Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Propose That Muller Take The Place Of Mankiewicz

Does it occur to anyone that the hosts (perhaps with the exception of EM) are not writing their own material?  I'm amazed that people think that Ben is furiously scribbling notes down about every movie.  That is the job of a writer and researcher, not (generally speaking) an on-air host.  Obviously RO was the rare exception, perhaps in the early days, but as time went on most of his stuff was boilerplate as well.  I get it that some don't like Ben's approach, (which reminds me of the way Bill Murray might intro movies) but personally I find it refreshing.  He allows, many times, for the fact that this isn't brain surgery and he's willing to occasionally poke fun at himself and the films....

• Like 10
2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

What's wrong with pairing wine and food with a movie? The whole idea is to make movie watching an "event."  It's the idea that you can make watching Casablanca (for example) special by having something fun to drink, fun to eat and share the experience with others.....

Exactly speedy!

And THIS is why whenever I'm watching this particular movie with others, I'll always rise and invite the others to join me in singing a rousing chorus of La Marseillaise during one key scene in that flick! YOU know, the one where it really ticks-off Conrad Veidt.

(...and while of course we all raise our glasses of Beaujolais in toast to the French Resistance)

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeh, but one of the wines they talk about is supposed to be a "perfect" way to watch a Marx Brothers films. I'd be afraid of finding a Groucho-like moustache hair in it.

I also remember the way Harpo climbed into Edgar Kennedy's lemonade tank and I never looked at the drink the same way again.

It's almost enough to drive me to drinking some wine with moustache hairs floating around in it.

DuckSoup22.png

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Exactly speedy!

And THIS is why whenever I'm watching this particular movie with others, I'll always rise and invite the others to join me in singing a rousing chorus of La Marseillaise during one key scene in that flick! YOU know, the one that really ticks-off Conrad Veidt.

(...and while of course we all raise our glasses of Beaujolais in toast to the French Resistance)

;)

923500b38a23c57e9f0f128ea7ea926d.jpg

"You singing French swine! Time for me to inform Captain Renault that it's time to shoot a few of you while you're trying to escape."

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

It might be that in most of the movies, it isn't wine they're drinking.  HMmmm......

Maybe a "TCM SCOTCH CLUB"? ;)

I mean how silly can people get?  The idea that there's some "perfect wine" to "compliment" some movie or whatnot.  And now Eddie's added FOOD to the fray.  I mean, I can enjoy ANY movie I like while slurping down a cup of coffee or some cream soda and munching potato chips or Cheez-Its.  And it really doesn't say much for ANY movie to imply it might be more enjoyable if you're "half in the bag" while watching it.  

Sepiatone

I could see eating hot dogs while watching a film like "The Natural (1984)" or maybe pizza during "The Godfather (1972)". There are people who dress up in period outfits for those classic films they are showing in theaters these days. Its all in fun, no big deal.

I'm not a wine drinker. If they move to craft beer or "scotch" as posted above, maybe I'll become a fan :P

Although I can say there ARE movies that NO AMOUNT of alcohol consumption will make better. ;)

Maybe not better. But, after watching one of those "rip your heart out dramas" like "Imitation of Life (1934)", I might need a drink.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I'm not a wine drinker. If they move to craft beer or "scotch" as posted above, maybe I'll become a fan :P

Getting back to wine, the most appropriate wine for film noirs is probably a muscatel short dog nicely packaged in a dirty twisted paper bag B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
29 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Getting back to wine, the most appropriate wine for film noirs is probably a muscatel short dog nicely packaged in a dirty twisted paper bag B)

Apparently, an adult beverage with a film is becoming a thing. Might as well be able to make a proper choice:

popcorn-and-beer.jpg?w=630

4 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Apparently, an adult beverage with a film is becoming a thing. Might as well be able to make a proper choice:

popcorn-and-beer.jpg?w=630

Yeah many theaters now serve alcohol that you can take to the movie with you.  I never partake, because 1) it's way over priced and 2) the glasses usually don't have lids so I'll probably spill it and 3) If I don't manage to spill it, I'll drink it too fast and be left with nothing! Give me my bucket of soda and some Sour Patch Kids and I'm good! 

If I were to drink wine or beer in the theater, it definitely wouldn't be domestic beer like Coors and it definitely wouldn't be Sutter Home.  I have been known to partake in some boxed wine... but that's neither here nor there.  Lol. 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Yeah many theaters now serve alcohol that you can take to the movie with you.  I never partake, because 1) it's way over priced and 2) the glasses usually don't have lids so I'll probably spill it and 3) If I don't manage to spill it, I'll drink it too fast and be left with nothing! Give me my bucket of soda and some Sour Patch Kids and I'm good! 

If I were to drink wine or beer in the theater, it definitely wouldn't be domestic beer like Coors and it definitely wouldn't be Sutter Home.  I have been known to partake in some boxed wine... but that's neither here nor there.  Lol. 

There used to be a small music venue in a town where we played which served wine but not beer.  Behind their parking lot was chain fence and what I thought was a junkyard behind that.  This was right around the time they banned open containers in vehicles, so I brought my beer unopened and dealt with it when I got there.  I brought large 20 oz styrofoam cups with lids to pour it in for the guys and myself.  Then after dark I went outside and threw the bottles as hard as I could over the fence and into the junkyard.

The owner and I became friends and I got sick of being discreet with my beer at about the same time, so one night I just started bringing in a six-pack.  I walked right past him and told him not to p--- me off, if he wanted to charge a corking fee just ask.  He just looked at me and laughed.

I later learned that the junkyard was an auxiliary impound lot.

Probably not much help as far as the cinema multiplex scene goes, that just brought back a memory or two.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Dargo said:

Exactly speedy!

And THIS is why whenever I'm watching this particular movie with others, I'll always rise and invite the others to join me in singing a rousing chorus of La Marseillaise during one key scene in that flick! YOU know, the one where it really ticks-off Conrad Veidt.

;)

Next time, maybe as an alternative, you could provide a few bottles of VICHY WATER for those who eschew alcoholic beverages? ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Next time, maybe as an alternative, you could provide a few bottles of VICHY WATER for those who eschew alcoholic beverages? ;)

Sepiatone

That's the spirit! (no pun intended).  

TCM's "Let's Movie" slogan, the noir gear, the wine club... is all an attempt to make watching classic film a lifestyle and an experience to share with others.  It's not saying that every film has to be an elaborate production, but sometimes it's fun to gather people around with drinks (alcoholic or non) and great food and just have a fun evening watching a classic.  If making the film an "event" helps people get interested in classic film, that'll only help TCM bring in more viewers and help the classic film community as a whole, which will hopefully in turn, provide more revenue to get harder to lease classics on the small screen and maybe bring more films to the home market for purchase on DVD or blu ray or whatever.  I say, anything to get more people interested in classic film and to show them that everything doesn't need to be CGI'd within an inch of its life, the better. 

• Like 3
On 1/30/2018 at 5:07 PM, Vautrin said:

I propose that EM take the place of the guy who was dumped

in the Passaic river last Friday. :)

Good call. Maybe then Muller would have a story for one of his lackluster books that is worth reading. Incidentally, anyone who thinks Muller knows anything much about films in general or any background knowledge off the top of his head that he has not looked up first on the net, I have some nice swampland for sale cheap.

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

OH! Well actually Sepia, I already do offer Vichy Water to any of the others while we're watching Casablanca together.

(...that's how I can tell who's sympathies really might lay with the German collaborators in the flick, ya see) ;)

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

That's the spirit! (no pun intended).  

TCM's "Let's Movie" slogan, the noir gear, the wine club... is all an attempt to make watching classic film a lifestyle and an experience to share with others.  It's not saying that every film has to be an elaborate production, but sometimes it's fun to gather people around with drinks (alcoholic or non) and great food and just have a fun evening watching a classic.  If making the film an "event" helps people get interested in classic film, that'll only help TCM bring in more viewers and help the classic film community as a whole, which will hopefully in turn, provide more revenue to get harder to lease classics on the small screen and maybe bring more films to the home market for purchase on DVD or blu ray or whatever.  I say, anything to get more people interested in classic film and to show them that everything doesn't need to be CGI'd within an inch of its life, the better. 

This idea of turning live entertainment into a more formal event is already happening. Folks are beginning to dress up when classic films are shown in theaters. There are bands that play classic music or new songs in a classic style,  and people are dressing in period attire to the events.

If this is a trend, why shouldn't TCM ride the wave ?

On 1/31/2018 at 6:50 PM, cigarjoe said:

Cigar Joe, I think you are dead on with this brilliant exegesis!

But I digress...

The perfect replacement for Eddie Muller on TCM's Noir films is of course...Robert Mueller.

To begin with, even the surname is correct, since though Robert has the extra "e" in the middle, his name actually is pronounced as Muller while Eddie's name isn't even Muller to begin with. His dad fudged on that since his real name was something quite dissimilar and now Eddie Junior has tried to obscure that fact, unimportant though it is. Won't even name his father's real surname on any of his sites, which you'd think he would be proud of. I bet if Robert Mueller's real family surname was something like Voskevic or the like, he'd proudly display it on his FBI credentials.

Secondly, unlike Eddie Muller [who according to his own testimony is the world's foremost authority on noir] Robert Mueller is not one who just has read about noirish events in books, but he has lived a life surrounded by noirish people and danger causing him to be an intrepid male of adventure. As Director of the FBI and during his tenures in Vietnam, Robert has seen more noir than Eddie ever has witnessed probably in his whole life. Mueller's real life escapades in Nam resulted in a Bronze Star and Purple Heart during ambushes and deadly skirmishes whilst Muller's most deadly skirmish was probably while trying to find his Mr.Boston book that fell under a tiki bar, when he was fixing his 1940's Swank cufflink duo.

Robert Mueller has worked investigating financial fraud, public corruption, and was also in the criminal division of DOJ, resulting in the prosecution of Gambino family icons like John Gotti, while Eddie Muller's connection to real crime is probably when he met Lawrence Tierney, who has been arrested a few times but is no criminal hotshot like a Bugsy Siegel. Mueller has dealt with homicides first hand while the only thing Muller ever killed was a martini.

Reading about crime in noirish circumstances is not the same as living amidst it. I bet Robert Mueller would be a whole lot more interesting and with his research skills could IMDB the movies shown just as well as Eddie. As they say, those who can do, and those who can't...teach, or maybe just write books about those dark, wet streets of noir. I'd prefer someone with real life experience instead of the usual suspects who wannabe noir male icons, but don't have the real life experience and think tilting their fedoras to look like Mitchum is all it takes to become a tv talking head that is mostly empty of extemporaneous film facts.

So if Robert Mueller does lose that investigative job in Washington, I vote for him as the new Noir Host at TCM. I'm sure he would want Ben on his team though, as he would dig his style and verbal aplomb.

Getting Mueller proves that the real deal always trumps the pale imitation!
1 minute ago, MovieMadness said:

We don't need political hosts on movie channels.

Let's not be prejudiced, MM.

If we can allow neophytes who know little about films, and people who can't really write in as hosts, I see no problem allowing a person in the government realm in to extemporize remarks about movies for our enjoyment.

I suppose you would not allow Ronald Reagan in to discuss episodes of "Death Valley Days" or "Bedtime for Bonzo' just cuz he went from acting in Hollywood to acting in Washington?

Tsk tsk!!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

If we can allow neophytes who know little about films, and people who can't really write in as hosts, I see no problem allowing a person in the government realm in to extemporize remarks about movies for our enjoyment.

I suppose you would not allow Ronald Reagan in to discuss episodes of "Death Valley Days" or "Bedtime for Bonzo' just cuz he went from acting in Hollywood to acting in Washington?

Tsk tsk!!

MM wouldn't mind Reagan cuz he was a republican. ;)

As for turning movie watching into an "event", well, y'all obviously hang with a different crowd than I ever did.  Having a bunch of them over to watch a movie and DRINK on top of that only increases the possibility of some mook talking though 2/3 of the movie.  And the drunker they are, the noisier they get.

No thanks.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Well, like I've told ya numerous times already around here MM, first, Ben pushing his politics while performing his TCM hosting duties is a rare if never occurrence. At least I, and I believe most everybody else around here, feels this way, anyway.

(...oh yeah, and that second thing I've told ya numerous times around here, AND in fact have told almost everybody around here numerous times is that the only thing about Ben I PERSONALLY have ever found wanting in his presentations is that unfortunate nasally voice of his...of course then again I suppose not everybody can possess a voice as mellifluous as mine, huh...all modesty aside, of course) 

LOL

• Haha 1

I don't find that watching a movie needs to be an "event," whatever that means.  Putting a fedora on does not enhance the experience of watching a noir for me.  In fact, I find that watching movies with others is mostly a disappointing experience that involves too much talking and not enough listening and watching.  If you have to dress up in period garb or uncork a bottle of Vichy water to be able to enjoy Casablanca, you're missing the point. This isn't the Rocky Horror Picture Show.....

• Like 3
1 minute ago, overeasy said:

I don't find that watching a movie needs to be an "event," whatever that means.  Putting a fedora on does not enhance the experience of watching a noir for me.  In fact, I find that watching movies with others is mostly a disappointing experience that involves too much talking and not enough listening and watching.  If you have to dress up in period garb or uncork a bottle of Vichy water to be able to enjoy Casablanca, you're missing the point. This isn't the Rocky Horror Picture Show.....

I agree with this. I don't begrudge other people if they enjoy "getting into it" more, but it's not for me. And I also prefer to see a movie alone, especially if it's the first time I'm watching it. I don't mind rewatching with others as much, with the attendant discussion. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

8 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Tsk tsk!!

Dennis Miller introduced some movies on TCM, and MM made no objection to him.

• Haha 1
On 2/1/2018 at 9:36 AM, RipMurdock said:

Good call. Maybe then Muller would have a story for one of his lackluster books that is worth reading. Incidentally, anyone who thinks Muller knows anything much about films in general or any background knowledge off the top of his head that he has not looked up first on the net, I have some nice swampland for sale cheap.

The TCM Noireteria even sells concrete blocks for $29.99 plus two way attachment

rope for $11.99. They're still working on a wine selection that would complement this.

• Haha 1