Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Palmerin

I Propose That Muller Take The Place Of Mankiewicz

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Dennis Miller introduced some movies on TCM, and MM made no objection to him.

Don't forget the orange cheeto Benito conman himself was once a guest programmer in Nov. 2007.

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2018 at 3:10 AM, Palmerin said:

EM is amazing in his job as host of the Film Noir hour. He explains every movie in detail, and always finds something interesting to say about even the most average productions. In a word, he is ENTHUSIASTIC about his work.

About Mankiewicz, his typical demeanor is one of ill concealed apathy. Two Sundays ago, when he introduced KING SOLOMON'S MINES of 1950, he limited himself to a mechanical repetition of what he has said before about how pioneering that movie was by being filmed on location rather that on a backlot, exactly as if that were late breaking news. I waited to see how he would introduce Negulescu's GUNOI=GARBAGE, and, just as I expected, he just repeated the same crib notes of the last time he introduced the Webb-Stanwyck vehicle. Only when he has a co-host, such as Alec Baldwin or Friedkin, does BM feel motivated to pontificate magisterially about movies, exactly as if he were an expert on everything from A productions that earn Oscars and Golden Globes to turkeys that are of interest only to movie critics compilating lists of 10 Worst Movies of the Year.

So how would the enthusiastic Herr Muller speak about the Granger-Kerr-Carlson vehicle? You can bet he would mention such interesting factoids as:

1. When the hunter who has just killed an elephant is about to shoot another, Granger stops him and tells him that one elephant is enough. In 1897, the year of the story, hunting animals by the pound was perfectly normal; clearly that attitude was changing by the middle of the 20th century. Today you have President Kenyatta of Kenya setting fire to $105 million in ivory to symbolize his country's rejection of ivory as a source of wealth;

2. Only a few years after 1950, the struggle for African independence began; were the makers of this movie aware of the coming unrest?;

3. Only African music is employed in the soundtrack; since that music is unfamiliar to most Westerners, some explaining of it would be very welcome;

4. Some of the animals are little known. For example, what breed is that huge spider that gives Kerr such a fright?;

5. What about the true star of the production, Siriaque of the Watusi tribe? That man has such powerful presence that he totally upstages Granger, Kerr and Carlson. If this treatment of Haggard's story had been filmed today, people like Cameron, Ridley Scott and Spielberg would be paying very good money to hire him.

The intros are usually between 3 to 5 minutes. You can't expect him to go into all of that.

8 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The intros are usually between 3 to 5 minutes. You can't expect him to go into all of that.

No, I don't expect anyone to say everything that can be said about a movie all in just one brief monologue, but rather to do better than to simply repeat what has already been said a hundred times.

In the case of MINES, for example, one monologue can be dedicated to the music. Back in 1950, the only movie music that got wide attention was theme songs; now, in the time of John Williams and his adventure scores, the soundtrack of MINES would be of great interest to film melomanes. Another good monologue subject would be Siriaque of the Tutsi tribe. What else did he do in his life? Maybe he entered politics, and became an important leader in the country of which he would eventually become a citizen.

One different subject every time a movie of merit like KSM is discussed, and before you know it, TCM has a new collectionable that will see great demand: collections of essays about the different facets of those diamonds that are classic movies!:lol:

41 minutes ago, Mozart1791 said:

No, I don't expect anyone to say everything that can be said about a movie all in just one brief monologue, but rather to do better than to simply repeat what has already been said a hundred times.

In fairness to Ben, he may not know a certain something about the movie has already been discussed a hundred times. 

It's already been pointed out, but Ben has a limited time before the movie has to start, I think too much is being expected of him to discuss other details that some viewers would like him to mention.

8 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

In fairness to Ben, he may not know a certain something about the movie has already been discussed a hundred times. 

It's already been pointed out, but Ben has a limited time before the movie has to start, I think too much is being expected of him to discuss other details that some viewers would like him to mention.

Let's take the ZHIVAGO of Lean; wouldn't you like to know about such hitherto unmentioned factoids as how Pasternak managed to survive that Hell that was Stalindom? As Leon Trotsky and countless others could tell you, being famous and eminent in a tyranny is more often than not a sentence to an eventual violent death.

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Any wine with a screw cap will suffice. ;)

Sepiatone

You'll find a lot of good wine choices in all price ranges with screw caps nowadays, Sepiatone.  More wineries are replacing oak corks with screw caps for environmental reasons, no worries about cork taint and opened wine will last a little longer with a screw cap.  All the wines from New Zealand have screw caps now.

• Like 1

Whilst Ben (or his writers) are certainly guilty of re-using the same monologues, you have to remember that they're intended to provide a brief background on the film for both experienced & casual viewers - whilst all manner of interesting tidbits could be included, (over) doing so could leave a first time viewer out in the cold. The regular ones are a compromise & whilst the extended ones that Noir Alley gets are interesting, I'm not sure that I'd want that all the time, on all the films - especially on something I've seen a bazillion times. Sometimes, the movie is all I need.

Whenever I watch Lawrence of Arabia I always make sure that a pitcher of cold water is nearby.

2 hours ago, Mozart1791 said:

Let's take the ZHIVAGO of Lean; wouldn't you like to know about such hitherto unmentioned factoids as how Pasternak managed to survive that Hell that was Stalindom? As Leon Trotsky and countless others could tell you, being famous and eminent in a tyranny is more often than not a sentence to an eventual violent death.

You're assuming that Ben knows (or should know) EVERYTHING about every movie he introduces. While it would be nice if the host did have a certain amount of knowledge about the film he's introducing, it may not always be possible.

24 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

You're assuming that Ben knows (or should know) EVERYTHING about every movie he introduces. While it would be nice if the host did have a certain amount of knowledge about the film he's introducing, it may not always be possible.

Myself and M1791 may come across as awful pedantic, but it's simply that we are kindred spirits who love to be knowledgeable.

To quote a very famous example: did 007 arise in a vacuum? No, indeed; the spy genre is one of the most venerable of cinema, and even someone like Mary Pickford, who was no Mata Hari or Fraulein Doktor, performed as a spy during the Great War.

Nothing wrong with knowledge, far from it, it's always interesting to learn some new facts about a certain movie that you haven't known before.

What I meant was that Ben may not get to pick and choose what film he gets to 'critique', he's merely the host rather than the TCM programmers. Perhaps the head honchos at TCM would be wiser to give Ben some new material and/or a movie he could have a fair amount of knowledge with to share some new tibids with the viewers.

Ah, but remember BETH.  Ben's NOT there to critique, just to introduce a movie and say a little bit about it.  For all WE know, he might not even LIKE many of the movies he's assigned to introduce.  Just as I'm sure many radio DJs might not have liked a lot of the SONGS they introduced with much enthusiasm  over the air.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Ah, but remember BETH.  Ben's NOT there to critique, just to introduce a movie and say a little bit about it.  For all WE know, he might not even LIKE many of the movies he's assigned to introduce.  Just as I'm sure many radio DJs might not have liked a lot of the SONGS they introduced with much enthusiasm  over the air.

Sepiatone

Like I said, Ben may not have a whole lot, if any, input about the movies that are being programmed to air on the channel. If he doesn't like the movies that he's being asked to introduce, that's hardly his fault....one cannot make one 'like' a movie if they don't. 

What I am saying is that perhaps the people who run TCM might think about giving Ben a movie they know he could be fairly enthusiastic and knowledgeable about.

17 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

You'll find a lot of good wine choices in all price ranges with screw caps nowadays, Sepiatone.  More wineries are replacing oak corks with screw caps for environmental reasons, no worries about cork taint and opened wine will last a little longer with a screw cap.  All the wines from New Zealand have screw caps now.

There are also a lot of great boxed wines (of the non-Franzia variety).  

Now, I'm starting to see wine in a can... not sure if I can get on board with that one yet.  Lol.

19 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Now, I'm starting to see wine in a can... not sure if I can get on board with that one yet.  Lol.

I don't even drink beer out of a can, unless of course it is on tap (a really big can), but that doesn't count.

17 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I remember years ago I used to drink wine in a box.  Then discovered I was allergic to whatever the bags were made from.  Tried several different brands at different times - same result.  Now I stick to bottled wine, cork or screw top.  Although some corks are actually plastic.

27 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

You will be seeing more wines in cans.  It's a growing market and the wines are getting better.  There are some good winemakers getting into the canned wine biz.  Coppola has "Sofia" sparkling wines in cans and it's good but pricey.

Just now, MovieCollectorOH said:

I don't even drink beer out of a can, unless of course it is on tap, but that doesn't count.

I don't drink beer out of a can either.  I'll drink it out of a bottle or in a glass.  Craft breweries are starting to can their beers and I am just not sure about that.  Lol. 

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't drink beer out of a can either.  I'll drink it out of a bottle or in a glass.  Craft breweries are starting to can their beers and I am just not sure about that.  Lol. 

Good beer in cans is another thing you'll see more of now and in the future.  A couple of years ago, there was a "taste test" between beers in bottles and beers in cans and the tasters couldn't tell the difference (I don't remember the source of the test).  Lots of good craft beers in cans.

When I started my career decades ago writing about the alcohol beverage trade, I became a bit of a snob about wines with screw tops, wines in boxes, beers in cans, etc. but the quality and market innovations have really improved over the years so I've changed my tune big-time.  The only thing I remain snobby about now is watered-down domestic "light" beers - I just don't care much for them.  If I'm drinking a beer, I want BEER. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I wouldn't drink the wine out of the can but instead pour it into a glass.     So what I want to know is if there is a difference in taste when wine is stored in a can.    If NOT,  I might purchase wine-in-a-can for the convenience;  E.g. for camping it would be easier to place in a cooler,  as well as to open and pour the wine into a glass.

21 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wouldn't drink the wine out of the can but instead pour it into a glass.     So what I want to know is if there is a difference in taste when wine is stored in a can.    If NOT,  I might purchase wine-in-a-can for the convenience;  E.g. for camping it would be easier to place in a cooler,  as well as to open and pour the wine into a glass.

Its not in my list of priorities of things to investigate, but the can would probably at least need to be lined.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:06 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Dennis Miller introduced some movies on TCM, and MM made no objection to him.

Well, shoot, Denny Miller was great as Tarzan, the Ape Man in films and as Juliet Prowse's hubby in "Mona McCluskey" so I guess he had some film knowledge and he did work with that cutie, Bartlett Robinson in the latter, who I love in anything!

Oh, you meant Dennis Miller, the ex-employee of "Saturday Night Live"???

Never mind!

• Haha 2

On 2/2/2018 at 6:16 PM, Sepiatone said:

MM wouldn't mind Reagan cuz he was a republican. ;)

As for turning movie watching into an "event", well, y'all obviously hang with a different crowd than I ever did.  Having a bunch of them over to watch a movie and DRINK on top of that only increases the possibility of some mook talking though 2/3 of the movie.  And the drunker they are, the noisier they get.

No thanks.

Sepiatone

I actually agree with you, Sepia as I don't really need any host to telegraph to me what I am going to see in a movie or explain the movie after it ends. I also hate people talking through movies, which is why I am not a fan of shows which have that kind of constant interruptions. And no one not respectful of films is ever invited for a viewing experience. 

But I might drink myself while watching a movie, but never again any red wine, which can stain a white couch if one is watching something like "House on Haunted Hill" and has some classic William Castle jump shocks!