Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top 5 Hitchcock films

konway87

French DVD Version and Italian DVD Versions are very close to Hitchcock's Under Capricorn in Cinematography. It has a nightmarish effect to it.

American Version doesn't have the nightmarish feel. Here are the links to compare.

Here is the American Version of Under Capricorn.

http://161.112.232.203/hitch/captures/4401_005546.jpg

Here is the French Version.

http://161.112.232.203/hitch/captures/4403_005328.jpg

My 5:

1. Notorious

Incredible suspense, great cast, how underrated is Claude Rains?

2. Strangers on a Train

Without this there would be no "Throw Momma from the Train"

3. Frenzy

His last great film....

4. North by Northwest

Just too gorgeous with all the locales not to love.

5. Rear Window

Copied today in everything from commercials to sitcoms to remakes....

It's hard to pick just 5....

Anyone think "Family Plot" is the worst.

I don't know I liked "Family Plot"!

"Stage Fright" was a little weak! The false falshback threw me for a loop! Marlene Dietrich just rocked the film!

The film I thought was Hitchcock's worst was "Torn Curtain"! Paul Newman as a professor and rocket science was kinda laughable, there was no chemistry between Julie Andrews and Paul Newman a well!

"Shadow of a Doubt" always gives me chills!!

SPOILERS

I think Stage Fright can be considered as an experimental film. Hitchcock wanted to make a film on "point of views." So he made Stage Fright (1950). I think this same technique was used in The Usual Suspects (1995).

I thought Torn Curtain was ok. There are some good scenes in the film. According to Hitchcock, there were lots of problems with the script. Universal didn't agree with Hitchcock's ideas. So many of Hitchcock's ideas weren't used, because of the interference by Universal Executives.

Here are the lists of problems.

1) Hitchcock wanted Eva Marie Saint for the leading female role. But Universal Executives forced him to cast Julie Andrews.

2) In the Book "Its only a movie", Hitchcock said like this about Torn Curtain's ending - "THERE WAS AN ENDING written for Torn Curtain", Hitchcock said "which wasn't used , but I rather liked it. No one agreed with me except my colleague at home (Alma). Everyone told me that you couldn't have a letdown ending after all that. "Newman would have thrown the formula away. After what he has gone through, after everything we have endured with him, he just tosses it. It speaks to the futility of all, and its in keeping with the kind of naivete of the character, who is no professional spy and who will certainly retire from that nefarious business."

3) Universal executives poisoned Hitchcock's mind against Herrmann. Hitchcock and Herrmann enjoyed working together in studios like MGM, Warner Bros, and Paramount. But when they came to Universal, the problems began because of the interference of Universal Executives. Universal Executives originally disliked Herrmann's music score for Marnie. Thanks to Hitchcock, the score was used in the film.

4) According to the book "Hitch: The Life and Times of Alfred Hitchcock", Hitchcock was unsatisfied with Brian Moore's Screenplay. So Hitchcock brought in Keith Waterhouse and Willis Hall to do a rewrite job on it. Their contribution to the Screenplay was considerable enough for Hitchcock to feel strongly that they should receive screen credit. But Brian Moore disputed this, and an adjudication by the Screenwriters Guild gave him sole credit, to Hitchcock's irritation. So we can see that Brian Moore's screenplay was an unshootable script.

5) Hitchcock directed a scene showing actor Wolfgang Kieling, who played Gromek, also playing Gromek's brother was cut. In it he shows Michael Armstrong (Paul Newman), who has just killed Gromek, a picture of Gromek's three children. It was believed that this would have shifted audience sympathy away from Newman to the dead man. Unfortunately, a close-up of the brother cutting a sausage with a knife similar to the one used in the murder, a characteristically Hitchcockian shot, was removed from the film. Hitchcock removed this scene from the film, because one of the major reasons was the ending Hitchcock wanted wasn't used.

I have a question for everyone. I uploaded 3 different versions of Under Capricorn in Powerpoint Presentation. Its only 4 MB.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3CDAD81D2C7F60D2

French Version is the left picture. American Version is the right picture. And Italian Version is the picture at the bottom. According to the research, Italian version is very close to Hitchcock's Original Version.

But which version will you pick? As for me, I pick Italian Version.

Also with "Torn Curtain" the film caused some controversy for its somewhat racy (for the era) scenes featuring star Julie Andrews, who had recently made several successful family films for The Walt Disney Company. The criticism concerned the depiction of the two lead characters sharing the same bed in a romantic context although they were not married, which had never been allowed under the Production Code which began on July 1, 1934.

Also did you ever notice that Paul Newman misspells the Danish word for Copenhagen when he answers the radiogram by writing Kobenavn; the correct spelling is K?benhavn.

Hi, Konway -- Great stuff on Torn Curtain. I actually saw Torn Curtain for the very first time earlier this year. It was one of the last Hitch films that I watched. It was a little better than I expected but it's still a rather ordinary Hitch offering for me.

But which version will you pick? As for me, I pick Italian Version.

I like the French version. It's a nice mix of dark and light.

Hola, Miss Goddess -- I just read that they are remaking Easy Virtue with Jessica Biel.

That's very interesting. Easy Virtue is definitely a Hitch film that can be remade and/or updated.

Easy Virtue

easyvirtue1.jpg

easyvirtue3.jpg

easyvirtue2.jpg

easyvirtue4.jpg

easyvirtue5.jpg

easyvirtue6.jpg

easyvirtue7.jpg

easyvirtue8.jpg

easyvirtue9.jpg

easyvirtue10.jpg

easyvirtue11.jpg

easyvirtue12.jpg

easyvirtue13.jpg

What do you think about Hitchcock's The Lodger (1927)? I consider The Lodger as one of the best silent films ever made.

Although there is a happy ending shown in the film, still I think it is an open ending. You can pick your choice. Is he the avenger or not? There isn't a single evidence to prove that the lodger's story about his past and his sister is true. So it is upto the audience to pick the choice.

Although Hitchcock's original ending was changed, still Hitchcock implied throughout the film that the lodger is Jack the Ripper.

I thought the black and white version of the Lodger released by St. Clair Vision in 2005 was brilliant. I found the music in this version similar to Music in Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of A Doubt (1943).

I have a question for everyone. How many Hitchcock silent films have you seen? And What do you think about them? Here are mine.

1. The Lodger

2. Downhill

3. Easy Virtue

The Lodger and Downhill are my favorites. Hitchcock was dissatisfied with Easy Virtue.

Hi, Konway -- You've seen Downhill?! Wow! That's one of the four Hitch films I haven't seen.

I've seen six of his silents:

1. The Lodger

2. The Manxman

3. The Farmer's Wife

4. The Ring

5. Champagne

6. Easy Virtue

The Manxman is the Hitch silent that I actually enjoy the most but The Lodger is the better film for me. The Manxman is one of the best "triangle" films I have ever seen. Anny Ondra is one of my favorite Hitch actresses and I really enjoyed her performance in The Manxman. I really felt for the girl.

The Farmer's Wife is arguably the sweetest Hitchcock film of all. It's a light comedy with a predictable ending, but I really do enjoy the film.

Many people hail The Ring as Hitch's greatest silent but the film hasn't caught on with me yet. I really need to revisit it. The Ring is also a "triangle" film.

Champagne was the last Hitch film that I watched. I had low expectations prior to my viewing but I left satisified. It's another Hitch effort that's rather light and loose, but the film does feature a few Hitchcockian visuals. I'll post one if I find some time later on.

Easy Virtue is my least favorite Hitch silent because the drama is delivered via words more so than visuals. I enjoy the story but not the presentation of such.

I believe Hitchcock was dissatisfied with Easy Virtue, because of the limited freedom. He couldn't do the things he wanted with Easy Virtue.

I highly recommend Downhill (1927). It foreshadowed films like Notorious and Vertigo. Brilliant Direction from Alfred Hitchcock.

Not that this is exactly "On Topic" but did all you know that you can actually see Alfred Hitchcock's "The Thirty-Nine Steps" on stage? In New York City? In a Broadway Theater?

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/theater/reviews/16steps.html?ref=todayspaper

And it sounds like a better "film-to-stage" effort than Mel Brooks' "Young Frankentein".

Kyle In Hollywood

Downhill is based on the play by Ivor Novello and Constance Collier. Constance Collier played Mrs. Atwater in Rope (1948).

Downhill is an experimental film. So Hitchcock used different types of shots in the film. There are some brilliant shots in the film.

Here is the shot of Ivor Novello upside down in Downhill (1927).

http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/hitchcock/gallery/albums/uploads/misc/normal_downhill_h004.jpg

Here is the shot of Cary Grant upside down in Notorious (1946).

http://161.112.232.203/hitch/1000/Notorious%20(1946)/PDVD_00263.jpg