Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I can look at Dorothy Zbornak memes all day.

As much as I love Blanche, I couldn't keep up with her lifestyle. Dorothy Zbnornak is my spirit twin.  

How I feel pretty much every day:

e1ce389a-16ee-4b70-8d08-766ab967e6e4.jpg

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Don’t watch GOLDEN GIRLS on Hallmark or Tvland!

their editing content to fit in more commercials is OUT OF CONTROL. They started taking out parts that even affect the continuity of the episodes.

Agreed.  I have noticed they're edited.  Apparently sometimes I'm too lazy to hit the "home" button on my TV to access my Hulu app. However, I absolutely cannot and will not watch I Love Lucy in syndication.  It is way too edited, which I notice and it drives me crazy.  I have to get out my DVD of the episode I'm trying to watch so I can cleanse my mind of that experience.  I need to have the same standards for "my girls." 

EDIT: With this discussion, I'm now watching The Golden Girls on Hulu.  I'm watching the episode where Rose tells her St. Olaf story about the herring circus and Bea Arthur and Rue McClanahan start cracking up and can't keep it together.  I don't think that was in the script.  After this episode, I'm going to switch to the episode where Rose asks Blanche and Dorothy to be on her TV Station's "women's talk show" neglecting to mention that the topic was about lesbian lovers. 

::sigh:: I really should be cleaning the kitchen.  But I need to look at the upcoming April schedule! 

• Like 2
On 2/13/2018 at 3:19 PM, CaveGirl said:

Hey, Stephan! I so appreciate your responses to my post as I think both were well thought out examinations of why we all do, well, what we do. Now my original post about the film "The 4th Man" was referring to a rather mild scene with no real sexual content between the men, just maybe a kiss or something. That was why I was making fun of the way some [not all] men become exceedingly overwrought. Now I have read Masters and Johnson and I remember reading that though many men in their testing would proclaim distaste at any sexual behaviour between people of the same sex, the researchers noticed that their physical reactions belied what they would say on the questionnaire about seeing women together. Finally they realized that the men were mentally injecting themselves into the scene with the women mentally, hence they then found it unobjectionable. As for the Marquis de Sade, I think it can be seen by many literally as only about sex, and then to others it finally becomes a diatribe against censorship of any kind and freedom of thought processes. It becomes the reverse of its outer vestiges, kind of like the old New Yorker cartoon of a very sophisticated man looking at a painting of a nude woman and saying "Oh, it reminds me of a rose." From my vantage point your very honest and introspective study of yourself, is more moral and adult and deserves to be read, than many posts that are immaturely titillating yet would not be condemned to the junk heap due to being seen as the typical bawdy comment but deep down are much more salacious in nature. Thanks for sharing such an incisive commentary on what is it like to grow up male in our society. 

Thank you very much for that CG. But in the fairness of a "fuller" disclosure I share that I have had a darker side... (I was an unabashed 'womanizer' in a former period of my life)

I also discovered and read Masters & Johnson's massive study on Human Sexual Response in H.S.
I remember being quite dismayed to discover that according to their research I was already at the peak of my sexual prowess, and I had so little to show for it....
I was also amazed to read that so few of the women in their study had ever attained an ****, which seemed so universally easy for us boys that we even had them in our sleep!
Then I learned that some women were evidently capable of having back-to-back, rapid fire, multiple **** of varying intensity within a single session, sort of like pop corn popping!
(now that is something I've never been able to experience, though I once came kinda close)
At that time I thought these physiological capabilities were immutable, you either were or weren't, so being the precocious sort of lad, I made it a personal quest to discover as many of those women as I could before my sexual odometer expired.
It wasn't until later that I understood that we (at least most of us) can learn and train our bodies in those ways as well.
The M&J work became my old testament and when I later read The Sensuous Man and became a disciple of 'M' (and follower of 'J') it became my new testament. Together they were my 'bible' of sex, of statistics and possibilities, and I sought to proselytize as many young girls to the "faith" whom I found were willing.  

For a period of time I really walked on the "wild" side. It sometimes amazes me that I have survived and remain as healthy as I still am today!

The Marquis de Sade was no doubt a complicated character (fascinating really), who lived during and through some of the most tumultuous and precarious of times. Knowing more about the author's background certainly makes it easier to understand where his "work" came from.
But when I first read him in H.S. I knew and understood none of that, so my interest in his writings at that time was 'purely' prurient and libertine in nature.

BTW I'm still a huge fan of Georgia O’Keeffe (and others, i.e. Robert Mapplethorpe, etc.) artwork (esp. flowers, plants and sometimes vegetables) -_-

22 hours ago, Thenryb said:

I second that comment. I especially appreciated his self-analysis of why many men do not like watching man on man sexual behavior. I laughed at his description of preadolescent male behavior in school bathroom. I recall competitions to see who could stand furthest back from the urinal and still reach it, which resulted in so many misses that the principal came into the classroom, excused the girls, talked about the odor in the boys bathroom, and exhorted all of us to stop such competitions. Also amusing was the way he described the behavioral changes when we reached puberty, although back in my day "f*g" was a slang term for a cigarette, and homosexuals were called "queers". I think this "self-analysis" rings true with many of us.

Hah, thanks, and I appreciate the reminder of those distance contests. I think they must have been a pretty universal male phenomena as well. Like attempting to write your full name in snow with pee!
I know of several gents today that would love to have that earlier bladder prowess, but are inhibited by an enlarged prostate.
The other word was commonly used as well. But in the states few of us that had never been to the UK used the first to describe a cigarette. Or a torch in lieu of flashlight. And I can share an embarrassing moment a friend of mine relayed on a trip to Australia when he was in a fancy restaurant and asked the waitress for a napkin to wipe his face. 

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

their editing content to fit in more commercials is OUT OF CONTROL. They started taking out parts that even affect the continuity of the episodes.

There used to be a time when a half hour show was 25 mins show and 5 mins ads. After the 2008 crash, some shows are 18mins show and 12 mins commercials !! That's just too much. I know channels like MTV have that ratio. I haven't seen that channel in decades. It seems the channels for kids are the worst. 

Funny how when Buzzr shows those old black and white game shows, they have to adjust the timing. Because they show the old commercials and new ones too! And that's when commercials just began to interrupt programming.

The worst was when some nut on Bravo decided to air "The Sopranos". It was so heavliy edited, I believe they had to splice two episodes together to have enough clean content to make one airable episode. Why bother ??

I don't depend on channels. If its a show I really love, I buy the dvd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

I know of several gents today that would love to have that earlier bladder prowess, but are inhibited by an enlarged prostate

Yep. The days of writing ones name in the snow are gone, along with sleeping 8 hours at a stretch. Some of have to be satisfied with being able to clear our shoetops.

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I love that show too.  It's on every night on Hallmark from 8pm-10pm (PST) and the entire series is on Hulu.  Blanche is my favorite character--she's hilarious.

She was mine too.

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

hqdefault.jpg

"Today we have with us Blanche, a lesbian. And with her is Dorothy, also a lesbian."

Then they put the camera on the other two women: "And this is Pat and Kathy, image consultants." 

DOROTHY: How come they aren't lesbians?

PAT (OR KATHY): We don't believe in labels

I love how by the end of the episode, being "outed" as a lesbian ends up being a boon to Blanche's love life, as she attracts a man who wants to "change" her, thinking that she's a lesbian because she hasn't had a "real" man yet. Then one of the "image consultants" shows up, on the rebound, wanting to hook up with Dorothy, thinking that she's also on the rebound.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

There used to be a time when a half hour show was 25 mins show and 5 mins ads. After the 2008 crash, some shows are 18mins show and 12 mins commercials !! That's just too much. I know channels like MTV have that ratio. I haven't seen that channel in decades. It seems the channels for kids are the worst. 

Funny how when Buzzr shows those old black and white game shows, they have to adjust the timing. Because they show the old commercials and new ones too! And that's when commercials just began to interrupt programming.

The worst was when some nut on Bravo decided to air "The Sopranos". It was so heavliy edited, I believe they had to splice two episodes together to have enough clean content to make one airable episode. Why bother ??

I don't depend on channels. If its a show I really love, I buy the dvd.

I don't watch much TV "live," the commercials are too much.  If there is something I want to watch, I'll start the show, then go do something else for a little bit, then come back to the show and rewind.  Then as I get to the commercials, I'll fast forward. I keep doing that throughout the show, hoping that I don't catch up with the live feed. 

I tend to mostly restrict my viewing to Hulu, PBS and TCM.  Shows that I love, I own on DVD.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I know.  Murder, She Wrote is like that too. :(

We've gone from FFMN in the first thread to the Golden Girls in this one.
Never realized that show was so risque (or funny).

Boy, if this thread ends up getting censored over this then something must be horribly puritanical about these boards!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

We've gone from FFMN in the first thread to the Golden Girls in this one.
Never realized that show was so risque (or funny).

Boy, if this thread ends up getting censored over this then something must be horribly puritanical about these boards!

Sounds as if you've never seen a picture of our lead moderator around here, eh Stephan?!

Well, here she is in all her glory...

old+librarian.jpg

(...yep, but I DO hear she loosens up a bit with a few drinks in her)

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Sounds as if you've never seen a picture of our lead moderator around here, eh Stephan?!

Well, here she is in all her glory...

old+librarian.jpg

(...yep, but I DO hear she loosens up a bit with a few drinks in her)

Bring on the wine! (cases of it!) :D

• Haha 4
On 2/13/2018 at 6:44 PM, speedracer5 said:

I love that show too.  It's on every night on Hallmark from 8pm-10pm (PST) and the entire series is on Hulu.  Blanche is my favorite character--she's hilarious.

I can watch a marathon and not get tired. Great work by creator Susan Harris and sometime writer, Gail Parent who also wrote for "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman." Sorry have to go fix that waxy yellow buildup on my linoleum floor.