Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A VAST WASTELAND

On 2/5/2018 at 7:37 PM, speedracer5 said:

In the world of crap like Duck Dynasty, Real Housewives..., Kardashians, The Bachelor, Vanderpump Rules, Honey Boo Boo, Honey Boo Boo's Mom, etc. and PBS is a vast wasteland??? 

PBS is fantastic.  Nova, American Masters, American Experience, the Ken Burns documentaries, Nature, all great.  In fact, right now I'm watching the "Sitcoms" episode of PBS' Pioneers of Television series.  I cannot comment on the children's programming because I don't watch it, but I did love Wishbone back in the day and I also used to watch Reading Rainbow.  

I also really like vanilla yogurt.  It's my favorite flavor. 

OMG! How can anyone say the Kardashians are not worthwhile to watch? Just because Clint Eastwood said the E-Channel is a waste of videotape? Why just last night I was watching a Kardashian marathon and Kim told Kourtney that she did not think Khloe's style was stylish, and Kim said she wanted to be her stylist and take many items out of Khloe's Kloset and archive them.

I learned the word "archive" just from watching that episode and watching and listening is the new reading ya know.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

OMG! How can anyone say the Kardashians are not worthwhile to watch? Just because Clint Eastwood said the E-Channel is a waste of videotape? Why just last night I was watching a Kardashian marathon and Kim told Kourtney that she did not think Khloe's style was stylish, and Kim said she wanted to be her stylist and take many items out of Khloe's Kloset and archive them.

I learned the word "archive" just from watching that episode and watching and listening is the new reading ya know.

For the longest time, I couldn't work out why a bunch of suspiciously humanoid aliens from the Alpha quadrant had suddenly become so popular outside the realm of Trekdom... 

c52b9e3672b355e5e60d3b026ec19e44--nerd-g

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 2/5/2018 at 7:37 PM, speedracer5 said:

In the world of crap like Duck Dynasty, Real Housewives..., Kardashians, The Bachelor, Vanderpump Rules, Honey Boo Boo, Honey Boo Boo's Mom, etc. and PBS is a vast wasteland??? 

PBS is fantastic.  Nova, American Masters, American Experience, the Ken Burns documentaries, Nature, all great.  In fact, right now I'm watching the "Sitcoms" episode of PBS' Pioneers of Television series.  I cannot comment on the children's programming because I don't watch it, but I did love Wishbone back in the day and I also used to watch Reading Rainbow.  

I also really like vanilla yogurt.  It's my favorite flavor. 

Don't forget "Independent Lens" either.  The only bad thing I can say about PBS is that in the last few years they have been airing what are thinly disguised infomercials, sometimes for days at a time. It's practically Suze Orman's second home. But this is probably due to the fact that the feds have so radically cut their funding. After all, payoffs to girls who have been groped by congress critters is a much better use of the people's taxes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

The only bad thing I can say about PBS is that in the last few years they have been airing what are thinly disguised infomercials, sometimes for days at a time. It's practically Suze Orman's second home.

Oh my, yes. Those informercials, most of which are repeated ad nauseum, are really tiresome. I understand why those fundraisers are so prevalent these days, but I wish the PBS stations could think of a less obnoxious way to raise money. The way the camera pans to individual audience members to show their reactions is really annoying. Ron Popiel did it better.

1 minute ago, Thenryb said:

Oh my, yes. Those informercials, most of which are repeated ad nauseum, are really tiresome. I understand why those fundraisers are so prevalent these days, but I wish the PBS stations could think of a less obnoxious way to raise money. The way the camera pans to individual audience members to show their reactions is really annoying. Ron Popiel did it better.

I do agree that the telethons are annoying--especially when they air during a program I am interested in.  Awhile back, they repeated the American Masters episode about Judy Garland.  I was excited because I like Judy and hadn't seen this episode.  I started watching it and for every ten minutes of show, there were about twenty minutes of pledge drives.  It was so irritating.  I ended up buying a the two-disc version of Easter Parade (even though I already had the one-disc version) because one of the special features was the American Masters episode about Judy.  I just wanted to see the special without the telethon.  My local PBS station, OPB, is in the middle of a pledge drive right now and interrupts the NPR programming.  I have to switch to my CD Player in order to avoid the OPB commercials.  The regular radio has too many commercials.  

Realize those involved hate the Telethons too. My former partner was the general manager of a PBS station and referred to them as "Beg-a-thons", everyone there loathed working them.

While I don't mind commercial spots for upcoming PBS shows, I am amazed when watching our local weekly politics show on PBS-TV there are commercials for law firms! Ambulance chasing type lawyers too.... "Hurt in an accident? Got a ticket? Call us!" I think I've also seen SUV commercials during Antiques Roadshow.

I don't know how PBS can justify that.
2 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Realize those involved hate the Telethons too. My former partner was the general manager of a PBS station and referred to them as "Beg-a-thons", everyone there loathed working them.

While I don't mind commercial spots for upcoming PBS shows, I am amazed when watching our local weekly politics show on PBS-TV there are commercials for law firms! Ambulance chasing type lawyers too.... "Hurt in an accident? Got a ticket? Call us!" I think I've also seen SUV commercials during Antiques Roadshow.

I don't know how PBS can justify that.

I've seen commercials for Draper and for Liberty Mutual on the three PBS channels I have access to - Maryland Public Television, HUT (Howard University Television), and WETA - but no ambulance chasers yet. I guess that they are just desperate for funds. The bad thing about the pledge drives is how ineffective they are. When an online entity puts up a paywall, as soon as I subscribe and pay, I have access to the information I want with no limit to articles. But whether I contribute to PBS or not, and regardless of when I do it, I'm going to sit through endless begging for bucks until PBS is scheduled to stop begging for bucks. I can remember as a kid in the 60s that there were very few pledge drives and zero commercials. I can only assume that this was because PBS was truly "public" in those days, with the government picking up the vast majority of the tab.

I suppose this might be too "political" for this page, but I view it as a paradox that the same politicos that p*** and moan about regulations for major corporations raise an equal hue and cry over PBS and NPR because THEY weren't "regulating" it and viewed the objective news reporting as "liberal biased"  and some such crap.  So instead of proving  their point and insisting on "equal time", instead, like little children, they tried to take their ball and go home.   I also don't see how the same people who enjoy the content on PBS, and pay big $$$ for the latest devices to watch it on can't spare a measly $10-$20 bucks a month to help keep it available. Now, I do know a few who'll claim they CAN'T afford that, but at the same time pay a cell phone bill in excess of $100 a month so that "Siri" can tell them what the weather is like outside or some such tripe. :blink:

Sepiatone

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I suppose this might be too "political" for this page, but I view it as a paradox that the same politicos that p*** and moan about regulations for major corporations raise an equal hue and cry over PBS and NPR because THEY weren't "regulating" it and viewed the objective news reporting as "liberal biased"  and some such crap.  So instead of proving  their point and insisting on "equal time", instead, like little children, they tried to take their ball and go home.   I also don't see how the same people who enjoy the content on PBS, and pay big $$$ for the latest devices to watch it on can't spare a measly $10-$20 bucks a month to help keep it available. Now, I do know a few who'll claim they CAN'T afford that, but at the same time pay a cell phone bill in excess of $100 a month so that "Siri" can tell them what the weather is like outside or some such tripe. :blink:

Sepiatone

I do give money to NPR  and PBS - I'm not sure if this remark is aimed at me to some degree or not - but I usually do it outside of the period of any pledge drives just to make a point. And I don't pay big $$$ for the latest devices, because I don't even have a cell phone. Or a debit card. I'm sure I'll be shot in any holdup because no hoodlum is going to believe that an adult in the 21st century has neither of these things. Not having any of these cool devices I get annoyed when my favorite sites get destroyed just so young people can access them with these cool devices. A laptop is all that I have. I'm really talking about imdb in this case. I haven't written a review there since they tore the site up December 10 with no warning. Oh, and while we're on the subject - and I am getting way off topic here - here is imdb's founder talking about his goals for imdb for 2018 - "One of our goals is to make advertising units which our customers will love."  Is this guy clueless as to why people use his site or what? Well, sorry for getting so OT.

• Like 3

That's OK. And I wasn't targeting anyone in particular, just generally.  But to BE specific, I could mention the nephew of mine who discontinued his cable service, complaining it was too costly( he was paying appx. $180 a month) and only watches shows and movies that he can "stream" on his phone and tablets and PC, which incidentally, he pays a combined fee of over $200 monthly!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

That's OK. And I wasn't targeting anyone in particular, just generally.  But to BE specific, I could mention the nephew of mine who discontinued his cable service, complaining it was too costly( he was paying appx. $180 a month) and only watches shows and movies that he can "stream" on his phone and tablets and PC, which incidentally, he pays a combined fee of over $200 monthly!  

Was he paying for his phone while he still had his cable service? Or did he not get a phone until after he canceled his cable. Most people have had cell/smart phones for years. I'm a social outlier for never having had one.

My cable bill is about $175 a month. That includes internet service. If I were to cancel the TV service, the bill would drop to about $50-$55 a month. If I streamed content, from say Netflix, that has a monthly rate of $10.99. I can stream things through my TV, my Blu-ray player, through my cable box, or on my laptop, so I don't need a phone to watch things. That means I could drop my monthly TV bill from $175 to ~$66 a month. Even if I add a few more streaming services, that would still be under a hundred a month. So I understand why some people are cutting cable/dish services.

I think that bill mentioned is combined with other companies along with his phone service.  The monthly charge for having cell phone service, along with other fees and taxes, and payment on the cost of various devices.  And somehow( I too, am not sure how all that works) gets separate bills for various things he uses those devices for.  Add them all together they exceed what his cable bill was.

I pay about what you do, and that's including the cost of TV, internet and phone service to my "landline" house phone(Yeah, I still use one of those.)plus the fees for two of those little adapters for two smaller sets in other rooms.  My cell phone bill is only $30 as I only have an old "flip" phone which only makes and receives calls.  Which is all I ever use it for.

And because all those bills for various services my nephew uses for his phone comes separately, he doesn't somehow see them as being one "expense" and has convinced himself that he's actually saving money.

Sepiatone

• Like 1