Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tv/movie couples who should have been married

butterscotchgreer

i would like to chat about the couple i thought should have gotten married.

jessica and seth in murder, she wrote

perry mason and his secretary in the more modern perry mason series

That Girl couple

i cant think of many others right now, but im sure they will pop into my head later. april a little help please. heehee!

What an inspired idea for a thread, T! :D

Here are some movie couples (or "just friends") that didn't get together either by choice or by fate, much to my chagrin:

John Wayne and Vera Miles in *The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance*

Walter Pidgeon and Maureen O'Hara in *How Green Was My Valley*

Norman Foster and Marian Nixon in *Pilgrimage*

Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in *Roman Holiday*

Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly in *High Society*

Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor in *Waterloo Bridge*

William Holden and Jennifer Jones in *Love is a Many Splendored Thing*

Ava Gardner and Humphrey Bogart in *The Barefoot Contessa*

Bette Davis and George Brent in *Jezebel*

Bette Davis and Paul Henreid in *Now, Voyager*

Bette Davis and Charles Boyer in *All This, And Heaven, Too*

Welcome back, Sweet T! We've missed you!

This is a serious spoiler thread. Miss G has ruined about ten films for me already.

From television, I'll go with Matt Dillon and Miss Kitty. The two understood each other extremely well and their respect for each other was supreme. They would do anything for each other. Matt was especially protective of Miss Kitty. He never wanted to see her hurt.

And you probably should know who my "film couple that should have been married" choice is. Yes, fate just wouldn't accept their undying love. It kept spitting them out.

peteribbetson1.jpg

peteribbetson2.jpg

So many interesting choices. Those that pop into my head (must be Kismet) are:

TV

"Little Buddy" Gilligan (Bob Denver) and The Movie Star (Tina Louise)

Bob Collins (Robert Cummings) and Charmaine "Schultzy" Schultz (Ann B. Davis)

Movies

Skip McCoy (Richard Widmark) and "Moe" Williams (Thelma Ritter)

Hank Quinlan (Orson Welles) and Tanya (Marlene Dietrich)

Brandon Shaw (John Dall) and Phillip Morgan (Farley Granger)

Miss G has ruined about ten films for me already.

Ha ha! T, I guess you should say SERIOUS SPOILER alert somewhere in the title or first post!

Frank, I thought most men reacted with relief when a relationship doesn't end in marriage! ;)

William Powell & Myrna Loy

Tippie Hendren(SP) and Rod Taylor

Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman

Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers

Cary Grant & Eva from North by Northwest

James Stewart and Kim Novak - Vertigo

James Stewart & Barbara Bel Geddes also in Vertigo

Gregory Peck & Ingrid Bergman in Spellbound

Larry Hagman & Linda Gray - Dallas

Patrick Duffy & Victoria Principle in Dallas

James Caan & Kathy Bates - so Misery would have company

Leslie Nielsen and Priscilla Presley - Naked Gun

King Kong & Fay Wray

Janet Leight and Tony Perkins

Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins

Jason Voorhees and Freddy Kruegar

Christopher Reeve & Margot Kidder - Superman

Christopher Reeve and Michael Kane - Deathtrap

HHH & Stephanie McMahon (oh wait they are married!!!)

I just had to be creative...one more just for laughs

Mrs Cooper and Coopers Girl & Gary Cooper :) 3 way marriage

None of these were couples in REEL Life...well not married couples...

Enjoy the list anyway

Message was edited by: dsclassic

April you hit it right on the spot by the way.

how could i forget How Green Was My Valley?!!! my walter didnt get married to Maureen O'Hara at the end. i cried to that, and to Roman Holiday especially. it wasnt fair that Audrey Hepburn had to go and leave him in that car in the alley. i was yelling at the screen the whole time, "gregory run after her, what are you doing?!"

i will make a list a little bit. im still thinking up a nice and long one. heehee!

you know i had always been so mad that loretta young and clark gable didnt get together in Call of the Wild. i have only watched it a few times b/c of that.

Warning: I Will Be Getting Seriously Spoiled Rotten:

What??? They didn't get together? I mean, I know they REALLY got together but are you saying they REELY didn't end up together? I honestly didn't remember that...does she die or something? I know this is one movie I did watch until the end, several times, but why do I not remember the ending being sad....that's....just wrong.

Hi, Mrs. Valentino -- How did you slip past the guard? I told him never to open the gate for you; ever again. What did you do to him? I know you couldn't have charmed him because you ain't got charm. :P:P

I prefer to think of those two 'married' in the afterlife.

How can I say this in a language you would understand? How 'bout this:

gonewiththewind7.jpg

Certainly they are living happily ever after.

It's the only way I can accept the ending of PETER IBBETSON.

Damn. I say that because I agree with you; Gogo and Mimsey are living happily ever after in the afterlife. I focused on the word "married" in Butterscotchy's post. I also believe Miss G's follow-up posting of "fate" applies to Gogo and Mimsey.

Okay, here's why you don't want to be on this board: I'm going to smack you. If two people were not married in the "here" life, can they be married in the afterlife? Can Matt Dillon and Miss Kitty live happily ever after together in the afterlife if they are the other's true love?

What's that? Ohhh. The ignore button is on the left. Miss G can tell you how it works.

Bonjour, Miss Goddess -- Frank, I thought most men reacted with relief when a relationship doesn't end in marriage!

Ohh, sure. That's a given. ALL of us men HATE marriage with a passion. We call it the "M" word. :P I'm sure ChiO will agree with me on this one. What do those Irish blokes tell you at the pub? What? There's not much talking going on? I gotcha... and soooooo do they.

If you need to get a hold of me, I'll be in my very warm and friendly lonely place, relieved that I'm not married. :)

Hiya, Sweet T! -- You get an exclamation point because the other two "ladies" constantly stick their tongues out at me. I know you would never do that to me. Although, why is it that your box is rejecting my messages? Am I in that big of trouble with you? Uh-oh.

Here's another "married" couple:

ghostandmrsmuir1.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir2.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir3.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir4.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir5.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir6.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir7.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir8.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir9.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir10.jpg

I'm not sure I can accept you and Rudy's ever-so-gracious invitation, Mrs. V. I just don't see any connection between me and the Cat. Sorry.

tocatchathief9.jpg

So where are your "should of have been married" choices, Mrs. Valentino? Let me guess, Kirk and Uhuru.

Enjoyed this thread, but I have always had a philosophical question about "The Ghost and Mrs.Muir"; Mrs. Muir was a widow, she had a dead husband; wasn't she then "cheating" by being with another dead guy? I always thought that she should've been divorced, just to make sense out of it. Just asking....

And the end of "Now, Voyager" is perfect to me. I don't think Charlotte and Gerry should ever get married. It would kill the romance. Let's keep up the tension on these stories.

I could easily see Gene & Rex as a couple..both were great together& seemed to have great chemistry..wonder how they got along??

But my pick is Gene Tierney & Tyrone Power as a couple in real life...now that would have been awesome, and think of the Gorgeous babies they would have made! FG

wallpaper_tierney_lg.jpg

wallpaper_razorsedge02_large.jpg

wallpaper_sonoffury_0002_large.jpg

hey pktrekgirl!

i cant believe i forgot about my sweetie pie's Peter Ibbetson!!!! i am ashamed to call myself family!

i always cry b/c my gary doesnt get with ann harding at the end. they just dream, but it never comes true until theyre like dead. it is horrible!! but it has to be one of the best romances of all time, it really just tells you something, it is defi nitely a work of art. :)

frankiefurter, of course i would never stick my tongue out at you....unless you were a naughty boy, then i would just have to, but then you know im still playing with ya. heehee! by the way i love those pics of rex harrison and gene tierney. that is one great movie! i have seen it dozens of times.

hey big sis! is it time for tea yet? im real thirsty for my english tea!! heehee!

i cant believe you dont remember the end of Call of the wild!!! now im ashamed of you. heehee! she doesnt die, but do you remember how everyone thought her husband died early on in the movie, well he came back at the end just as clark and her were falling in love with eac other. that just ruined it for me!! normally i would love the fact that the husband comes back, but i really didnt know who that actor was originally when i first saw it at grandmama's house, plus i didnt see it coming. i had already gotten all mushy with loretta and clark falling in love before that happened.

Hi, Mr. Happily Married to THE Greek Goddess -- I checked with The

Greek Goddess, Mrs. ChiO, and my official position is that I love marriage (at

least the second time around) and that I have never been happier in my life.

No! It can't be! Don't tell me a guy actually likes marriage. This is preposterous.

Well, good for you ChiO. Just don't use the "M" word around me. I'm a relieved

guy, or so I've been told. :)

It was either professing that or eating nothing but cheezborgas at the Goat's until

Lent begins.

:D The Goat's? I bet that's near Wrigley Field.

Hey, Casablanca Lover -- Enjoyed this thread, but I have always had a

philosophical question about "The Ghost and Mrs.Muir"; Mrs. Muir was a widow,

she had a dead husband; wasn't she then "cheating" by being with another dead

guy? I always thought that she should've been divorced, just to make sense out

of it. Just asking....

That's an interesting philosphical question and I have no idea how to square it, either.

So are you going to name Rick & Ilsa?

How's it goin', Forever Gene? -- But my pick is Gene Tierney & Tyrone Power

as a couple in real life...now that would have been awesome, and think of the Gorgeous

babies they would have made! FG

More Gene Tierney! I love the pairing of Gene and Ty. It rivals Liz and Monty for me.

Howdy, Sweet T(exan) -- frankiefurter, of course i would never stick my tongue

out at you....unless you were a naughty boy

Naughty? Me? Never! I didn't attend finishing school like some others around here

who shall remain shameless.

The young couple in Destiny is another choice for me. It's yet another fate

and afterlife film.

destiny1.jpg

destiny2.jpg

destiny3.jpg

destiny4.jpg

destiny5.jpg

destiny6.jpg

destiny7.jpg

destiny9.jpg

destiny8.jpg

destiny10.jpg

destiny12.jpg

destiny11.jpg

Hi sister Tea! How funny, just as I was writing that my boss offered me some of his Irish tea, ha!

I remember now that the husband came back, but I thought he was conveniently killed and out of the way afterward, non? Just my wishful (bloodthirsty) thinking again.

goodmorning frank...i mean fritz lang darlin'. heehee!!

you know im ashamed to say that i have never seen Destiny. maybe i should see that one, should i frankie?

Naughty? Me? Never! I didn't attend finishing school like some others around here

who shall remain shameless.

ah-ha! i caught you once again.....naughty naughty boy! heehee!

Hi sister Tea! How funny, just as I was writing that my boss offered me some of his Irish tea, ha!

I remember now that the husband came back, but I thought he was conveniently killed and out of the way afterward, non? Just my wishful (bloodthirsty) thinking again.

hey sister tea back. heehee!

well now that you have been offered some good ol' irish tea, let us continue this festive occasion. i am having some english rose tea at the moment. i will make some ham and turkey sandwhiches cut into little tea triangles. heehee! now all we need is a dessert.....where is that fudge you promised? ;)

okay i have thought about it for awhile, i know i am stil missing many, but here is my list so far:

anna and the king of siam

call of the wild

peter ibbetson

christmas eve(loretta young and trevor howard)

farmer's daughter(ethel barrymore and charles bickford)

the girl in white(junie allyson and arthur kennedy)

the hanging tree(okay they should have gotten married in it)

i could go on singing

how green was my valley

mary of scotland(kate hepburn married the wrong guy!!!)

maltese falcon

brief encounter

roman holiday

on a clear day you can see forever(they never actually say if barbra gets with anyone, but i thought she was going to get with yves montand)

rooster cogburn(kate and the duke)

right cross(junie got with the wrong guy, she was suppose to get with richard powell!)

suez(okay loretta should have married tyrone ,ty shouldnt have gotten with annabella)

ill think of more later. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings