Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

War of the Worlds (1953)

princessananka

I got a great double-feature DVD for Christmas: WAR OF THE WORLDS and WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE. The Technicolor looks gorgeous in both movies and I was entranced anew at how beautifully produced both movies were--especially WAR. Maybe that's why I totally hated the Tom Cruise remake which was ugly looking with grim, gray and washed out hues. In the l953 production, color was vibrantly abundant and greatly enhanced the movie. And those aliens in their weird King Cobra like machines were still pretty damned scary.

Do any of you remember this one?

This should be in the Science Fiction Genre Section..

no biggie :)

War of the Worlds is one my all time favorites, When Worlds Collide was a bore to me...

Tom Cruise one I liked , but fails in comparison to the original

I like action blended with science fiction, so even if it is remake, if it stands out on its all, chances are I will enjoy it

Both of these George Pal science ficition film classics still stand up today- thanks to the brilliant fx work. The Maratian war machines are both terrifying and beautiful- ( you should get your hands on a terrific issue of Cinefantastique dealing with the making of " War of the Worlds" " When Worlds Collide" is also great- amazing what could be done with miniatures and matte paintings!

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I saw WAR OF THE WORLDS. I thought the shift from England to California might hurt the movie, but it did not, and the movie is still powerful today. Sir Cedric Hardwicke's voice lent an air of authenticity to it.

However, if you look closely at the flying machines, you can see the wires suspending them.

They should have used the tripods from the novel- it could have been done with stop motion animation back them- but it would have taken a lot time to do. The scene in which the girl encounters the martian in the farm house is still very effective.

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings