Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Osborne, 60's TV Star

ChipHeartsMovies

I had read that Robert Osborne was a Desilu contract player in the early 60's --- but was surprised to find out he had a small role in the pilot for "The Beverly Hillbillies." He was apparently offered a reprising role on the series as an assistant to the banker (Mr. Drysdale), but turned it down as he thought the series was too offbeat to succeed. Of course, it became one of the longest-running sitcoms of the decade.

And surprise --- it's one of the episodes that lapsed into public domain, so you can see it on many websites streaming for free. It's Season One, Episode One, called "The Clampetts Strike Oil." Robert O. is in one scene --- about 2/3 of the way into the episode. He comes into Mr. Drysdale's office. He was a VERY handsome young guy, and you'll recognize him immediately.

Like I said, it is in the public domain and available lots of places. I watched it at:

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/

Fred, what a GREAT clip.

Since Fred didn't give any hints in his post, I'll let you all know Fred's link was to a 70's Dinah Shore talk show clip Robert Osborne did alongside Olivia DeHavilland & Shelley Winters. He (Robert, not Fred) was promoting his first Oscar book. It's GREAT ... is this the earliest shot we get seeing Robert O in his future role as TCM host?

Thanks, Fred, for sharing this --- I had no idea it was out there, and all us TCM-ers will love seeing it.

I just viewed the clip of Robert Osborne ("Bob" Osborne in the credits) in the Beverly Hillbillies episode. Your right, he is immediately recognizable, right down to his body language. I'm glad to have this bit of information on our host who I consider a classy gentleman.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings