Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thank You TCM

daddysprimadonna

I agree Daddy'sPD...this has been a great day and I only wish I had recorded some of Marion's movies. She was such a talented lady and seemed so kind and genuine. I've always wanted to see more of her movies and I wish I hadn't flubbed this opportunity. I especially am eager to see her movies with director King Vidor.

Gone With Wind is the gigantic cherry on top of today's sundae.

I wish I'd noticed in time to record them also :( Marion Davies was so feminine in appearance, and so fun to know, it seems-her smile was the epitome of "winsome".

Then two epic stories that include love stories--I'm going to have fun watching in front of a roaring fire-hot chocolate at the ready-what a cozy night in store :)

I was never a fan of Marion Davies. Didn't have a real reason other than what I learned from "Citizen Kane." But then I saw the documentary...and learned about the real Marion Davies. And I saw a taste of what I've been missing. And I felt bad I misjudged her.

But the cherry on top of tonite's viewing will be "Gone With the Wind." And let's not forget "Love Affair" afterwards. And let's hope that great love story "The Terminator II" will be shown soon.

Don't sit too close to the fire Prima...

I've never seen "Love Affair" that I'm aware of, I'll have to check it out.

I watched most of Zhivago in the tub, I'm going to watch GWTW by the fire...it's one of the rare nights that get cold enough here to even have a fire, so my "roaring" is pretty relative, to a fire Up North, I imagine, hehe. It'll be perfect for the Christmas scenes at Aunt PittyPat's in Atlanta!

I always remember Mr Larry from the message board here saying something to the effect (if I understood him correctly) that Irene Dunne wasn't overly enamored of children, and I always feel, from that, that she would be a woman after my own heart.

I like Charles Boyer, but having seen him in "Gaslight" always destroys the illusion of him being a romantic lover-type. I get to wondering what he's really up to when he's romancing a woman.

I enjoyed the documentary on Davies as well.

What was particularly nice is that the documentary had a better print of the Technicolor sequence from The Floradora Girl than the print that TCM showed a few hours early, which only had shades of yellow, and just a tiny hint of a bit of green and pink.

Davies' costumes at the beginning of the movie also screamed for two-strip Technicolor.

Not the greatest movie ever made, and certainly creaky by today's standards, but still enjoyable to watch.

Oh, that, and I spotted another sequence from the TCM "Silent Sunday Nights" intro as being taken from Show People.

Nah, that wouldn't make you evil. What would make you evil is if you said Garbo sucks...or TCM should show newer films or...nah, you're not evil. The kids are a bit too much. Whatever you do, you don't want to see Beatty & Bening's version of the film. Now THAT'S evil.

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

"A fiiine for-um, my friend, this is, a fiine for-um, with no-hisses???"

OK, Fred Astaire, but you might enjoy the remake of, "3:10 to Yuma." I thought it was a great movie, and better than the original ... gasp!!! It comes out on DVD next week. Rent it and I'll bet you'll like it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings