Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shout out to all Vivien leigh fans

ric2006

Hii Vivling nation..just wanted to see if you TCM fans would like to start a rapport. My email is ncknight05@yahoo.com. I am helping book a play by playwright Rick Foster that is all about Vivien. Its called Vivien Leigh..The Play. The play and the actress are superb. Just played in San Fran. Let me hear from you guys...ok? Will be playing in Phillie this winter.

Ric n Concord,NC

Message was edited by: ric2006

Message was edited by: ric2006

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know GWTW is like the "I love Vivien Leigh" cliche, but it is so well remembered because she was amazing in it. I could watch it every day and still not get sick of it. I also find myself sympathizing with Scarlett because of the way Vivien played her. She can have me bawling like a baby with scenes like her returning to Tara to find her father has lost it, and have me laughing the next minute when she tries to run away from Rhett during the charity dance but instead gets her veil caught on the lattice. Just amazing! I also like that the film shows that the Civil War wasn't all about slavery - I mean, only the extremely wealthy could afford slaves, and we in the south have always been, uh, below the normal income level, so to speak. It shows that people were fighting for a way of life, not the right to have slaves, and also the aftermath of war. And I cannot even comment on this film without giving a shoutout to Hattie McDaniel, who is absolutely brilliant. I would love to have had her as my "mammy", that's for sure. I like how the film also shows that it was often a slave like her who raised the children, more so than actual parents.

But back on topic, hehe. I'd like to see this play about Vivien, and I'm certain it would bring me to tears. It absolutely kills me to know that she was suffering from depression, and passed away alone. I am glad though, that she graced us all with her presence in such amazing films, and these films stand as a testament to how great an actress she was. I don't know that there will ever be another one like her - she is in her own class, not to mention being one of the most beautiful women on the planet, ever. If GWTW doesn't convince you, Waterloo Bridge certainly will.

Hi Rachel,

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your comments about Viv. She's my favorite actress and part of the reason is because she did seem to bring so much of herself, or at least her emotions---which were overflowing---to each and every role. No part was too complicated for her, either. She gave everything she had to her two great passions: acting and Olivier.

I simply long for a complete (as possible) box set of her films.

MissG

vivschoolgirl.jpg

Hii Viv fans. Lets all let Robert Osborn know that we would like to see Viv as a Star of the month. I did send him an email about that subject but he cites the small number of films that are available with her in them. P'shaw is what i say to that. Or if it was Viv ..she would have said.."Fiddle dee F_ _ _. LOL. I really enjoyed the Hedy Lamar movies and she made about as many as Vivling and they still made her star of the month. I think Viv and Hedy couldve been mistaken as sisters..what do you alll think?

Ric n NC

I do agree something should be arranged to honor her as Star of the Month. It is difficult I know, because TCM may not have access to all of her very few movies, so a lot of "filler" would have to be considered (documentaries, there are a couple if you include making GWTW).

TCM once split up a month between John Wayne and Kate Hepburn, so perhaps something like that could be done? They could split the month between *Viv* and Olivier, perhaps.

Rachelectro: "I also like that the film shows that the Civil War wasn't all about slavery - I mean, only the extremely wealthy could afford slaves, and we in the south have always been, uh, below the normal income level, so to speak. It shows that people were fighting for a way of life, not the right to have slaves, and also the aftermath of war."

Yeah...a way of life that included owning slaves. Only the rich had slaves?? Since there were more poor folks than rich, those odds don't explain why so many owned or used slaves. I won't go off on a racial tirade since this IS about the great Vivien Leigh. But some of your comments did give me pause.

That said, Vivien Leigh is incomparable as Scarlett and Blanche and in "Waterloo Bridge." She exhibited steely fragility to me, and she was gorgeous. She must have fainted when she saw her image in "GWTW." Saw a little of "Wuthering Heights" and Olivier was dashingly painfully handsome. I can see Viv's obsession with Larry.

No doubt I am giving my shout out to the great Vivien Leigh.

Hii AvaG

I had written you an email but when I tried to use the spellcheck I had to remove my pop up blocker and when I did it deleted my email ..so here I go again. Janis Stevens has always been the actress in this play to play Vivien. Rick Foster is the playwright...and may I add Mr Foster is one of the nicest people you could ever get to know. He is dedicated in bringing Vivien to broadway and other venues and has had excellant revues to boot. The website i think is www.viventheplay.com. If you or anyone would like to talk about Vivien anytime please feel free to call me @ 704-782-6701 any day between 10pm & midnight EST/EDT.

Sincerely

RIc Starnes

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings