Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Most Overated person in film is?

Moviebuffer12

Good topic for discussion.

For actors, I have to agree Brando is at the head of my list.

As annoying as Tom Cruise is --- and he IS --- Cruise turned in genuinely good performances in several good movies. Agreed, his public image these days is just ridiculous. On the other hand, other than "The Godfather," I think most of Brando's roles were way over-praised.

For directors, no way Hitchcock. He may have had a misstep here and there, but "North by Northwest," "Rope," et. al., guarantee his legacy. My vote here: Orson Welles. Sorry, but I don't think "Citizen Kane" is THAT good, and the rest of his canon --- meh. I don't think those Ambersons were that magnificent.

I will agree Orson Welles is overrated as a director , as well as Paul Verhooven, Stuart Gordon & Ridley Scott (at least IMO, I only liked Alien from RS)

Ok, these are sci fi and horror directors,but thats my main thrust

Roman Polanski is another one, although Chinatown is excellent - I still have better movies that it, but for the 1970s it will stand out.

Mario Bava who had a few big hits, but a lot of his work in horror wasn't all that having seen several of his movie

I will still stick with Cruise as an actor, maybe Marlon Brando, maybe John Agar :) or Clint Eastwood ??

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Message was edited by: dsclassic

for actors: Marlon Brando or Johnny Depp..... both play the same character over and over

for actress: Julia Roberts.... same flaw

for director: Steven Spielberg.... pretentious to a fault

Wow.......Brando is on everyone's list. Not mine. His career was shaky, but his influence was immense. Brando was clearly ADHD.....and was bored with acting by the late 50's. With him, like Welles, it's about "What could have been".

Most overrated?

Hmmm. For me thats tough, because in art, I tend to focus on the good. Not so easy in real life.

Oliver Stone? Two great 80's flicks and a lot of bombast since?

I may get hammered for this, but I wonder how many stinkers were helmed by that "Master of Proficiency", Micheal Curtiz?

Not a big Sinatra fan, or Lawrence Harvey, for that matter. Is there an award for "Best Picture Featuring Actors That Bore Me?"

I'd have a much easier time with underrated. I'll start with Muni, finish with S Penn, and have a lot in between. This Mark Ruffalo seems to be on to something. King Vidor. No reason, but I've always liked Lilli Taylor (the chorus of owls is deafening....WHOOOO?).

I agree that Orson Welles is overrated becuase I never thought his films including Citizen Kane were that good. David O Selznick is definentily not overrated. If he made Gone With the Wind, there limit to how high he can be rated. Johnny Depp seems rated pretty well. Alfred Hitchcock is overated because his films took forever for action to start. I remember falling asleep while watching Rear Window as a kid and Frenzy as an adult. People think he is one of the greatest directors of all time, but I think he is slow and repetitive. I used to think that Steve Martin was overated. Then it hit me one day. He isn't rated that highly these days :)

Message was edited by: Moviebuffer12

Message was edited by: Moviebuffer12

I'll bring out my old saw, again...Elvis Presley. A real second rate performer who was catapulted to unreasonable celebrity because he was there between the romantic balads of the fifties and the Beatles and Rolling Stones phenominon of the sixties. His three-note range and grotesque gyrations are a joke.

Evidence of just how desperate the teenie-boppers were for something new.

I think the majority of members here will whole heartedly disagree that Hitchcock was overrated...he is the master of suspense , he builds up characters stories before things happen

Now I dont like every single Hitchcock movie, but the ones I do like, I really really like, and the ones I don't like, I am simply not into the story or characters...I havent truly disliked/jhated a Hitchcock movie

Johnny Depp is the cream of the crop to me, again I don't like all the films he does, but he is an incredible performer in all his roles...

Depp plays the same weirdo character no matter what he plays. He changes his voice (big deal) but it's the same thing over and over... has he ever plays a normal everyday character? All he can plays is WEIRD... and you can keep your snotty LUDICROUS comments to youself.....

Brando was too influential to be overrated- he wasted his talent and could have made better films. Depp does not play the same character over and over- he could have made a fortune on his face alone but he likes to take chances in quirky not always successful character turns.

the comment was that my opinion was LUDICROUS.... my response was to that comment.

Far too many people on message boards are unable to disagree without name calling. He/she could have stated his/her opinion without saying my opinion was LUDICROUS....

I did

oh and I would add Rod Steiger to the list of "overrated." Of course this is all just personal taste and opinion, but all he ever seems to do is bellow and rant.... did anyone catch THE BIG KNIFE?

I find that I must at least in some respects defend Elvis. True he was not Oscar material, to say he was just a pretty face is oversimplifying his role in music and movies, I've seen several of his movies and they're not great literary works of art,however , I can think may worst ways to spend a couple of hours in front of a tv. As I said, in a earlier post theres always the what if, factor, what if he'd had the gumption to get rid of the Col. and start a company of his own, Overall, I liked Elvis, If I had to say, I liked the young hungry Elvis, of the early 50's Elvis, in later years was heavy and just riding on his fame, if he'd really worked with his own production company and kept the music changing he wouldn't have needed comeback specials,,, But, I can't just outright dismiss him completly...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings