Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WAY DOWN EAST (1920)

Guest dredagain

Watched this one on New Year's Day... what a terrific film, except for the boring dirge-like organ music. There must be a better version available...

Gish and Barthelmess were terrific, and the ice-floe scenes (filmed over a 3-week period at White River Junction, VT) are as exciting today as they were in 1920, partly because there are no stunt doubles. The blizzard scenes were filmed on Long Island--I always thought they were done in northern New England.

I also really enjoyed the villainous Lowell Sherman (who I always like) and the town gossip played by Vivia Ogden.

The film is a real treat except for the lousy score.

Ed,

I have the Image Entertainment version. This is the 1928 re-issue with a vintage Movie-tone score by Hugo Reisenfeld I believe? Terra Entertainment recently Hi-jacked this sound track, and tacked it on to their own DVD release of Mary Pickford's LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY, with not a Single musical-cue in place! I wonder how they were able to get away with this?

Sadly, WAY DOWN EAST only survives in somewhat truncated second, and third generation prints. As I mentioned several months ago, the original Camera Negative was destroyed in the great Fox Studios Vault fire of 1937. I'm pretty sure that the negative to FOUR SONS was also lost in the same inferno? Along with many other Fox Silents.

Jeff I read there was a restored and longer version released in 1985 but I have no idea by whom? or if it just made the festival circuit.....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings