Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which classic stars get you pumped up??

randyishere

Name 10 to 15 classic actors and 10 to 15 classic actresses who you get excited to see in anything... these classic stars almost never let you down as a fan/viewer. Then, if you like, go ahead and name 7 classic up-and-comers that are recently getting your attention.

These are the ones that make my day if TCM should trot their movies out:

John Gavin/ Bette Davis

George Sanders/ Lana Turner

Guy Madison/ Susan Hayward

Robert Taylor/ Hedy Lamarr

Farley Granger/ Ann Sheridan

Richard Egan/ Linda Darnell

Clark Gable/ Joan Crawford

Tyrone Power/ Alexis Smith

Richard Greene/ Jennifer Jones

Jeff Hunter/ Vera Ralston

Herbert Marshall/ Kay Francis

George Nader/ Ida Lupino

Charles Boyer/ Merle Oberon

Sal Mineo/ Yvonne DeCarlo

Rory Calhoun/ Mae West

Jeff Chandler/ Rita Hayworth

Up and comers: Hillary Brooke, Sheila Ryan, Marguerite Chapman, Joan Blondell, Lizabeth Scott, Ella Raines, Maria Montez, Robert Cummings.

Thats too many but I will name a few I look forward to seeing in a movie

Humphrey Bogart

James Stewart

Abbott & Costello

Lauren Bacall

Gene Tierney

Ingrid Bergman

Godzilla

The Rock

Boris Karloff

Peter Cushing

Bruce Willis

Vincent Price

Ray Harryhausen created monsters in stop motion

Any monster that the effects are good+

A lot of times I look forward to seeing them in a movie, and when I watch it, I am ho-hum

Norma Shearer!

Irene Purcell

Godzilla-love that green lizard! Especially in the cheesy Japanese movies-don't care for the Hollywood versions. My favorite is "Godzilla Vs MechaGodzilla"--I love that little song the Princess sings to wake up the sleeping Pekingnese dog-monster. And MechaGodzilla is kind of evil-looking--as much as I can tolerate, anyway :)

Love the Ray Harryhausen movies! I love the one with the skeletons springing up to fight, and that wicked music in that scene. These are my kind of "horror" flicks, LOL.

I'm just gonna lump the actors and actresses together and also through in some directors and producers.

Gary Cooper

Clara Bow

Jean Arthur

Barbara Stanwyck

William Powell

Cary Grant

Clark Gable

Boris Karloff

Vincent Price

Myrna Loy

Esther Ralston (her movies can be hard to come by though)

Frank Capra

Val Lewton

Up and Comers:

Jean Harlow

I forget to list Fay Wray as a fave and her husband and screenwriter Robert Riskin.

Message was edited by: coopsgirl

Yes I love Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla - and the sequel Terror of Mechagodzilla...Id say the best of the Godzilla from the 1970s..

The Dog Monster is King Ceesar or something like that, and his growl is the same is King Kong in Kong vs Godzilla

The Japanese actor Akhiko Hirata is in both movies, the first as the hero doctor, and Dr Mafune in the 2nd one...& was in quite a few big G movies...

Message was edited by: dsclassic

The following actors brighten up my day...

Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Ronald Colman, Greer Garson, Mae West, Jean Harlow, William Powell, Myrna Loy, Melvyn Douglas, Greta Garbo, James Cagney, Tyrone Power, Alice Faye, Betty Grable, Deborah Kerr, Robert Mitchum & Henry Fonda.

I will sit and watch many more, but here are 20 (sorry) to start with who I can't resist:

Gary Cooper

Clark Gable

Rod Taylor

Humphrey Bogart

Brian Keith

Vivien Leigh

Carole Lombard

Myrna Loy

Marilyn Monroe

Spencer Tracy

Robert Mitchum

Robert Ryan

Gene Tierney

Ava Gardner

Lana Turner

John Wayne (except war films)

William Powell

Robert Montgomery

Joan Blondell

Thelma Ritter

Susan Hayward

Ronald Colman

Linda Darnell

"Up and comers": Sterling Hayden, Marion Davies and to a lesser extent, Russell Crowe

Edited to include Roddy Taylor and Brian Keith. :)

Message was edited by: MissGoddess AGAIN to include Bogie! How could I forget him!

