRADY BUNCH!   I suppose this could have been a big pre-teen AM "hit"  :D 

 

Sepiatone

Well, I'm not sure about musically here Sepia, but during the latter part of the Brady Bunch's run, I always got the impression they were trying to sell to the public the idea that getting a perm hairstyle for boys and men was the hip thing to do, anyway! ;) 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Because in the 70's, black was beautiful:

0a874ffac9653bba91688207bc1952cd---hairs

Have to admit I've never gotten my hair permed, and so is what you're sayin' here that havin' it done is, ahem, "easy as ABC, 1,2,3, baby you and me"???

(...sorry, just couldn't resist) ;)

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Thing I was trying to point out is there WAS no "true hippie fashion".   Only what the market tried to PUSH as so to "weekend warriors", or, what hippies called "Yo-Yos"---those that were one kind of person through their plastic world weeks and what they tried to push themselves off as on weekends.  ;) 

And musically, I have NO idea what they were trying to sell the public on THE BRADY BUNCH!   I suppose this could have been a big pre-teen AM "hit"  :D 

 

Sepiatone

Thanks for this trip down memory lane...NOT!  😆  Seeing the Brady kids dressed like this, you'd think they were part of the Spirit Squad for BYU football games!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.  I get an occasional kick out of tuning in to their reruns now and then.  It's just that back when they were first run, and over the years and even now, I never thought or pretended that the show was "quality" programming.  Not beyond the level of skill shown by the cameramen and sound editors that is.  ;)

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...