Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ernst Lubitsch and his films

konway87

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> That's really cool, but a little too 21 century for me....

>

> I would completely zone out on everything, if I were walking around like that. Although the idea of living in a constant bubble with all my old movie pals is an alluring thought.....

Well, I might wait a bit to see if they go down in price, but I will probably end up getting one sooner or later. It'll be so cool to be able to watch movies anytime, anywhere!

• 1 month later...

Mission accomplished. Watched TROUBLE IN PARADISE and liked it a lot. So many subtleties I had to watch it twice. Clever, challenging story. I was impressed with Kay Francis, an actress I've seen only a few times. Likewise, I've seen only four or five Lubitsch films. This is probably my favorite. I like NINOTCHKA; TO BE OR NOT TO BE. But this is one sophisticated comedy. The copy I watched was not in the best condition. But I doubt if there's anything on the New Release shelf I would have enjoyed more. No complaints!

• 1 month later...

Broken Lullaby (1932) is only drama Lubitsch made. But it wasn't successful at box office. But Playwright Robert Sherwood praised this film. I think this is Samson Raphaelson's second film as a screenwriter for Ernst Lubitsch. HollywoodGolightly, Will you post what you think about this film after you watch it?

• 1 month later...

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Nobody is mentioning "The Shop Around the Corner", which is my favorite Lubitsch film, and the best romantic comedy ever.

As it happens, The Shop Around the Corner is going to be the first film shown today as part of TCM's tribute to Ernst Lubitsch (earlier in the day they will also show A Royal Scandal, which he started but did not finish).

*The Shop Around The Corner* (1940) 8pm ET

Feuding co-workers don't realize they're secret romantic pen pals.

Cast: Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart, Frank Morgan, Joseph Schildkraut. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch BW-99 mins, TV-G

*Ninotchka* (1939) 10pm ET

A coldhearted Soviet agent is warmed up by a trip to Paris and a night of love.

Cast: Greta Garbo, Melvyn Douglas, Ina Claire, Bela Lugosi Dir: Ernst Lubitsch BW-111 mins, TV-G

*The Merry Widow* (1934) 12am ET

A prince from a small kingdom courts a wealthy widow to keep her money in the country.

Cast: Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette MacDonald, Edward Everett Horton, Una Merkel Dir: Ernst Lubitsch BW-99 mins, TV-PG

*The Student Prince In Old Heidelberg* (1927) 2am ET

In this silent film, a young prince attending college falls for a barmaid below his station.

Cast: Ramon Novarro, Norma Shearer, Jean Hersholt, Gustav von Seyffertitz Dir: Ernst Lubitsch BW-106 mins, TV-G

*That Uncertain Feeling* (1941) 4am ET

A happily married woman sees a psychoanalyst and develops doubts about her husband.

Cast: Merle Oberon, Melvyn Douglas, Burgess Meredith, Alan Mowbray Dir: Ernst Lubitsch BW-84 mins, TV-G

• 1 month later...

Lubitsch is very prominent in tonight's schedule, with TCM showing three of his pre-codes:

*The Smiling Lieutenant* (1931) 8pm ET

A misfired flirtation lands a young lieutenant married to a princess instead of the one he loves.

Cast: Maurice Chevalier, Claudette Colbert, Miriam Hopkins, Charlie Ruggles Dir: Ernst Lubitsch BW-89 mins, TV-G

*Trouble In Paradise* (1932) 9:45pm ET

A love triangle ignites trouble between two jewel theives and their intended victim.

Cast: Miriam Hopkins, Kay Francis, Herbert Marshall, Charlie Ruggles Dir: Ernst Lubitsch BW-82 mins, TV-G

*Design For Living* (1933) 11:15pm ET

An independent woman can't chose between the two men she loves.

Cast: Fredric March, Gary Cooper, Miriam Hopkins, Edward Everett Horton Dir: Ernst Lubitsch BW-91 mins, TV-G

Of the three pre-codes TCM is showing, TROUBLE IN PARADISE is by far my favorite.

There is lots of wit and sophistication in this film. The exchange between The Major (Charlie Ruggles) and Francois Filiba (Edward Everette Horton) regarding the return of Madame Collet's missing handbag is priceless! The way Lily and Gaston count the months of their relationship via the jobs they've pulled is quite humorous. There's great fun all through the movie.

Speaking of Lubitsch... I was taking a look at the Sept. schedule for FMC, it seems they're going to be showing That Lady in Ermine on Sept. 22nd. at 8am ET. It is the _only_ showing that is scheduled and this movie is not available on home video.

This is a pretty rare chance to see the last movie on Lubitsch's filmography. Don't miss it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Coming up next (9:45pm Eastern) is one of Lubitsch's best and most popular films:

*The Shop Around The Corner* (1940)

Feuding co-workers don't realize they're secret romantic pen pals.

Cast: Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart, Frank Morgan, Joseph Schildkraut Dir: Ernst Lubitsch BW-99 mins, TV-G

Don't miss this one if you've never watched it - and if you have seen it before, here's hoping you'll enjoy it again. It's a great way to start getting into the Holiday spirit.