Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hooray for the Olympics!

Wait, wait!  This is not idle chitter.  The Olympics have figured in movies (figured--get it?--figured).  There has been a skiing movie I can think of, and not too bad, Downhill Racer (1969).  There's been a bobsled movie, Cool Runnings (1992).  And--ok--figure skating movies.  And hockey, too.  But what about luge?  Or biathalon?  And no, there is no Olympic motorcycle racing--yet.

Nevertheless, the Winter Olympics will provide ample opportunity for diversion during this particularly dearthful Thirty-one Days of The Void.  So while the rest of you will be munching on Twice-Chewed Tales, I will be gorging on downhill, skeleton, super-g, and such, which, since they show these sports during the day, I will be able to record, then watch at evening, editing out the commercials.  Yum, yum.

I like The Cutting Edge.  In the 90s, my mom and I were all over Figure Skating.  We watched every competition and were very familiar with the skaters.  "Kristi Yamiguchi had a great performance at Nationals, she's definitely going to get the gold in Worlds."  Lol.  I remember the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan debacle in 1994.  It was the most exciting Olympics I remember watching.  Harding lived in Portland and regularly practiced at the ice rinks at the two major malls in the Portland area.  The Harding/Kerrigan drama was in the local news for months.  I remember being upset that Michelle Kwan didn't get to go to the Olympics that year.  She was an alternate, but she should have gone.  

Even though it's really dumb, I also enjoy Blades of Glory.  

My favorite Winter Olympics events are: Figure Skating (not ice dancing though! Blech! No jumps), Speed Skating, all the skiing events (except Cross Country), skeleton, luge, and I like the curling because it seems so silly--there's got to be more to it than it seems. 

I've long been fascinated by curling.  Not a big FAN of it, mind you, but I tune in when they compete because it still baffles me how points and such are scored, and how some spectators REALLY get into it.

I live just across the Detroit River from Windsor Ont. and have seen curling on Windsor's channel 9 for many a decade.  And, as slow moving sports go, I STILL find it more interesting than watching GOLF. ;)

And since that movie COOL RUNNINGS came out, I too, look in at the bobsled competition to see if Jamaica still has a team and how they do. ;)

My wife is the one who's more into figure skating. MY only interest in it is the costumes the women wear( ;) ) and to see if they'll EVER get a stadium of spectators who can actually clap their hands IN TIME with the music! :blink:

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I've long been fascinated by curling.  Not a big FAN of it, mind you, but I tune in when they compete because it still baffles me how points and such are scored, and how some spectators REALLY get into it.

I live just across the Detroit River from Windsor Ont. and have seen curling on Windsor's channel 9 for many a decade.  And, as slow moving sports go, I STILL find it more interesting than watching GOLF. ;)

And since that movie COOL RUNNINGS came out, I too, look in at the bobsled competition to see if Jamaica still has a team and how they do. ;)

My wife is the one who's more into figure skating. MY only interest in it is the costumes the women wear( ;) ) and to see if they'll EVER get a stadium of spectators who can actually clap their hands IN TIME with the music! :blink:

Sepiatone

At one of the Portland malls, there is a curling group (seemingly comprised of people ages 70+) that meets weekly.  It's fun to watch them practice.  I think that curling is played much like shuffleboard in that you have to push your disc into the farthest target, and if you can push your competitor's disc out of the way in the process, it's even better.  I believe that they're supposed to use the broom to influence the disc's path on the ice.  I think depending on how they sweep, they can make it go faster or slower.  

My favorite ice skating event is the pairs skating.  It's amazing how close the female skater's blade comes to her partner's face sometimes when she's being thrown into the air.  

14 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Wait, wait!  This is not idle chitter.  The Olympics have figured in movies (figured--get it?--figured).  There has been a skiing movie I can think of, and not too bad, Downhill Racer (1969).  There's been a bobsled movie, Cool Runnings (1992).  And--ok--figure skating movies.  And hockey, too.  But what about luge?  Or biathalon?  And no, there is no Olympic motorcycle racing--yet.

Nevertheless, the Winter Olympics will provide ample opportunity for diversion during this particularly dearthful Thirty-one Days of The Void.  So while the rest of you will be munching on Twice-Chewed Tales, I will be gorging on downhill, skeleton, super-g, and such, which, since they show these sports during the day, I will be able to record, then watch at evening, editing out the commercials.  Yum, yum.

I enjoy all the movies mentioned in this thread. They could do a day with some Sonja Henie films I bet. I remember my grandma always saying when they wanted to put Sonja in movies that they were continually trying to slim her down. Poor Sonja, a victim of the Hollywood skinny regime. I would have wished they also put on "The Bob Mathias Story" who as a two-time decathlon champ should really be seen particularly since he played himself in the film. How often do you get to see the real thing instead of an actor playing like he can do such grandiose things?

Greatest Winter Olympics movie ever?  
Miracle (2004).  End of discussion.  

And I don't even like hockey or Disney inspirational-sports Saint-Coach movies (although this one might have started out as a less corny ESPN movie, and Kurt Russell's character, like real coaches, is no saint).

• Like 1