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

It's funny, I really don't get "pumped up" over stars that much. It's directors and films where the majority of my excitement and energy exists. When TCM posts a schedule, I search for directors or certain films, especially noirs. Having said that, here are my lists:

1. Gloria Grahame (for me, no actress constantly sizzles like Gloria does)

2. Gene Tierney

3. Joan Bennett

4. Barbara Stanwyck

5. Louise Brooks

6. Carole Lombard

7. Grace Kelly

8. Madeleine Carroll

9. Linda Darnell

10. Claire Trevor

11. Thelma Ritter

12. Ingrid Bergman

13. Claudia Cardinale

14. Ava Gardner

15. Simone Simon

16. Veronica Lake

17. Ida Lupino

18. Rita Hayworth

19. Shelley Winters

20. Esther Howard

Up and Coming: Marie Windsor, Yvonne De Carlo, Joan Blondell, Ethel Barrymore

Intrigued by: Myrna Loy, Lana Turner, Marlene Dietrich, Vivien Leigh, Greer Garson, Ann Sheridan, Susan Hayward, Mae West

1. Robert Ryan (yes, my dream pairing is Double R and Double G and they meet up in Odds Against Tomorrow.)

2. Dan Duryea

3. Dana Andrews

4. Orson Welles

5. Boris Karloff

6. Peter Lorre

7. Cary Grant

8. Richard Widmark

9. Robert Mitchum

10. Edward G. Robinson

11. Humphrey Bogart

12. Jimmy Stewart

13. Sterling Hayden

14. George Sanders

15. Joseph Cotten

16. Buster Keaton

17. Emil Jannings

18. Conrad Veidt

19. Walter Brennan

20. Lee Marvin

Up and Coming: Frank Sinatra, Glenn Ford, Van Heflin, Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Ray Milland.

Intrigued by: Robert Montgomery, John Garfield, Charlie Chaplin, Alan Ladd.

1. Alfred Hitchcock

2. Fritz Lang

3. Anthony Mann

4. F.W. Murnau

5. Otto Preminger

6. Jacques Tourneur

7. Orson Welles

8. Sergio Leone

9. Stanley Kubrick

10. Samuel Fuller

11. John Huston

12. Nicholas Ray

13. Robert Wise

14. Howard Hawks

15. Billy Wilder

16. Jules Dassin

17. James Whale

18. Robert Aldrich

19. Preston Sturges

20. John Ford (uh-oh... trouble)

Up and Coming: Joseph Mankiewicz, William Dieterle, Joseph H. Lewis, Elia Kazan, Josef von Sternberg.

Intrigued By: Ernst Lubitsch, Jean Renoir, Robert Siodmak, Douglas Sirk, Max Ophuls.

And Coop's Girl gets this from me " :x " for mentioning Val Lewton. All Lewton pictures pump me up.

great question randy!!

im not listing all of my favorites, but the ones that really wake me up and get me "pumped up", here's my list:

GARY COOPER (majoly big time heehee)

GREER GARSON

errol flynn(his movies just make you want to get up and go sword fight someone.:) )

ann miller( she makes me want to dance forever)

fay wray

clara bow

loretta young

fred astaire

ronald colman

walter pidgeon

humphrey bogart/lauren bacall

vanji(van johnson)

ty power(another one that makes me want to swashbuckle heehee)

richard greene

bushrod(robert taylor)

alan ladd

danny kaye

abbott and costello

bob hope

robert ryan

william wyler

alfred hitchcock(his movies arent my favorites, but he ceretainly knows how to keep you on your toes, i do enjoy watching them occasionally) there! are you happy frankie?!

frank capra

ida lupino

up and comers: lew ayres, douglas fairbanks jr., paul henried

alfred hitchcock(his movies arent my favorites, but he ceretainly knows how to keep you on your toes, i do enjoy watching them occasionally) there! are you happy frankie?!

That's better.

I'm just playin'. You shouldn't list Hitch at all, Sweet T. He's not your favorite. Come on now. I know you like Fritz Lang more. :P

Have you ever seen Stage Fright? How about Mr. and Mrs. Smith? I think you would like those two Hitch films.

im not so much on the Fritz Lang side though, i do like a couple of his movies, but not so many.

I know. Lang doesn't attract too many female fans. If you know of any, send them my way.

humphrey bogart/lauren bacall

Now we're talkin'!

Now we're talkin'!

i love all the films lauren and bogie made together, i have them all!

Have you ever seen Stage Fright? How about Mr. and Mrs. Smith? I think you would like those two Hitch films.

yes i have those two movies frankie! i watch them with grandmama often. she loves suspense and she got me into them a while back.

i like Man Hunt, Cloak and Dagger, M, the Blue Gardenia, and i have seen Clash by Night, but i didnt like it too much, i thought it was okay. i think i have seen a few more.

i love all the films lauren and bogie made together, i have them all!

I'm a very big fan of Key Largo. I love the cast.

Have you ever seen The Farmer's Wife (Hitch silent comedy) or The Manxman (a Hitch triangle love film)? Those two films would be more your speed, if you can handle silents, that is.

i like Man Hunt, Cloak and Dagger, M, the Blue Gardenia, and i have seen Clash by Night, but i didnt like it too much, i thought it was okay. i think i have seen a few more.

I've never seen Man Hunt. There aren't too many Lang films I'd recommend to you. Destiny would be the closest. Have you seen Ministry of Fear?

So what are the three Greer Garson films that "pump you up" the most? How about Coop?

no i havent seen either of those silents, but i am getting more into silents now that i have watched some of gary's silents. i will definitely look for those frankie!

key largo isnt my favorite of theirs, but i like it. i like To Have and Have Not the best.

man hunt is a good one frankie, you would like it. now i cant wait to see Destiny, your descripyion is great! no i havent seen Ministry of Fear either, but have heard loads about it. do you think i would like it?

greer: pride and prejudice, valley of decision, and mrs. miniver are the ones that get me pumped up so much, but then again random harvest does that lots too! i just get so into them when i am watching them it isnt even funny.

gary: along came jones, the hanging tree, and i guess peter ibbetson. it is just so hard to pick only three of gary's movies that pump me up, b/c they all really do, anytime i see his face i smile!

man hunt is a good one frankie, you would like it.

I think that I would, too. Secret Beyond the Door... is the Fritz Lang film I want to see the most. I'm also very intrigued by You and Me.

no i havent seen Ministry of Fear either, but have heard loads about it. do you think i would like it?

It's a good suspense film and it's not too dark or violent, so I think you could possibly like it. You won't love it, though.

greer: pride and prejudice, valley of decision, and mrs. miniver are the ones that get me pumped up so much, but then again random harvest does that lots too! i just get so into them when i am watching them it isnt even funny.

Which Greer films do you think would be the closest to my tastes?

gary: along came jones, the hanging tree, and i guess peter ibbetson. it is just so hard to pick only three of gary's movies that pump me up, b/c they all really do, anytime i see his face i smile!

I didn't know you liked Peter Ibbetson that much. That's great.

Actors:

1. James Cagney!

2. John Wayne

3. Lee Marvin

4. William Holden

5. William Powell

6. Henry Fonda

7. Sterling Hayden

8. Gary Cooper

9. Robert Mitchum

10. Dana Andrews

11. Joel McCrae

12. Steve McQueen

13. Howard Keel

14. Walter Pigeon

15. Ronald Colman

16. Van Johnson (lol, sorry, I had to add another)

Actresses:

1. Jean Arthur

2. Bette Davis

3. Norma Shearer

4. Olivia de Havilland

5. Joan Blondell

6. Ginger Rogers

7. Susan Hayward

8. Rita Hayworth

9. Edna Mae Oliver

10. Irene Dunne

11. Ann Sothern

12. Claudette Colbert

13. Paulette Goddard

14. Shelley Winters

15. Virginia Mayo

Frank-My-Doppelganger -- Once again, you lure me into a stupid list of actors when I, too, first peruse the TCM schedule for directors.

With each list of 20, the first listed is tops for me, and thereafter it is in alphabetical order.

Actors/Actresses

Barbara Stanwyck

Joan Bennett

Humphrey Bogart

Timothy Carey (waiting for him, weren't you)

Charles Chaplin

Claudette Colbert

Marlene Dietrich

Dan Duryea

Cary Grant

Sterling Hayden

Myrna Loy

Ida Lupino

Lee Marvin

Robert Mitchum

Marilyn Monroe

Edward G. Robinson

Robert Ryan

Randolph Scott

James Stewart

Richard Widmark

Directors

Orson Welles

Robert Bresson

Charles Burnett

John Cassavetes

Charles Chaplin

Carl Th. Dreyer

Samuel Fuller

Howard Hawks

Stanley Kubrick

Fritz Lang

Joseph H. Lewis

Anthony Mann

F.W. Murnau

Max Ophuls

Yasujiro Ozu

Otto Preminger

Jean Renoir

Jacques Tourneur

Erich von Stroheim

Billy Wilder

P.S. You would L-O-V-E Secret Beyond the Door, not that obsessions are your thing.

I think that I would, too. Secret Beyond the Door... is the Fritz Lang film I want to see the most. I'm also very intrigued by You and Me.

im not too anxious about seeing Secret Beyond the Door, it doesnt look like such film i would love.

It's a good suspense film and it's not too dark or violent, so I think you could possibly like it. You won't love it, though.

ill take your word for it. heehee!

Which Greer films do you think would be the closest to my tastes?

um i think you would like Desire Me. it is a suspence about greer who is married to a man (rob mitchum) who is in a prison camp. he has a "friend" in the camp with him and rob mithcum spends the whole time there looking at greer's picture and explaining his whole life with her and everything about her to this guy he met at the camp. they both try to escape and his "friend" escapes first leaving him behind, b/c get has gotten jealous of his wife. meanwhile she thinks her husband is dead and this other guy has gone to their house trying to get her to fall in love with him and marry him quickly. but he is so freaky! i wont tell you how it ends b/c i dont want to spoil it for you. heehee! but i think you would like it.

but your softy side might actually enjoy a couple others too. maybe. heehee!

I didn't know you liked Peter Ibbetson that much. That's great.

oh yes i looooove Peter Ibbetson! that is one i always cry to about as much as i cry to Random Harvest. heehee!

I will watch any and all films with the following stars in them - I'd even be willing to re-watch the worst film they ever made, in fact:

Actors:

1. Gary Cooper

2. Clark Gable

3. Rudolph Valentino

4. Ronald Colman

5. William Powell

6. Gregory Peck

7. James Cagney

8. Humphrey Bogart

9. Charlie Chaplin

10.Franchot Tone

11. Tyrone Power

12. Dana Andrews

13. Charles Boyer

14. Laurence Olivier

15. Cary Grant

16. Montgomery Clift

17. Spencer Tracy

I leave Errol Flynn off this list because while I ADORE him and would (and in fact already have) re-watch most of his films, I don't think wild horses could get me to re-watch CUBAN REBEL GIRLS. :P I'd re-watch Bogie's SWING YOUR LADY before I'd re-watch CUBAN REBEL GIRLS! Otherwise, Errol Flynn would definitely be on the list.

Actresses:

1. Barbara Stanwyck

2. Myrna Loy

3. Kay Francis

4. Olivia deHavilland

5. Carole Lombard

6. Bette Davis

7. Claudette Colbert

8. Joan Fontaine

9. Jean Arthur

10.Rita Hayworth

11.Marion Davies

12.Janet Gaynor

13.Norma Shearer

14.Doris Day

15.Lauren Bacall

16.Jean Harlow

17.Lucille Ball

Actors & Actresses:

Marlon Brando

Glenn Ford

Richard Widmark

Gregory Peck

William Holden

James Cagney

Jimmy Stewart

Sidney Poitier

Frank Sinatra

Gene Kelley

Lee J. Cobb

Steve McQueen

Bette Davis

Vivien Leigh

Joan Crawford

Future classic star that gets me pumped up would be: Johnny Depp

What's up, Greek Goddess Lover -- Frank-My-Doppelganger

That would be, "evil doppleganger." I'm Bizarro to your Superman.

Once again, you lure me into a stupid list of actors when I, too, first peruse the TCM schedule for directors.

So I'm not the only one lost in a galaxy of stars.

Stanwyck is numero uno?! She even tops the guys, eh? Wise decision. I can't wait for The File on Thelma Jordon on January 18th at 8:00 PM EST and The Furies (Missy & Mann!) is expected to be a Criterion release later this year.

Of course, you know that I love your lists. Fantastic selections. Yes, I'm even going to overlook you not listing Hitch... again. I save all my Hitch teases for a certain skirt-wearin' Texan.

The biggest surprises for me are Marlene, Marilyn, and Claudette. I didn't know you were a fan of them. I still haven't ventured into their worlds yet. I've only seen one "Marilyn" film, the The Misfits, which I love. I borrowed the Marlene Glam Collection from my brother. Despite my case being hopeless, I'm going to watch Morocco first.

P.S. You would L-O-V-E Secret Beyond the Door, not that obsessions are your thing.

Obsession? Me? Naaahhh. I'd never be so foolish. You do hear Bernard Herrmann's "Vertigo" chords, don't you? No? I thought so.

Something tells me you are right. I bet I'm going to L-O-V-E Secret Beyond the Door.... I'm thinking it's going to be top ten for me in terms of Lang films and I wouldn't be shocked if it pushes my top five. Yes, I've got high hopes for the film. I sure as heck hope it's released to DVD.

Hiya, Skirt-Wearin' Texan! -- im not too anxious about seeing Secret Beyond the Door, it doesnt look like such film i would love.

It doesn't sound like your kinda flick, Sweet T.

um i think you would like Desire Me. it is a suspence about greer who is married to a man (rob mitchum) who is in a prison camp. he has a "friend" in the camp with him and rob mithcum spends the whole time there looking at greer's picture and explaining his whole life with her and everything about her to this guy he met at the camp. they both try to escape and his "friend" escapes first leaving him behind, b/c get has gotten jealous of his wife. meanwhile she thinks her husband is dead and this other guy has gone to their house trying to get her to fall in love with him and marry him quickly. but he is so freaky! i wont tell you how it ends b/c i dont want to spoil it for you. heehee! but i think you would like it.

but your softy side might actually enjoy a couple others too. maybe. heehee!

I think Desire Me could be my speed. I'm a Mitchum fan. I'll be taping the Greer Fest on January 19th. Of the films being shown, I'm most interested in Goodbye Mr. Chips because I like Robert Donat.

Hey, Georgia Gal! -- Are you still around? I thought you took off again.

I will watch any and all films with the following stars in them - I'd even be willing to re-watch the worst film they ever made, in fact:

The worst film they ever made? Well doesn't that consist of most of the films your top four actor choices ever made? :P

At least you have some taste: Bogie, Grant, and Dana Andrews (woo hoo!). By the way, Errol gave me your things to burn. Do you actually wear this stuff?

As for actresses, I can't complain. Shocking, I know. Listing Missy as #1 almost makes up for Coop, Gable, Valentino, and Colman. Almost.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings