Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top 5 Hitchcock films

konway87

Hi Everyone,

What are your Top 5 Hitchcock films? Here are mine.

1) Suspicion (1941)

2) Shadow of A Doubt (1943)

3) Psycho (1960)

4) Rebecca (1940)

5) Under Capricorn (1949)

TCM is also going to broadcast The Paradine Case on January 6 at 2 pm. I wrote this, because this is a film that is very hard to find.

Back to the subject, what are your favorite top 5 Hitchcock films?

I don't know that these are the top films, but my personal favorites would be:

ROPE (1948)

VERTIGO (1958)

SHADOW OF A DOUBT (1943)

SABOTAGE (1936)

MARNIE (1964)

Hard to pick just five. I also love SPELLBOUND (1945) very much and often feel it unfairly sits in NOTORIOUS' shadow when I think it's definitely it's equal if not a better film. LIFEBOAT (1944) is another underappreciated classic, and I also have strong feelings for THE WRONG MAN (1957). THE SECRET AGENT (1936) is another little gem that should be mentioned as well. Rats, I just named five more didn't I?

I have added many more Hitchcock films to my Netflix queue I really want to see them all or as many as I can. I am a Hitchcock fan :)

To name some I want to see

Torn Curtain

Trouble with Harry

Jamaica Inn

Lodger

Man Who Knew Too Much - original

Lifeboat

Under Capricorn

Murder

Netflix doesnt have Rebecca but I have a store that carries it, its expensive to get right now if you want the Criterion version so I will wait awhile to see it anyway

Message was edited by: dsclassic

What's up, DSClassic?

Torn Curtain -- I think you'll like moments in this film but not enough to really like.

Trouble with Harry -- I think this is going to be a dud with you.

Jamaica Inn -- I don't think this be will your speed.

Lodger -- If you like silent films, I think you'll like it.

Man Who Knew Too Much - original -- It's pretty good. I think you'll give it a passing grade.

Lifeboat -- Stagey, but interesting. I much prefer Hitch's other "stagey" films: Rope and Dial M for Murder.

Under Capricorn -- Konway has helped me appreciate this film more, but I think you'll really dislike it.

Murder -- Good opening and ending, but the middle drags.

Rebecca -- I like Rebecca but I don't love it like others do. I kinda doubt it's your speed.

So there you have it. Those are my calls.

Have you seen Blackmail? Blackmail is my third favorite film from Hitch's "British" (early) era. It's the first British talkie.

blackmail1.jpg

Hi Frank, your predictions are always appreciated...I tend to agree with them, but we will see, I feel the desire to watch them since Ive seen about 80-90% of Hitchs films save the ones I mentioned. I may as well try them ...

I like the way you give predicts - without all the heavy insight, just things like it drags, but you will like a few scenes...I like that you keep it simple as thats why I usually do, simply I like it or dont like it :)

In a weird way I hope I dont like them that way I wont buy them, I buy the ones I really like..

I will watch and get back to you when I do them..

Right now I am doing some select Criterion movies, a few other odds and ends in the scifi/horror genre then Hitchcock & a few Gary Cooper..and the Godfather is also going up on my queue as well

I am tempted to bump the Hitchcock movies due to my curiosity, and if I do happen to like them I can afford them, as opposed to the Criterion ones I want to see...

I havent seen Blackmail

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Hey, DSC -- Hi Frank, your predictions are always appreciated...I tend to agree with them, but we will see, I feel the desire to watch them since Ive seen about 80-90% of Hitchs films save the ones I mentioned. I may as well try them ...

I won't let the opinions of others stop me from watching a film. I'd rather form my own opinion. I'm sure you are the same. I hope you do watch all of Hitch's "available" films in time. I've seen 49 of his 53 films. I own all but one of those 49 films on DVD.

I had low expectations prior to my viewings of his British films, but I ended up liking the majority of them. They are nowhere near as polished as his Hollywood output, but Hitchcock's visual brilliance and dark wit is still ever present. I actually like a lot of Hitch's more playful films, like Secret Agent, Rich and Strange, and The Farmer's Wife. I also really like The Manxman. It's a great "triangle" silent. The only real stinkers for me are The Skin Game and Juno and the Paycock. Both of them are far too talkative. You'd never believe they were Hitchcockian offerings.

If you or anyone else is interested in exploring Hitch's British canon, I suggest buying the Ultimate Hitchcock Collection DVD. It contains every one of his available Region 1 films with the exception of Murder!.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hitchcock-Collection-6pc-Alfred/dp/B000M5KA44/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199510970&sr=1-6

Right now I am doing some select Criterion movies, a few other odds and ends in the scifi/horror genre then Hitchcock & a few Gary Cooper..and the Godfather is also going up on my queue as well

I have been impressed with your voracious film viewing appetite. You are absolutely rolling. Some of us around here could take a cue from you. Uhhh, I shall remain nameless. I suggest you watch more Gary Cooper films. You'll find a captive audience after your viewings. ;)

I couldn't help but reply to this thread when the name "Rebecca" caught my eye. I had just seen this film a couple days ago, and wow. I love Joan Fontaine and I came across this little behind-the-scenes fact and thought I'd share:

"The first film Alfred Hitchcock made in Hollywood and the only one that won a Best Picture Oscar.

Because star Laurence Olivier wanted his then-girlfriend Vivien Leigh to play the lead role, he treated Joan Fontaine horribly. This shook Joan Fontaine up quite a bit, so Alfred Hitchcock decided to capitalize on this by telling her EVERYONE on the set hated her, thus making her shy and uneasy on the set - just what Alfred Hitchcock wanted from her performance"

Teresa Wright is my favorite actress. Joan Fontaine is my second favorite. I liked Tippi Hedren's performance in Marnie too.

According to IMDB Trivia, Joan Fontaine liked the character of Lina in Suspicion (1941) so much that she sent Alfred Hitchcock a note after she read the novel ("Before the Fact", by Anthony Berkeley) offering to play the part for free, if necessary.

Its brilliant to see Hitchcock comparing the relationship between Joseph Cotten and Dracula in Shadow of A Doubt (1943).

"Notorious?! You?! I thought that wasn't one of your faves."

I do like how the film is constructed, I was having a problem with Cary being so mean. I so hate Ingrid Bergman being tortured in films (so I have a hard time with "Gaslight" too...can't see that one again). But in the scheme of all of Hitchcock's films, I have to admit I do put it among my favorites.

As for birthdays...mine's is January 18th. Maybe there's another Capricorn on board?

Don't know why I always forget one of my favorites: SABOTEUR. What an excellent bit of propaganda-as-entertainment. The destruction of a war plant, the accusation of an innocent man, a road trip across the country featuring many of our proudest sites, the discovery of evil in the most civilized America and the grand finale on the statue of liberty. Wow!

The only fault I find with the film is a hasty ending, but other than that,it's superior entertainment.

While many people prefer THE 39 STEPS or NORTH BY NORTHWEST, SABOTEUR remains my favorite of Hitchcock's "Wronged Man on the Run" trilogy. There is so much to see in this film that it really needs to be viewed a couple of times to appreciate everything within it's frames. An interesting work (and virtual tour of the U.S.) that more people should be familar with.

I agree. Saboteur (1942) is brilliant. Many people say Robert Cummings was dull. But I disagree with them. I think he tried his best. That is why I still enjoy the film.

There was a photo of Robert Cummings drawing Hitchcock on a paper. Hitchcock enjoyed working with Cummings, because he was a light comedian. Hitchcock always appreciated humor.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings