Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Something to sneeze at

dianabat

I'm sorry about your cold. I'm currently monitoring the vote count in Iowa on C-Span and the web, but that might not be the proper viewing medicine for you.

My favorite cold & flu movie is The Thirty-Nine Steps. I never get tired of it. I've watched it so often that I don't need to strain to catch the amusing dialogue. It makes me smile, but not laugh myself into a coughing fit. It satisfies as both mystery and romance, with plenty of exciting action. I can shiver sympathetically with Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll as I pull the blankets and heating pad over myself while drinking hot tea. If you're looking at a week of this--maybe a stack of Hitchcock movies would help? Did you want something familiar or totally new?

"Quotation marks are our friends." I might have learned that sentiment, received that advice from one or more of my old English teachers. The word choice feels like my own, but I don't really know anymore. People innocently echo the words and phrases of others in casual, impetuous conversation and posts. It's a very different thing, of course, when one deliberately pastes whole passages from books (magazine and newspaper articles, etc.) into a post without properly citing the source or even a sprinkle of quotation marks. "Arrgh!"

Di,

Sorry to hear about your cold. But if you are right in the diagnosis, you will have five to seven days of varying misery.

To help get you through that, what genre of films do you like?

That will help us give you suggestions.

As for the recent spate of unfootnoted posts, perhaps they are young and do not realize the need to at least acknowledge where they getting the info that they are cutting and pasting here.

Either way, they should know that if you are citing other websites or other information sources in a post, etiquette (and more) requires that you cite your sources so that those who want to follow up for more information know where to go.

(Just in case they are reading)......

So your defenses are down, Dangerous Di? :D Well, well, well. I think I'll be taking that garter gun of yours right about now. Yoink!

I am miserable.

Is that so? Let me check your temperature. Just what I thought. You're a Phillies fan. :P Don't worry, I'm speaking to you from the grave. I'm a Pirates fan. We've long been dead. :)

Help! I want to watch something that will make all this go away. Any suggestions?

Grace Kelly, Gene Tierney, Gloria Grahame, Linda Darnell, and Ava Gardner. Those should do the trick for you. Say what? Me? No, I'm not sick. Ohhhh. I get it. You want suggestions for YOU. I get all caught up in myself sometimes. All right. ALL THE TIME. Happy now?

Well, why don't you make yourself a big bowl of Conte soup? By the way, it tastes even better when someone else makes it for you. ;)

thieveshighway2.jpg

somewhereinthenight.jpg

So what's your mood, Sicky? How's that attention span of yours? Probably not good, right? No foreign or silent? In a follow-up post, I'm gonna throw some noir suggestions at you and you tell me if you have seen them or not.

Oh, yeah, Happy New Year!

D-bat...

Sorry you're not feeling well.

If I were feeling under the weather, my personal top choice movie would be "Meet Me in St. Louis" --- not just because it's my all-time fave. Why "St. Louis" is a good choice when you feel poorly: even the conflicts in the movie are easy-going. Nothing TOO exciting actually happens.

My second choice...probably "Miracle on 34th Street." Like "St. Louis," this movie always makes me feel good. And no one even raises his or her voice, pretty much.

When I am not feeling great, I don't want to see movies that are too stimulating --- so no "Bringing Up Baby" with its snappy & witty dialogue, for instance. Certainly no dramas.

Just my two cents. Feel better!

Having had this mess since the day after Christmas and am still looking for my voice let me offer a few suggestions.

Play something you love especially if you are tired. If you are lucky enough to fall asleep than you won't have missed anything ( or at least can go replay it.) Hopefully you don't have an huge cough that makes you feel as though you will die with the next one. If so, avoid movies with lots of dialogue. You'll just miss it. If you have the sniffles go ahead and watch a weepy movie. You're already blowing your nose so maybe this will help it along. If your head hurts you can avoid everything from action movies to musicals.

In short, a nice drama that is not too complicated but you won't mind spending your time on. A "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" kind of movie.Something light might include Cary Grant's "Indiscreet."

Chances are you won't feel like watching much anyway.

P.S. This post was done with nothing to footnote.

dsclassic wrote:

"Watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 if you own any of their shows"

Here's another MST3K related suggestion.

If you own Rhino's MST3K Volume 10 and purchased the thing at retail price...log on to amazon.com and look at what the disk set is selling for these days. That information will make you feel better.

If you own Rhino's MST3K Volumes 1 through 9 and 11 and 12...DON'T log on to amazon.com and check the price for Volume 10.

I know, I know...I'm so materialistic.

Anyway. The subject of this thread...a movie recommendation. Yes, two words...Torrid Zone!

Rusty

You people! You made me laugh, you made me cough, you raised my spirits. Two out of three ain't bad.

Love the suggestions. Some I own, some will have to wait for rental. Last night I cuddled up with Jack Webb. Yeah, he's really not the cuddly sort, but watching him and Ben Alexander in the Dragnet movie was somehow comforting. Hey, I'm giving you "just the facts."

Di

Jarhfive wrote

"Watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 if you own any of their shows"

Here's another MST3K related suggestion.

If you own Rhino's MST3K Volume 10 and purchased the thing at retail price...log on to amazon.com and look at what the disk set is selling for these days. That information will make you feel better.

If you own Rhino's MST3K Volumes 1 through 9 and 11 and 12...DON'T log on to amazon.com and check the price for Volume 10."

I know all about Volume 10..

In a month there will be a Volume 10.2 with the same movies minus Godzilla vs Megalon

Replacing Godzilla is the Giant Gila Monster, which they are also selling seperately

The original Volume 10 will become the most $$$ DVD on ebay, and Ive got it :)

Volume 9 is also a money maker since its oop

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Message was edited by: dsclassic

dsclassic,

Yes. I bought MST3K Volume 10 one year ago. I paid a little under two times retail. I spent a couple of days deciding..."do I REALLY want to spend almost twice the original cost? That Volume 10 price...it is going to be exactly like those 'collectible' Beanie Babies...I just KNOW it..." I decided to buy Volume 10. I owned Volumes 1 through 9 and I...simply...well, what else could I do? By the way...the set is still in the plastic wrap. My wife made me leave the plastic wrap on Volume 10...even though I will never sell the thing. Something else I would like to mention regarding the movies included with MST3K Volume 10...the movies are GREAT! Very Funny! One of the best Rhino MST3K dvd collections!

Rusty

Message was edited by: jarhfive

Yes it is..

Whether you take it out of the shrinkwrap or not, the value will still be the same...

Its a great set, great movies to watch....maybe it will be worth more new, but if you arent planning on selling it why keep it in the shrinkwrap- watch and enjoy the episodes..

Come to think of it you can get Volume 10.2 minus Godzilla and maybe through MST3K website you can trade to get Godzilla vs Megalon VHS or DVDr...they will trade title for title as long as it isnt owned by Rhino..

When Volume 10 was recalled a found a few stores that had them & sold them on eBay for over 100.00, I haven't seen anyone lately that has a used or new Volume 9 or 10...I would love to find them both to resell :)

*Watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 if you own any of their shows I do that when I am ill*

That's so funny b/c that's exactly what I watch when I am sick. I've got bad allergies right now and I watched *Danger! Death Ray!! * this afternoon. I've seen all the eps I have so many times that I can just lay down and close my eyes and still get the jokes ;).

Here's some things I'd recommend to ailing friend whose defenses are down and who already had a bunch of friends to recommend classics to her.

Seabiscuit

Pleasantville

The Hudsucker Proxy

Topsy-Turvy

The Terminal

An Ideal Husband

A Man Of No Importance

Into The West

The Secret Of Roan Inish

The Legend Of 1900 (not to be confused with 1900)

Kyle In Hollywood

Well, I always try to watch one of the many Godzilla movies in my collection when I'm under the weather-Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero (or Astro Monster to us purists) is a particular gem.

Barring that, I'd say either a Busby Berkeley movie-any really, but Footlight Parade is one of the very best, an Astaire/Rogers flick or maybe Captain Blood. I find all of them enormously comforting when I'm sick.

I knew Minya was referring to the Son of Godzilla :) I am sure thats what your user name is for

Godzilla movies are fun to watch generally speaking, some of them are goofier than others ala Megalon..the Big G has a cult following..

I still cant fathom how MST was able to get both Megalon & The Sea Monster as experiments for the show

Bart Fargo - Danger Death Ray - terrible but good for MST3K, I enjoy the low budget spy thrillers they did like that one and Secret Agent Super Dragon

Facetious Frank wrote: In a follow-up post, I'm gonna throw some noir suggestions at you and you tell me if you have seen them or not.

Oh, yeah, Happy New Year!

I'm getting out my catcher's mitt, so throw away. ::::cough, cough, wheeze, cough:::: I could use someone else's troubles to get my mind off my own.

And a Happy New Year to you, too!

Di the Diseased

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings