Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can't wait until Zasu Pitts is the Star of the Month

zasupittsfan

I regard Zasu Pitts a comic genius--and vastly underated --I posted a thread on the movie

Mexican Spitfire at Sea because of Miss Pitts great comic performance--in the movie the cast thinks her character is hard-of hearing so they shout their lines to her at full volume and she

shows her perfect comic sense by not reacting at all--which makes the scene even funnier-

I also remember her on the old Gale Storm series Oh! Sussanah.

She was quite funny in that film, and I liked it when she briefly faked an English accent. I am convinced that she is a great actress in general, but with a special gift for comedic roles. My favorite comedy of hers of which she was the star was a 1934 film called "Sing and Like It".

The MEXICAN SPITFIRE films didn't win me over too much, other than they were an interesting series. But it was Zasu's appearance and performance in AT SEA that made me appreciate that movie more than others.

I am now hoping these SPITFIREs will return to TCM one day so I can re-watch them and maybe catch something I didn't on first viewing.

Zasu is terrifically under-represented on the DVD shelves.

I would like to see the short films that ZaSu Pitts did W./ Thelma Todd! (I have heard her name was commonly mispronounced as "Zazz-oo" but it is clearly pronounced on-screen (by Todd) as "ZAY-sue;" her name was also consistently pronounced "ZAY-sue" during her recurrent guest appearances on Fibber McGee and Molly's show in 1939.

Interesting bit of Trivia about Zasu Pitts:

Was an excellent cook and a collector of candy recipes, which culminated into a cookbook entitled "Candy Hits" by ZaSu Pitts which was published posthumously in 1963. I have been hunting for this foir years! No luck on Ebay!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings