Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does this plot ring a bell?

Not a made-for-TV movie. Probably a 1940 film noir.

"The poster remembers the plot like this: a man and his mistress have either just killed, or are about to kill, the man's wife. The wife was about to go on a train trip, so the mistress impersonates the wife to create an alibi, etc. The man also sent a fake letter to himself, pretending it to be from the wife. However, some passengers on the train somehow figured out the mistress wasn't the wife, and the train was stopped, the police started investigating the missing wife.
The poster thinks the movie was black-and-white but gave a range as wide as 1930-1970. Naturally, I leaned towards 1940-1960 as the plot seemed apt for a film noir.
In fact, the plot as described sounded to me like a mixture of the off-screen plot Thorwald comes up with in Rear Window and the on-screen murder plot in Double Indemnity, but the original poster insists it's neither of those. 
I did some searching and came up with the '47 film noir They Won't Believe Me, which I haven't seen but which, according to Wikipedia, has a similar plot, but the poster said that wasn't it either. 
Anyone happen to know this one?"

Not: The Kennel Murder Case, Libeled Lady, The Falcon Takes Over, The Saint's Vacation, Evelyn Prentice, Double Wedding, Reckless, Topper Returns,and My Man Godfrey. They Won't Believe Me, Columbo: Prescription Murder, Postman Always Rings Twice