Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why Terminator?

rainingviolets21

Raining, I agree. Other channels show TERMINATOR and I enjoy TCM's chance to show gems that no other channel does but if they think this is the way to access a newer, less-educated marketbase and gain their favor, so be it. When are DUMB & DUMBER and ACE VENTURA scheduled? Next week? I think GIGLI's up next...

Why not Terminator...gee guys get a grip, TCM plays Terminator, did hit your panic button or something..

Other channels play the same movies all the time...

Terminator was a commercial hit, a classic (arguably) as well Alien and I cant believe there is a mild uproar over this..

AMC plays movies that are shown on TCM a lot,,,big deal

TCM reaches out to their audience...

Plus MGM / Warner OWN the Terminator so why cant they play it & if you prefer not to watch Terminator on TCM, just change the channel...

Alien is a classic horror from 1979 - superior to its sequels and imitators..

TCM has a right to play these films

Just because Fred Astaire, Humphrey Bogart, Greta Garbo, Cary Grant, Robert Ryan, Gary Cooper, Robert Mitchum Ginger Rogers or Mr Rgoers etc aren't in it or because the movie is in color doesn't mean its not good & shouldn't be shown on TCM..c'mon folks !

No disrespect meant here

There I feel better now :) have a great day

Message was edited by: dsclassic

The Terminator just does not seem appropriate programming for TCM...does it? That said, the final scene...Sarah Conner drives her jeep toward storm clouds of...uh, destiny (ha! I didn't say "storm clouds of doom") IS a classic scene. In fact, wasn't The Terminator a bit of a low-budget film? Well, it is obvious James Cameron put every production dollar budgeted for The Terminator up on the big screen. Movie making at its best, but does the movie "belong" on TCM? I don't know, I might schedule The Terminator...if I was programming TCM. On the other hand...maybe, I would skip The Terminator. Depends on my supervisor's wants and desires. That's life...you know?.

Oh, yes...please don't mention "Gigli" again until 2009...okay?

Rusty

Who is to say whats appropriate and whats not appropriate...again just because a Bogart, Grant, Stewart, Gable, Astaire arent in it & just because it is not black & white and just because it doesn't have a Golden Age aura doesn't mean it isn't a classic or not appropriate for TCM..or that it doesn't belong

They already have TCM underground playing cult and campy crap , and Terminator is far better than Bride of the Monster or a Roger Corman monster movie like Creature from the Haunted Sea

Frankly I hope they play one the better movies from Dario Argento film just to spite the "OMG how can TCM play that" audience

Furthermore I hope they play Pulp Fiction , Reservoir Dogs, Creepshow , The Live , Escape from New York - I cant even imagine reactions on here..

Id ****

Changing the channel is an option

What a great line up TCM can have in one given day

Maltese Falcon

It Happened One Night

Strangers on a Train

Arsenic & Old Lace

Fiend without a Face

The Terminator

Alien

If I didnt own these movies Id be glued to the TV set :) !! All of these are great movies

Don't worry, I do change the channel, and one comment is hardly an "uproar". I can't understand wishing for TCM to play the movies that you listed, just to get a "reaction" from people you don't even know, on a message board, because they expressed an opinion with which you disagree. That's kind of what the message board is for.

Everytime TCM shows a newer film somebody has to come on the board and say the same thing again and again, everytime they show a newer film someone starts a thread complaining that TCM is becoming AMC. TCM is still showing older films ok, they are playing more older films then newer films so I don't see what the problem is, you will still get to see your precious classics. Next month we will have somebaody on the borad complaining about Lord of the RIngs and Seven being played, it never ends. Get over it, don't be a cry baby. As for Alien being shown on TCM, why not, we have plenty of time to see older films on TCM.

Yes, D, well said. Spammer-Haters earn their ignore status. I can certainly understand bringing popular modern films like TERMINATOR, SOMETHING ABOUT MARY and similar films to fill up TCM's time-slots. It's not as if they're required to show classics. COPS is probably available, too.

Thanks :) Like I say, I don't care for them, so I just change the channel, same as I do for other movies on TCM that aren't my cup of tea. It certainly doesn't mean I can't express my opinion about them, I'm not trying to tell TCM not to show them, since apparently someone likes them. IF (and I'm not saying that they are) TCM was to ever start going the way of AMC, I'd just quit watching, just as I did AMC. Obviously, if I ran TCM, I wouldn't show them, LOL. As of now, TCM still shows enough of the movies that I do like.

Regarding the "spammer-haters" (good description!), they don't bother me enough to use the "ignore" feature. Only a lot vile cursing would probably make me resort to that, and I don't think a post like that would make it through the filter :)

oooh good one...yuk yuk oh my ribs

If the need to change TCM to BTALOC channel then so be it

The cult channel ?

And yes Terminator & Alien is better than a lot of crap out there currently speaking

How does that make you feel ?

Mom, he started it!!!

I like my classic station "straight" not shaken or stirred. My preference IS for TCM to show the black & white, Gable-Ava-Lancaster-Lizabeth-Cagney-Bogart-Cary-pre 1960's film classics. But as I watched "The Terminator" off and on last nite, I did get caught up in the intense relentless action of the film. (To think, this film is 24 years old when it was just the other day my friend & I went to see this in the theatres). Other channels might be showing it fraught with commercials while TCM is commercial free (for now). And I guess showing a current classic every once in a blue blue palest of blue moons is okay on TCM. But just know there WILL be a hue & cry every time this beloved TCM shows a newer film. (And quit telling folks to change the channel). Let those other MAX, SHO, HBO channels show the newer films. But if you give a tv station an inch...they'll take a mile. And when "Gigli" IS shown...it'll be the end of the world as we know it.

Exactly, yes I know AMC and others play them, but if they air on TCM, they will get the Osbourne intro and the films are NOT bad movies at all in fact they are all good, I wasn't into Blade Runner, but I am in the minority...

God, Heaven and the the entire Milky Way Galaxy forbid they play a movie that is 20 years old as opposed to 75 years old...

Let them play newer movies as long as they are good newer movies

Memento, Pulp Fiction, Colossus the Forbin Project. Terminator

Their primary focus is classics & they do play color movies that are classics like Bridge of the River Kwai, but again again and AGAIN a movie can be good even if it doesn't have a Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant but can have a Kurt Russell, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Harrison Ford instead...

The bigger the TCM library, the more diverse movies they play, the better the station will be in the long run...how many times a month does a WB War, Noir, Crime or what have need to play before viewers say "Its on again , dear, oh I wish they'd play something else"

TCM reaches to fans of various genres as well as era's and they are to be commended , not condemned for it...

Now please play a Dario Argento movie ;)

well at least a John Carpenter movie

But just know there WILL be a hue & cry every time this beloved TCM shows a newer film.>>

Lord help us next month for the 31 Days of Oscar.

One thing is for sure, this is the eternal argument on this board. People have been arguing about this since the early days of the board and will, no doubt, be arguing about it in the future.

The bottom line is TCM is playing movies of all decades which it has done since it first went on the air in 1994. We just had a wonderful month of pre-codes, Irene Dunn and William Wellman films. In November we had a great month of film series. This month Jimmy Cagney is the Star of the Month.

So the idea that the classic era films are getting short shrift for newer films doesn't hold up under scrutiny of the schedules.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings