Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Johnny Depp YEAH or NAY

dsclassic

"I can't believe Depp is going to be 45 years old. I remember him from 21 Jump Street days."

Hahaha... Yeah......7-9 Sun Nite Fox line-up, late 80's. I'm Depps age. Two friends, assorted lovely's our age, and a case or two of beer, every Sun nite.

Good Times !

He is one of the best actors of his generaion. He is very versatile and can play any kind of charactor. Yes, he has chosen some challenging or "unusual" roles, but that is just a tribute to his unique and broad depth. He is very attractive and I think that sometimes is a hard thing to overcome. You have to go the extra mile to prove you are more than just another pretty face. Our outer shells play such an unfair yet important role in how we are perceived by others...Especially in the business he is in. I have a feeling he will be entertaining us long after his beauty begins to fade and that ultimately he will go down in history as one of the greatest actors of all time...YEAH!!!!!

I'm still saying "nay" to Johnny Depp even in light of his recent Academy Award nomination. I congratulation him on the nomination but I fear we will see that same blue tuxedo that he always wears at the upcoming awards show. Aye yi yi. I mean, nay.

A big Yay.

I have always respected him for having the guts to break out of the Hollywood mold. He is also one of the best actors at picking roles (look at Ben Affleck- he may be good, but can't pick a movie to save his life).I always liked that he knew what he was good at and stayed within that range.

It bothered me a little that he never showed a lot of emotion in his acting. I still liked him, but felt he was a bit of a cipher. Other people in his movies took care of the emotional aspects, or the director cut away so he didn't have to "emote". Or he hid behind a lot of makeup, working from the outside in.

Well, I have to apologize to Mr. Depp, now that I've seen "Sweeney Todd". He was not only feverishly emotional, but- he could sing! and he did it well. I can honestly say that he was absolutely brilliant. I may not appreciate the type of mind that could come up with the story of "Sweeney Todd", but Depp's portrayal was deep, angry, tortured and sincere. It was spot on.

I am always happy when someone in Hollywood chooses something different, and with Depp in the lead, we are able to see movies like "Chocolat", "Finding Neverland", "Blow", and yes, the "weird" ones. I for one am glad to see something other than the big blockbusters of the previous era, like Die Hard, or Lethal Weapon. They have their place, and are enjoyable, but can you imagine a world in which we only get "Rambo" or "The Terminator"? ohhh.......wait a minute.......

Yeah. I liked him in "Edward Scizzorhands," "Finding Neverland," etc. But, honestly, I loved him in "Don Juan DeMarco."

I remember watching "21 Jump Street." You say he'll be 45, eh? Wow. I guess I'm older, too, then.

I never paid that much attention to him until my daughter became obsessed. Which is unusal for her. So I started watching some of his movies paying closer attention and he is good. I like Benny and Joon and Cry Baby besides the ones mentioned. He really studied all the little details to the dancing shoes Chaplin routine. And the Buster Keaton that he also did in Benny and Joon. I like that he makes the movies his own and does it his way.

Also I read this little mention of up coming movies from years ago about Pirates and it said basiclly, " a Disney ride and Johnny Depp, this is a movie to miss. " Of course that was while they were making it.

Though I'm a bit squeamish about gore and could never see all his movies, I think he has done a good acting job in the ones I've seen. In period films in which he is neatly groomed, he's very handsome. (I often find myself not noticing actors are good-looking until they are in some film set in 1910-1960 and they haven't any facial hair and their hair is neatly combed back! Same with James McAvoy in Atonement.)

Archived